SRAM 1999 ESP 5.0 Shifter

• Easy cable change
  • Grip cover design

• User Reviews (19)

phil   Weekend Warrior [Jul 25, 2001]
    Strength:

works sometimes

doesn't shift smoothly, it's slow, you have to mess with it to get in the rihgt gear, pieces break off easy, it'a grip shift.

if it didn't come on my bike it wouldn't be there

Similar Products Used: the shifters on those cheap $80 NEXT bikes at walmart
    Francois   Weekend Warrior [Apr 07, 1999]
    Strength:

Strong, reliable and easily ajustable

None that comes to mind

I do not know how nice or easy it is to use rapidfires but these ESP 5.0 's is just fine for me. They are extremely easy to adjust, and actually needed only 2 minor adjustments throughout the year. They shift positively and not too easy so that you would shift unintensionally on a rocky singletrack. The advantage of gripshift is that you can shift a lot of gears with one twist. I have also fallen with my bicycle a couple of times and no harm came to my shifters or deraillers. I would think the ESP shifters would obviously work best with ESP deraillers (as they suggest in my Sunn manua).l

Similar Products Used: None
    Kace   Cross Country Rider [Oct 05, 2001]
    Strength:

light, cheap

can be hard to grip in wet

These have had a few complaints on the site, but they're not so bad. I don't know if i'd trust them to move the rear mech, but for L-hand use I don't think you need to spend much more. I actually like having 2-3 clicks between chainrings- you can "fine-tune" to prevent rub when using different rear cogs. Can be slippy in mud, otherwise reliable. Sure you can do better but for the price I reckon they're a good compromise

Similar Products Used: Shimano lever-type
    TOBY   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 1999]
    Strength:

CHEAP

CHEAP

FRIEND BOUGHT A BIKE WITH THIS ON IT, PEICE OF CRAP. THEY ARE ON THOSE $100 HUFFY'S AT WALMART IF THAT TELLS YOU ANYTHING. FRIENDS WOULDN'T SHIFT, REGUARDLESS. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING INEXPENSIVE GO SHIMANO.

Similar Products Used: SHIMANO ACERA, ALIVIO
    RavenHawk   Weekend Warrior [May 06, 1999]

These are terrible. I have older Gripshifts which are much better. It used to only have one click on the left shifter to get from 1-2 or 2-3. Now, there are 3 clicks to get there. This causes a lot of probems because if you shift in a hurry, you could wind up between 1-2 and not shift at all. I don't know why there are no other comments on this.... My old Gripshift 300's are FAR BETTER....not one problem in 6 years and only ONE CLICK!
    DO NOT BUY!

Jarno   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 03, 1999]

In the beginning the shifters didnt work fine on my Giant Box3 but fter some tweaking i can change gears with just a little twist.
    About changing gears downhill.
    JUST CHANGE TO THE RIGHT GEAR BEFORE GOING DOWN

Phil...   Cross-Country Rider [Mar 15, 1999]
    Strength:

Cheap, light,

Somewhat hard to service. Snap-together construction.

They have work excellently for me, and given me no trouble that I can remember. I have yet to actually clean them in two years, and they just keep on working. Mine are the older non-ergonomic shape models. They have a cheap snap-together construction that harkens back to those nightmarish snap-together plastic airplane/car/tank models that fell apart within days of assembly. But these have stayed together, and havn't required much maintanence. I had to change a cable once. I think that the cable change could have been easier with a little more engineering. I have heared that the new models have a handy cable change hatch. So that grip would be null if I had the newer model.

Dan   weekend warrior [Mar 10, 1999]

Let me start off by saying that most reviews on this site seem biased, and that's understandable seeing how enthusiastic bikers are about their equipment; here I have an advantage as I neith love nor hate this product. Three stars are awarded this product for the following reasons: (1) they are affordable [I think, they came with the bike, erm] (2) They are not as great as Shimano XTs, but that is to be expected with the price drop [XTs deserve a 5 star if your are willing to pay the price]. (3) The initial troubles I had with getting the gears to work smoothly was solved by some simple tweaking and (4) all that said they probably deserve a 4-star rating, if it wasn't for the extreme pain to the hands from using these shifters; sure your won't break your thumb of tire it out but it will look like a skinned chicken before you adopt a more pain-free method of shifting. Not to be recommended for use in competition however, but then again I don't belive they were intended for competition seeing how they are the bottom end of SRAM's product range.

Drazi   weekend warrior [Jan 28, 1999]

The shifting of this product is quick and smooth, and has been problem free so far. It is a lot easier on your hands than the rapid fire shifters. You do not have to worry about your thumbs getting tired.

Matt Kaufman   cross-country rider [Jan 10, 1999]

I have a Grip Shift Centera shifters on my Trek bike. They are terrible! they do not shift right, even after having them adjusted. I already broke some of the Grip Shift shifters on my KHS bike. DO NOT BUY THESE PIECES OF JUNK!!!