Shimano SL-M970 Shifter

SL-M970

PreferTo stay with aTraditional (non Rapid Rise) rear derailleur?These are your shifters of choice.They feature a new sliding mount for optimized positioning with your brake levers. Designed for use with aTraditional rear derailleur (971, 750, 570, etc) Kit includes left and right shifter, plus cables and housing 215 grams Handles 9 speed drivetrains andTriple cranks These raiseThe bar over previous RapidFire shifters with key features:Instant-release shiftingA click ofThe release l

Micka   Cross Country Rider [Jun 21, 2009]
Strength:

Lightweight
Very light & quick shifting
Instant release
Choice of thumb/index finger for up shifts (i.e. to harder gear)

No gear indicator

Paid approx. AUD$220.

Shifter set comes with teflon coated cables, housings, ferrules, rubber crud stoppers. Housing is sections, not full length.

My time on the XT dual control seems to have permanently changed my shifting technique - I hardly use the multiple downshifts available (up to four gears in one throw of the lever) due to my subconscious anticipation of what gear to be in ahead of the obstacle.

At the same time I bought these I bought a pair of XT M765 hydro levers (to replace my dual control setup). These levers to not fit nice & flush with the XTR shifters (forced to have brake levers/shifters at a slightly different angle to each other due to bolts/master cylinders getting in each others way). I've found a good compromise position but I am looking at getting a new XT brake setup to completely resolve this issue.

I put no gear indicator as a weakness, it's not really - ride by feel, not by a number!

Yes they are a bit expensive, but worth it. Ball bearing internals means no signs of a weakening mechanism as deore was starting to show at a year old.

Similar Products Used: Deore rapidfire (3+yrs), '04 XT Dual control (3+yrs), '08 XT rapidfire (tested)
fcaw11   Weekend Warrior [Apr 20, 2009]
Strength:

Lighting fast shifts, no gear indicator, light weight. Downshifting can be down with index finger or thumb. Adjustablity of shifter reach. All metal internals.

It'll make your non m970 deraileurs shift faster, period.

Similar Products Used: SL-M569, SL-M760, X9
Bob R   Cross Country Rider [Mar 22, 2009]
Strength:

Light, snappy shift, rapid shift

Expensive

These work very well. I have them set up with XTR rapid rise. I was concerned about the compatibility with the rapid rise since several stores state that these work best with normal high derailleurs. I like the fact I can downshift dump several gears by just holding my index finger on the lever. The rapid fire feature is great combined with the rapid rise..

Similar Products Used: XTR shifter/brake combos
Jorge Liwanag   Cross Country Rider [Apr 01, 2008]
Strength:

Many possible position. Accurate and precise shifting. You can also use only your thumb in both upward or downward shifting!!! Not only that but also on the same push motion!!! - on two different levers.

Need to remember for the 1-2 weeks which lever is up shift and down shift. - if using the above strength.

The BEST upgrade I had.

Similar Products Used: Nothing I know with the same advantage as the above strength
Muell Torvald   Cross Country Rider [Oct 20, 2007]
Strength:

Smooth responsive shifting, adjustable pod position without moving clamp, dual action release lever

Not a weakness, but most user should be aware there's no gear indicator

I was an original shimano XT shifter & derailleur user. Derailleur broke, so I decided to try the Sram X.9. The 1:1 actuation meant longer actuation travel for the thumb shifter. Shifting performance was smooth, but I got stubby thumbs, which made it slightly uncomfortable to shift. I really liked SRAM's thumb up and downshift, so I decided to move back to Shimano once I've found out they had something similar. My greatest initial concern with the XTR was that the release lever can unload 2 gears instead of the standard 1. One may think this can cause accidental mis-shift. I'll be honest, it can, but only under extreme conditions, such as while trying to shift on a very bumpy ride/climb (very rare). It did took slightly more effort to get the 2nd click on the release lever. My XTR shifter is tied to my XTR derailleur, so shifting performance was very very smooth and predictable. Overall, I'm very happy with the performance of the product and it had lived up to the past reputation of XTR products.