Shimano XTR Shifters Shifter

The Shimano XT SL-M780-I 10 Rapidfire Plus shifters easily convert to either a double or triple crankset mode with the simple turn of a screw on the left shifter. The shifters are mounted directly to the brakelevers using Shimano's Ispec technology. Unique 2-way cable release accommodates individual riding styles or shifting (index finger or thumb.)

xmessenger   [Sep 07, 2013]
Strength:

Feel, build quality, and shifts.

Price?

Where are all the reviews for the latest 10 speed XTR?...Heres mine after a brief time.
They do feel quite crisp which is different from the Shimano I'd known way back(my XT in 99). Definately not vague. They feel very well made and are still made in Japan as far as I know which is assuring. Funny, adjusting using the barrels on the shifter(nolonger on the derailleur) I must turn allot more to make a differance which must be the new actuation ratio. I like this as it seems to make fine adjustments easier and keep the derailleur aligned better basicly making Shimano allot less finicky than in the past which really was about the only criticism over Sram.
I am really happy. I really like the double upshifts and its quick. The down shifts of course again are spot and and feel crisp. Zero sloppyness or play. I will say this. My other bike which was my only bike for the lsat decade is an old 1992 Rocky Team Comp, a sweet light steel rigid built up with higher end 90s era stuff and honestly the Suntour XC thumb shifters are equally fast at shifting, if not faster due to the fact they can instantly drop any number of gears in any direction, they are also ergonomic despite what you may pisture in your mind using your thumb to push and the outer edge of your hand/index finger to pull you never let go of the bars and its very easy...if you used them. Just find it amusing how so overly complex and heavy these things are after all these years and really the Suntours are better in many ways than any shifter out there. Keepin it real.

SimpleJon   Cross Country Rider [May 20, 2011]
Strength:

Looks great, easy to dial with XT 9 speed gearset, smooth and effortless shifting, light weight

Price

I actually wanted the XT shifters but no stock so splashed out on the XTR 9 speed I am pretty glad I did on balance. The precise and instantaneous shifting with Jagwire Ripcord is a significant improvement from the LX 9 speed shifters they replaced, it is very useful to go from top to bottom gear in two or three clicks. The adjustable levers are another great feature allowing perfect placement with the brake levers. I have also never understood the purpose of the indicator windows on shimano shifters these are thankfully missing. I do think they are over priced, I don't know how two little metal and plastic pods can cost $180! Also I didn't give 5 chillies because I haven't used them for long yet so can't comment on the reliability.

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX 9 speed, SL-R770 flatbar road shifters, X7, XT
Hasse   Cross Country Rider [Jul 30, 2010]
Strength:

Shifting, looks, adjustability (but maybe not enough)

STUPID positioning of the bar clamp bolt, price

On the first ride I hit my kneecap hard on the mounting bolt. It happened two times. On the 770 and 760s the bolt is hidden and more smooth.

Similar Products Used: XT 770, XT 760, older XT, LX
mnjason   Racer [May 14, 2010]
Strength:

Quick, durable, quality. Love the double-push & bi-direction on the "finger" shifter.

softer push than SRAM

these shifters are unbelievable. I actually have them setup with a rapid-rise derailleur and love using my thumb to push the lever once/twice for downshift.
These shift fast (instant release) and smoothly. They don't have the crisper feel of the SRAM, but that's subjective.

Finally, the ability to adjust the lateral location on the bar is great: allowing a tighter or more open feel with the lever.

Similar Products Used: XT, XTR dual control, X.9
BokorSolo   Cross Country Rider [Dec 26, 2009]
Strength:

Got these for a great deal, double click to upshift, two big sweeps can drop you down to 1st gear. Lightweight enough and works great.

Price under normal circumstances.

This is a review for the SL-M970 Series of Shimano Shifters.

These are awesome shifters. I would recommend these to anyone looking for a great pair of shifters. They shift like butter and work great on my XT hardware. I love these shifters.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT shifters
Russell Ruggiero   Weekend Warrior [Jul 16, 2003]
Strength:

Build Quality

Dear
Reader

I like my stock Shimano LX shifters, but XTR is a great top of the line product. Smooth as silk, with a price to match. They look great with my Icon Graphite foursome (Stem, HB, SP, and Crank). If you want the best, then please take a look at this superb Shimano offering.

Russ

Similar Products Used: LX
Russell Ruggiero   Weekend Warrior [Jul 16, 2003]
Strength:

Build Quality

Dear
Reader

Russ

Similar Products Used: LX
Dave   [Aug 28, 2003]
Strength:

NB - M952 STIs (Brake and Shifter Combo)

Look
Weight
Shifting - bearings and shift action a very big step up on at least LX (haven't run XT) - shifting is as light as clicking other shifters when there is not cable tension

Cables - pay for Ride On / GoreTex cableset and you will probably have the best shifting action to be had.

How long will they continue to look nice?! (They seem to look far nicer under Studio Lights - damned marketing!

Price - they are expensive - shopping around is important (in the UK at least, mail order prices varied by almost £70 / $100). Since bought for £100 / $150ish, that's a lot...

Aside from the risk of bailing out and damaging either the shifter or brake lever (get separates if you bail a lot!) - a relatively 'cheap' upgrade.

Note 'cheap' in light of my FD and RD - no need to have topline across all drivetrain to benefit from XTR controls (though considering XTR RD now).

In this way, a very satisfying upgrade treat for non-serious/weekender types.

A good place to start especially if on the step-by-step upgrade tree - unless you are out for XTR Cranks, any other XTR part will be cheaper (barring Discs) so good psychological trick to play on oneself. You never know, a few times of "It's only £50" or Ebay bargains and you might end up with an almost-XTR Groupset!

Similar Products Used: Original Thumb-Shifters, Classic Altus, Radidfire Plus, Alivio, STX, LX
Euan Carr   Cross Country Rider [Apr 05, 2006]
Strength:

Shifting

Cost

They are noticeably lighter to use and crisper shifting than XT units.

For something that you use a hell of a lot each ride that has such a long expected lifespan I reckon the extra cost is worth it.