Sach Power Grip Extreme Wavey Shifter Shifter

Power Grip Extreme Wavey Shifter

Sach Power Grip Extreme Wavey Shifter

mike b   Cross Country Rider [Dec 17, 2001]
Strength:

twist shifting is inherently wrong.
will not, will not, will NOT work with shimano derailluers--even if installed and maintened by a competent mechanic.
zero durability
just generally skanky and creepy in every way.
made by a company which made millions of ball bearings for the nazis in the second world war.

twist shifters are WRONG. they should go the way of the dodo and countless other species which have become extinct due to their inability to adapt to a changing world. when companies first began to make twist shifters, why were they so stupid as to not make them one hundred percent compatable with shimano deraillieurs? why did'nt they just come out with an integrated system? NO!!! they tell you to put a new SPRING or your deraillieur or to use some sort of contraption called a "rollamajig"? so i get to by a set of shifters that are crap AND something that makes my mechanic explain to me the meaning of hate?

my sachs shifters needed constant adjustment, never worked in the mud and just generally caused me worlds and worlds of grief almost every moment i owned them. the replacable rubber part that fit over the actual system had the durablity of a piece of bacon on a farmhouse breakfast table. i was always breaking cables. i started thinking about how badly my bike was shifting instead of how nice the dang thing rode otherwise.

and they're made by nazis, to boot. christ.

i've never owned any twist shifter that worked. not sachs, not sram, not even the chuck-nut toy company. twist shifters and a stupid contraption dreamed up by knuckleheads who all wished they were on motorcycles. they make a sickening racheting noise when you shift them, which makes you wonder whether or not you're ripping the derailliuers off of your bike.

no wonder sram is making a paddle shifter now.

i wish there was a way to give a zero score on this thing, becuase this is one of the few products that cause me to taste bile in my mouth every time i think of it.

Similar Products Used: xt
grip shift crystal clear or whatever--this too is a horrible product.
dave weatherall   Cross Country Rider [May 31, 2000]
Strength:

very, very precise

bit bland, but then it's euro right, so they obviously more concerned with something functional, rather than mad aesthetically pleasing

they work, what more can you ask? hammer them, glide them they still deliver unflinching shifting.

Similar Products Used: XTR rapid fire, lx rapid fire, sram 9.0
Ian   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 07, 1999]
Strength:

Looks
Thin Grips
Cheap

Front shifter not precice

Decent Shifters. My main complaint is that you have to do a bit of searching to find the front gear you want. Instead of clicking it once and you're there, I have to click, click, click until I feel it shift. I'm not sure why they made it this way, but I think it would be better if it was not. Other that that, it is fine

Similar Products Used: Grip shift
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Jan 16, 2001]
Strength:

Excellent performance with Shimano
Good multi-click non-indexing front shifter
Light weight
Inexpensive

Sometimes shifter collar barrel detached from shifter

I am a big fan of Sachs shifters. I started off with the Wavey shifter to replace the lousy front Shimano LX front shifter I could never keep properly indexed, and gradually used it on all my bikes. They are great, though recently I tried a friend's bike with Sachs Extreme shifters (bought VERY cheap on closeout $35) and they work even better, I like the more aggressive surface. With the Sachs shifters you can ride your hand up on the large outer flange or collar & give your hands a break from riding fatigue, or get more twisting power if you need it.

The multi-click non-indexing front shifter is a great time/hassle saver. Tried Ritchey's 9-speed rear shifter as well (which is a Sachs Wavey product) and it too works wonderfully. I notice Uncle Knobby likes SACHS shifters, too.

Only problem I have had is on one rear shifter. I crashed and after that the collar on the shifter would occasionally detach with use. I fixed it with a dab of superglue.

I was sorry to see these shifters dry up, I hope the new SRAM products work as well.

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX (1997)
NITF   Weekend Warrior [Aug 06, 2000]
Strength:

Comfortable grip with decent shifting for the price

Slightly sloppy shifting over time

Worked great for about a year then became a little sloppy, admittedly I could have pulled and lubed the cables to improve it but I planned on replacing them after they didn't compare to my SRAM Plasmas in shifting. Just ran into the same problem as Sean and my indexing spring broke so I have to replace them now anyways.

I will probably replace them with the same type either Extreme or Wavey again not sure if there is any difference other than the grip, but I really like the flared barrel.

All in all good shifters, excellent considering you can get the front for about $9 and the pair for $35.

Similar Products Used: SRAM Plasma
Sean   Weekend Warrior [Apr 10, 2000]
Strength:

not Shimano, cheap

dodgy spring

They were sweet, until the indexing spring (the thing that makes the clicking noises) died! And no you can't fix it, without buying a new spring, which you can't buy cos nobody deals in parts these days...Anybody else had this problem?

Similar Products Used: Deore LX
alex   Weekend Warrior [Apr 04, 2000]
Strength:

easy to setup/use strong cheap

gives me blisters works backwards 2 normal gripshifters

mmmm click mmmm cheap ooowwww blisters!

Similar Products Used: grip shift (snapped)
stx rc/alivio (ate tree)
Joe.G.   cross-country rider [Feb 10, 1999]

I have these on my bike thats 6 months old,they are vrey light and definately worth the money.Although they are a bit stiff but I am sure it is my cables, if you wan't some cheap,smooth,light,and good looking shifters get these.

Peter   weekend warrior [Dec 02, 1998]

I've been using this shifter from Sachs for a while now, and so far I've had no problem with it. I used grip shift's product before this one, and that needed too much adjustment (maybe because I've Shimano XT rear derailleurs from 1993),
but the Sachs works perfectly.It's cheap -about the third of Grip shift's same level shifters- , massive -my brother had a crash, and landed the shifter on a rock, they both survived- , easy to repair -if anything should go wrong-
,and works good. What more do you want?

marco   cross-country rider [Aug 26, 1998]

Excellent shifting with Shimano derailleurs! Bought mine real cheap from LBS, 'used' as they were OEM equipment on some bikeBetter action than on any GripShift I have used, precise and not too stiff. (yes, the new cables and covers help quite a lot). Only problem is that these work in the opposite direction than my old GripShifts...