SRAM 1999 DI.R.T. Plasma Shifter

• Short Shift Rotation®
  • All conditions Attack grip cover

• User Reviews (32)

Zach Wentzel   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 06, 1999]
    Strength:

Fast, precise shifts. Easy cable change/lube.

Thin plastic.

These shift sooooooo much better than the LX rapidfire that came with my bike. I broke the first front shifter I had but it was replaced for free and I havn't had any more trouble. I love the multiple clicks on the front shifter.

Similar Products Used: Gripshift SRT 400
    Scott   Racer [May 25, 2000]
    Strength:

Lightweight, looks, price, PERFORMANCE!

C'mon!

Did I mention PERFORMANCE? I was a litle skeptical making the switch since I learned on thumbies but am I ever glad I did. The shifting is dead on and the micro adjust front is outstanding. They shift better under load and, unlike my Shimano's, I can shift several gears at once. The simplicity is another big plus. Easy to setup and adjust. I know I'll never go back. Might be the best $40 I've put into my bike. Flaming turds all around for SRAM!

By the way, these are the 2000 Attacks, I am reviewing. MTBR won't include them in the review page for some reason so I throw 'em in here since they are the same.

Similar Products Used: LX, XT
    Bikey Boy   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 01, 1999]
    Strength:

fits with Magura Tomacs, quick,positive, no need to change your grip on the bar, light

are there any?

I got sick of the good XT shifters not mating ergonomically with my Magura Tomac brake levers and so decided to take the plunge to Gripshift controls. I don't know why i resisted for so long because now i have shifters that fit around my brakes better and also have the quickest, most positive, quietest and best shifting that i have ever experienced. They are very easy to set up even though you do have to be careful if you are installing Teflon coated cables with them. They are also really easy to adjust on the fly.

Similar Products Used: 1997 and 1996 XT rapidfire
    Blake   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2001]
    Strength:

Quick, easy shifting. Reliable. Works well with XTR/XT Component setup.

Sometimes misses front 3 drlr, but performs great otherwise

First time I've used grip shifts...before only Shimano Rapids and I think these are great...highly recommended.

Similar Products Used: Shimano rapid fire.
    Rob   Cross Country Rider [Aug 12, 2000]
    Strength:

Shimano-compatable twist shifting that works.
    On-the-fly-tuning keeps front deraileur from scrubbing.
    The cable hatch is a Good Thing.
    Tough as nails.

Only 90% as good as a full-up ESP system.
    Didn't come with a sticker to put on my car next to the Apple logo.

I like twist-shifting, period. You may like triggers -- not that there's anything wrong with it -- some of my best friends use RF's. But I like twisters. Problem: new bike came stock with LX RF's driving XT rear & LX front derails. I had several options to get this new bike shifting right: swap it all over to my old 8 speed ESP system, put on new 9 speed ESP, learn to live with RF's (naaaah), or slap on some Plasmas and go ride.

The Plasma option was the easiest and cheapest, and so far it's working out fine. They talk to my Shimano XT & LX stuff a lot better than the X-Rays I used to use Back In The Day (and that wasn't all that bad either). No, it doesn't shift *quite* as well as the dialed-in 8 speed ESP 9.0 on my old bike, but this could be the difference between 8 & 9 speeds, or maybe a different chain, or... well it's pretty minor.

Bottom line: if you've got to have twisters and are building up a bare frame, go with an ESP system from the start. But if you're standing in your LBS thinking "this bike would be perfect, if it just had twisters I'd buy it", get the shop to trade out for Plasmas and go ride. It'll work fine.

Similar Products Used: Several permutations of 8 speed X-Rays shifting XT & LX derails; 8 speed ESP 9.0
    iain   Downhiller [Aug 04, 2000]
    Strength:

fine shifting
    lightweight
    good feel
    easy to set up/change cable
    cheaper than shimano
    available singly for downhillers like me

none really

The are really nice shifters. I initially bought the pair so I can definately say that they are both really good. The soft tacky grip is grippy all the time and won't give you nasty blister unless you're really soft. Sometimes they are a bit slippy in the pouring rain but then everything is.

They also work with shimano mechs (which are cheaper).

Stonking really - if you like gripshift and you want 8spd (as all good bikes should) than these are for you.

Similar Products Used: other gripshift and XTs
    Raf   Cross Country Rider [Aug 03, 2000]
    Strength:

Good grip and simple design, perhaps fool-proof

None so far

These shifters are much better than Shimano. Period.
    They are tougher than the other SRAM models.
    Get 'em if you want something that last and almost
    bombproof and they are cheap as well. US$40

Similar Products Used: Older Gripshift
    Mark   Cross Country Rider [Jun 21, 2000]
    Strength:

Light weight, smooth shifts, easy to use, inexpensive

NONE!!!

I rode the 800 X-ray's since about '95. I upgraded to the 9.0's recently when I found cracking on my x-ray's. The difference is huge. The 9.0's are so much smoother and easier to shift. I've used rapidfire (still do on my commuter bike), and I find Gripshift to be much better. This was definatly a worthwhile upgrade.

Similar Products Used: Gripshift X-ray, rapidfire
    Joe Ruggless   Cross Country Rider [Jun 15, 2000]
    Strength:

Positive shifting, easy to setup and adjust. Looks good, less clutter than a rapid fire set up.

None!!!!

Awsome. This peice of hardware made riding my bike so much more enjoyable. I was using a grip shifter on an inexpensibe mongoose that I ride around work, (big facility)and liked it. But was afraid to make the jump, on my high dollar bike because of performance concerns. Read a whole bunch of articles that said, rapid fir is the best. Pro's say rapid fire is the only way to go. Well, I finally bit the bullet, and bought the highest end shifter that I could find, the Plasma Grip shift and I want to tell you that I am not dissipointed at all. These things are hot. I just purchased a brand new Specialized FSR enduro Pro. It won't be long before I install a set of Plasma grip shifts on it.

Similar Products Used: Lesser quality shift grips.
    J (froggy) Laflamme   Cross Country Rider [Jun 11, 2000]
    Strength:

Simple design is less prone to breakage
    'Snoopy's nose' is the only mechanical part.
    Micro Adjust on the Front shifter
    It Locks onto the next gear
    Shifts well under load

Large grip diameter (can get used to)
    Had to replace my 98 LX levers (too short, wanted Avids anyway)
    The cable replacement isn't that great.

I got these when my RF front shifter bit the biscuit. Since they were priced as much as 98 LX pods, I decided it was time for a change.

Since I removed the derailleur to ride in the big ring I had to reinstall it. Did what I consider a half-@ss job. It and the rear derailleur hit the shifts dead on. No adjustment of the barrels. A Shimano setup after changing cables is ALWAYS finicky.

It forced me into switching to Avids. They aren't long enough but better than the stubby LX levers.

The larger grip surface is going to take a while to get used to. After years I developed the shimano grip (middle brake, index and thumb shifter), this doesn't feel the same.

The Straight Dope.
    These shifters are far more accurate than the LX shifters. The front has 2-3 extra detents between gears, allowing you to fine tune the front a la thumbies. And the rear is a solid shift,it drops the gear right on demand. There is ZERO chain dance while the derailleur stalls. This was a problem with the LX (but they were worn after 3 years)

The cable replacement isn't fool proof. There's some edge that the new cables can catch on. But they include a second hatch so that you can feed and lube.

Will I don't like the stationary grip the precise shifting is sweet. The is WAY better than the older GS, which I hated

Similar Products Used: SRT 400, 800 X rays,LX pods,RF, RF+,...thumbies...