Shimano Alivio M430 Shifter

Shimano Alivio M430 9-Speed Shifter Pods offer long lasting, reliable shifting performance. Redesigned shift levers are more ergonomic and feature Shimano's two-way release system, previously found on the most expensive shifters Shimano had to offer.

DanZo337   Cross Country Rider [Jul 08, 2012]
Strength:

Affordable 2-Way release shifters, snappy shifts, aesthetically appealing to people who may not know the rep of Alivio in the MTB world.

Minimal design requires frequent maintenance to keep up performance, 1 piece so you don't have much freedom in placement on your bars

Like most ,these came with my bike. Have been using them for about a month now, riding almost everyday of the week.

Although I don't have much to compare it with, I'm the type of person that goes pretty hard on their equipment. I've been pushing these shifters through trails day in and day out and here is my experience with them.

I've had to open up each shifter once so far to tighten up the lever. The thumb shifters seem to loosen up after frequent shifting. The first time I had to open them up was when my bike was new after only a couple hundred KM; Who ever assembled the shifter, didn't seat the spring properly inside.

Other than that, I'd say it's an alright set for a casual rider, if you're a frequent shifter e.g. trail rider, the frequent maintenance may be a hassle for you.