White Brothers AP-1 Air Seatpost

White Brothers AP-1 Air Seatpost

Intended Use:Cross Country Racing and All Terrain Riding
Travel:63mm
Spring:High Pressure Air
Damping:Pressure damping automatically adjusts to air pressure
Sizes:26.8 & 27.2
Length:350mm

[Jun 15, 2011]
RSWMTB

Strength:

Dampens well.

Joint where post body joins rail clamping assembly.

JUNK! Poor Construction.

Was riding today and CRACK! The saddle was tilted straight up! HAd this on a ROAD BIKE to boot. Upon looking closely, under the boot (conveniently where you can't see it), the post body is joined to th eclamping assmebly with nothing more than MATED SURFACES. No welds, pins, rivets, anything...just two parts, stuck together. And when it goes, the cup-like mount at the top of th epost will have it's paper-thin rim break, as mine did.

Again, I had this on a ROAD BIKE (my cross training bike for my MTB rides ya know)...only thing 'hitting' it wa road vibration.

A poor product...don;t waste your money.

Thud

[Jun 27, 2008]
annonymous

Strength:

light-weight & effective

torsionally weak... after riding this for a while, some play develops from side to side. I returned my first post and they sent me a new one, but after a month or so, the new one developed the same play. I got used to it, so it's no big deal. But it definitely feels loosie goosie. I'm also a big rider... 6'4", 200 lbs., so I put more stress on it than your average rider.

I've been riding this post for years. I'm used to the side-to-side play that develops quickly, but I wish it wasn't there. The post does it's job very well, but I wish it was just a little more bomber. I can't say that this is the ultimate shock post because I haven't tried any others. I'm giving this a "good" review, only because of the side to side play. If the post was stronger and didn't have the play, I would give it an excellent review.

[Jul 12, 2003]
Some Guy

Strength:

Super smoothe, light, super quality, sexy post, can adjust it to your weight (i'm super light, so i needed this post over the others which were meant for riders over 150 lbs, im about 130)

a hassle to adjust during a ride.... loses air slowly, my seal popped..=/........ pricey, and kinda sqeeky, but that was probably my seal about to blow, lol

This is a good post, light, good quality and all that, and smoothe. Unfortunately it loses ait slowly.. but that didnt bug me much.... and how you could adjust it to your weight was really cool. but, the seal broke on a ride about 8 miles out, and, well, i rode on it deflated for a while, hope i didnt ruin it, i still need to bring it into the shop. but.. i hardly ever looked at the post, or.. did anything to it, so i guess its kinda my fault the seals broke. but, overall i was very happy with it, it saved my arse on every ride.

Only a rigid titec

[Oct 15, 2005]
Craig

Strength:

smooth long travel

a little side to side motion, but all my other sus seatposts did the same thing!

So much smoother than my Thudbuster, and looks better and is lighter. Doesn't lauch. Lots of travel

Cane Creek, Rockshox

[Dec 05, 2003]
Warren

Strength:

light weight, etc

currently - side to side play - and now, its broken - I will follow-up. I am a 215lb guy, the scale for the use of the product indicates someone of my size can use it. I have done two fall rides with this post, and it snapped last night on an outing, without trying. it had some side to side play last night, and my rear tire slid out, the side to side play became the full way around.

I like the post, and it has some potential to by my version of a ST, but, this remains to be seen. I will give it one more test, then I am going back to the Thomson seat post for good.

Thomson - no issues with this post.

[Jul 01, 2002]
Pat

Strength:

Smooth, no stiction, well damped.

Rotational play

This post outperforms the others I've had. My wife has the same size Litespeed frame which has a Rockshox post allowing us to switch bikes and make comparisons. The White Brothers post soaks up more hits in a more controlled fashion. However, the Rockshox post performs well and can be found on sale for about half the cost. My reservation about this post is the small rotational play which developed almost immediately (the Rockshox unit has been ridden almost a year and demonstrates none). Reading the other posts makes me anxious about longterm durability.

Thudbuster, Coda, Rockshox

[Sep 24, 2006]
John Murphy

Strength:

Smooth supple ride. It really took the edge off of the rocks/roots/pot holes on the trail. It is easily adjusted with a shock pump.

I snapped it in half on a road ride to the trails after about 10 monthes of use. They fixed it but it is sticking again.

Their customer support was very appologetic when it broke and I mailed it back to them. It took them much longer to return it than they said it would, but no big deal. I called them about it and a real person answered and I talked with the actual person who was repairing the post. Try doing that with any other company!! When I got it back it worked perfectly. I was very happy. But that didn't last long. I was out in wet conditions and it started to stick again. It wouldn't compress/return smoothly. I followed their lubrication instructions and it didn't return to preride smoothness. Needless to say I need to contact their customer support again. I will update the review after I get it straightened out. Everything I've heard leads me to believe that they stand behind their products so hopefully it all works out. I hope I can get it working as before because it was a great asset for the old hardtail!

[Nov 07, 2002]
yves gagnon

Strength:

good action/travel

upper part of the post

the post started to act up after 3 months and one day the upper part of the post came off the post. one of my cycling friend had the same thing happen to him. white bro. replaced the post but it took 2 months. and the price is too high. poor design

rs sus. post

[Oct 19, 2002]
f-pig

Strength:

2-bolt head works nice.
Not overly heavy.

Not enough damping for my taste in initial set-up and damping adjustment required disassembly.

I decided I don't like my seat dropping out from under me as much as this allows. If I run the air pressure high enough to prevent it dropping too far, then it is too springy. Maybe people that like a softer ride will find it alright. Mine is hardly used and for sale ($90), e-mail me if you are looking for one.

None.

[Mar 22, 2003]
Zack Henderson

Strength:

Little stiction, very responsive, improves comfort when decending.

I noticed lateral movement in the post. It doesn't bother me, but by tightening the brass pin in the middle of the post, you can reduce the movement. It is also pricey.

This post is worth every penny you pay for it. The idea of having an air-sprung post is great. Having this post improves your riding by increasing the room for error and softening the downhills. I ride about twice a week, and this post has not shown any signs of weakness or wear. The White Bros. Ap-1 is definatly the way to go.