Shimano XT Top Mounts (yes the old ones) Shifter

XT Top Mounts (yes the old ones)

Shimano XT Top Mounts (yes, the old ones)

lebikerboy   Weekend Warrior [May 11, 2011]
Strength:

Reliable, robust, and work forever...

Little tricky to find space on the bar to work with my brakes...

Broke my rear 8 speed XT shifter so I replaced with these
off a bike that was being junked. Not as ergonomic but do they ever shift well? Kind of funny as these are the same type of shifters the bike came with...

Similar Products Used: Lots and lots of Shimano some SRAM...
xmessenger   Weekend Warrior [Feb 27, 2011]
Strength:

Guess!100% reliable/bombproof. No cheap plastic inards. Easy to maintain and replace cable. Not too heavy for an old product.Friction front shifting is superior.Multi gears shifts in one move.

Admittedly, not perfect ergonomically.

I have the DX thumbies(same as XT w/stamped steel instead of aluminum mount)These are from 1992!Still work great.Got em used and were a little sticky and a quick shot of lube had these snapping out shifts like new.These are the best I've used.They do not have the super light flick a light switch action like triggers but then there is very little throw AND I can drop lots of gears easy AND front shifts I have complete control over.Yes these will outlast your brand new ultra complicated uber shifter.

Similar Products Used: Grip shift 500's,X Rays, DX rf, 8spXT triggers.
TortugaFL   Cross Country Rider [Aug 11, 2010]
Strength:

Bombproof-simple- ALWAYS WORKS

Seriously?

I have used there on my Klein since 1988 and on the Trek since 1992. All I have done is just cleaned and lubed them once in a while. Come on, 20 + years and they still never miss a shift? Scour EBay, and trash all that other stuff. If you look around you'll find them. Maybe a little pricey, but they'll last longer than you will!

Similar Products Used: Suntour thumbies
yellowknifebiker   Cross Country Rider [Apr 20, 2009]
Strength:

These are bomb proof and flixible 6speed, 7speed, 8 speed could probably do 9 speed in friction.

Nothing they are perfect

These are without a doubt the best shifters ever made. Don't be fooled that they say 7 speed they are 8 speed shifters in the M732. If you look at the m730 6 speed thumbies they are actually 7 speed, both have an aditional click. I have used rapid fire and although they may be more ergonomic I belive durability beets ergonomics. I had some XT 8speed rapids. Thought I would try them on a winter beater. two rides in -20 weather a bling it broke. Thumbies hundreds of rides in temperatures down to -40 where the bearings on the wheels siezed but the shifters kept on shifting (although little stiff below -30). I will use nothing else!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: grip shift, rapid fire etc
Big Daddy Blue   Cross Country Rider [Jun 27, 2003]
Strength:

Will withstand a nuclear bomb blast, uglier than sin, young bucks don't know what they are, bike shop guys make fun of you for riding them, always work no matter how dumb I am, can't be easily found.

Not quite as snappy as Suntour XC pro's, not as svelte as XC Pro's, not as exclusive as XC Pro's, not easy to come across anymore.

I got mine while working in a shop here in SLC when a lady brought her demolished KHS. Apparently she flipped her car with the bike on the roof and rolled it about 7 times. She got a new bike and I got the old stuff off her destroyed bike. One of the perks of working in bike shops. Anyway, I've never ever ever ever had problems with them. I'd like to see any other shifter survive a crash like that. Endoe'd and cracked your XTR housing? Hit a tree and shattered your GS housing/cable tension adjuster? Gotten sand in either of them and had them ever shift again? If you can find some good ole thumbies either Suntour or Shimano and you don't buy them, well, you deserve the life of hell you've brought on yourself. I got mine and I'm never getting rid of em. 5 flaming turds fer exclusivity, 5 flaming turds because I got some and you don't. Plus, the kiddies are flabbergasted to see such archaic(?) stuff on the trail.

Similar Products Used: Gripshift (Yeah, right. Gimme something that WORKS!!!)
Rapidfire, RF+, Quantum underbar shifters (remember those?)
Joe   Racer [Jun 18, 2003]
Strength:

I've been riding topmounts since back in the day and guess what,I'm still using one set of 1988 SIS thumb shifters on my new 2003 rig.Both Suntour XC Expert and Pro and Shimano's Deore and XT can go up to 8 speeds.Index to friction mode in an instant when you tweak the derailluer.Bullit proof and durable.

Hard to find,command a high price.Someone should start making them again so we can have a choice other than rapid fires and grip shifts.

Still don't know why Shimano dropped the topmounts.I haven't had any problems with shifting or durability for for 17 years and they are still in high demand from people looking for something bullit proof.
I busted one tiny part on my Rapid fires and I was told I needed to buy a whole new shift/brakeset.What the hell!
I like my stuff to last and I don't like being forced to buy something I don't need.I'm not being a retro-grouch.I just want tough parts.
Bring back the topmounts.

Similar Products Used: Suntour XC Pro and XC Expert,Shimano Deore XT and Deore.
Sebastian   Cross Country Rider [Feb 09, 2003]
Strength:

Simple function, almost unbreakable, will keep on working with all dearranged equipement.

Not longer available.

When I was a boy I used to dream of having Deore equipement. I thought I would never be able to afford it. When I became older and started to earn money the first thing to buy were Deore XT topshifters. I love them. I can't imagine to have anything else. It's simply a passion.

Similar Products Used: Deore (2/DX) top shifters, Exage Trail top shifters, Gripshift, Rapidfire
Pablo Estevez   Cross Country Rider [Dec 01, 2003]
Strength:

Best shifter for touring. Always works. Very simple, precise, durable.

Difficult to find.

I've been looking for this thumbies for 8 years and finally found it ;-), I think XT thumbies are perfect for Touring, easy shifting, always work, everytime, everywhere. Excellent for long trips.
Hey!!! Shimano!!! why dont you start making XT thumb shifters again???? what are you waiting for????...I will need another set for my wife's bike, and a few more sets....just in case ;-))

Similar Products Used: NO. just RF.....ok for racers.
Austin Cyclist   [Oct 30, 2001]
Strength:

9 speed indexing. Dura-ace perfection. Friction option.

funny looks and having to explain what I did..

ohhhhh yeah.. check this out:

Its a hack, a last ditch effort to finally get what I've been missing for so so long.. What I did was take 2 sets of old bar-ends and cut them down.. note how the one is parallel with the handlebar, the dura-ace bar-con shifters (9 speed indexing!!) fit inside perfectly. About 50-60 bucks at Nashbar.. $$ but worth the dream.. its so perfect.. I had to use the Titec titanium (150g version) handlebar, since it is the same diameter all the way next to where the stem clamps onto the titec shim.. which is how the bar end is able to slide this far in.. the dual bar-end setup has the added bonus of being infinitely adjustable in terms of angle, reach, etc..