USE XCR Seatpost

USE XCR Seatpost

The USE XCR Suspension Seatpost comes with the SUMO clamp. With chunky looks and burley design in a super strong package, the SUMO XCR seat post is engineered to take a pounding and go the distance. The highly acclaimed, quick fitting, simple to adjust clamp design ensures the perfect saddle position.

[Aug 20, 2012]
Dennis Hicking

Strength:

Saddle clamp greatly improved over earlier versions

Manufacturing defect made this seatpost useless.
U.S.E customer failed to respond.

This is my third U.S.E. suspension seatpost. The first (1998) worked well enough, but needed service at least once a week - real pain. After a few years I bought a second (a much improved model) and that worked much better - needing service only a few times per season. It was always smooth, and lasted seven years of riding 4-6 times a week.
With such good luck I then bought the XCR Sumo Aluminum expecting it to be as good.
First, I found the promised travel fell short due to the protective vinyl accordion gaitor reaching stack height before full compression and so limiting the travel of the seatpost. Second, after one month stiction became an increasing problem. Inspecting the inside of the outer tube I found a burr at the bottom end of both keyway slots had destroyed the lower bushing on the sliding post. Too late to return the item I emailed U.S.E. and a month later have not heard from them. Here in the U.S. it seems there is no phone number to call as they have in the U.K.
I replaced the lower bushing after removing the burrs and still have problems with stiction. At this point the seatpost is unusable. Too bad - for one month this was great. A lot of $$ for a short product life. Apparently there is no QC at U.S.E.

[Aug 31, 2011]
SVO

Strength:

Takes the edge off rocky trails. No fuss. Not bouncy. Not obvious it even has suspension at a glance. Nice clamp.

Saddle fore-aft position important- if your bike does not fit well with zero setback post your center of gravity will not be in-line with post action and likely will reduce performance & durability.

Turn any hardtail into a softail- a TUNABLE one at that. Mix & match spring kits to get it in the Goldilocks zone. Note that if you ride hilly, rocky terrain like I do, and downhills are off the saddle and little is flat, you may want it somewhat softer than recommended for your weight. USE recs assume most of your weight on your ass, as opposed to your feet while climbing, and climbing is 80% of my in-saddle time. FYI.

thudbuster

[Aug 27, 2011]
Mojo Man

Strength:

Bling, carbon, does what it's supposed to do, dosen't look like a suspenion post

none yet

After riding a full cush 5 ½ inch travel DW link carbon bike for 3 years, I built up a Ti 29 SS to see what the hype was about. Having a sensitive back at times and feeling the pain while spinning, I was a little worried about going HT and SS. I felt I would welcome something that would take the bite out of the hard tail ride.

I ordered the Thudbuster but just couldn’t get over the looks, then did many moons of research on posts. I almost bought the gas nitrogen unit but I couldn’t get over the weight. Then I came across this trick looking carbon wrapped elastomer unit, hey why not, anything is better than a solid post.

After riding with it, racing with it and training with it, I would have to say, I’d buy one again in a heartbeat and if I ever get into road bikes, I’d put one on that too.

Seems to be well made, doesn’t rotate, quiet, smooth and takes a beating and I wash my bike every time I ride it.

Not that I’m in the saddle 80 % of the time, but when I’m in, it works great, and I ride over some nasty roots at racing speeds. If you are looking to replace the cush of a rear suspension rig than I don’t think you will be pleased. It you like the efficiency and snappiness of a HT than you will love this thing. Some of the reviews about a pogo ride are bogus, if so, get off your ass and hammer, you’re riding a mtn bike not spinning on a road bike.

Oh, one more thing, all I want to do is ride is my SS, the hell with the rear suspension and gears.

Mojo

Thudbuster

[Apr 06, 2011]
Muddy Mudskipper

Strength:

Solid, lightweight, subtle suspension for hardtails

seat mount prone to losening

I have two bikes outfitted with these and I'm working on my 3rd. For my money, this is the best suspension seat post currently on the market. It works dependably well and made a difference in my endurance as soon as I installed it. Later, when my wife got her bike, we added one to hers and she also felt like it made a difference. It's no springy or bouncy and you won't scream, "hey, it's like riding on a cloud!" but it is effective at dampening impact without sapping power or control. I do notice that my seat comes lose occasionally but that's why you carry an allen wrench, right? Both of these are Carbon Sumo XCR models. I really notice the difference on my back-up bike even on short rides and I'll be ordering my 3rd when budget allows. By the way, don't forget your seat post shim!

Cannondale,

[Nov 06, 2010]
blitzrider

Strength:

Light for a susp. seatpost. Appearance doesn't get attn. like Thudbuster. Guts are interchangeable.

Seat mounting system is somewhat difficult to adjust.
Cost is a little high, but it's worth it for the quality.

I wanted a seatpost to smooth out the trail a bit, mostly to save my bike from 210 lbs bouncing on the rear wheel with no give. I was breaking spokes before I put this seatpost on, but none after. U.S.E. makes a great product with different stiffnesses. Still works perfectly after 2 yrs. and about 1500 miles.

[Jan 02, 2010]
sbmac

Strength:

Solid, well made, adjustable pre-load that really works. Lighter than others

This is so well engineered...absorbs the small med bangs without the bounce or backward motion of the Thudbuster. You don't even know it's working it's so smooth and subtle. My hardtail still rides the way it should, I just don't feel banged up after a long ride. I can stay in the saddle over small roots and rocks.

Well engineered, good customer support.

Both thudbuster models

[Oct 19, 2009]
sbmac

Strength:

Light for a suspension post, silent, no lateral movement, smooth subtle suspension

None that I can see

This is a great seatpost. It doesn't bounce up and down in a bad way, but moves just enough to soften the small bumps in the trail. Smooth and appropriate. I don't feel any loss in pedal power or efficiency. The thudbuster moved much more, and I wasn't pleased with the back and forth rotation of the unit. It also "bounced more on the aftershock".
The U.S.E Sumo XCR has a really nice elegant mounting system as well. No troubles. A sublte, well designed suspension post that takes out the "hard" in hardtail without taking away the hardtail handling.

Thudbuster SL and LT

[Sep 02, 2009]
Pedela

Strength:

Lightish for a suspension post, surprisingly plush when dialled, strong clamp, well built, rebuildable

Heavyish for a seatpost, limited travel, bronze colour

This review really compares the USE Sumo with the Cane Creek Thudbuster, which I reviewed separately a couple years back.

Weight - lighter than CC

Looks - almost normal; the CC has no cred & other riders laugh. Wish I'd got the black bcoz the silver is actually a weird bronze colour (black wasn't on discount)

Performance - would initially have said it's much less plush than the Thudbuster. I'm 80kg and got the firm set-up. Then I purchased a softer spring/bumper set and tuned with a mix of firmer and softer to get a softer initial response and a firmer end to avoid bottoming - now it feels almost as good as the Cane Creek despite less travel. I feel USE's recommendations are a little on the firm side. One other thing - I was getting some chafing on longer rides (over 2-3 hrs) with the Cane Creek that I'm not getting with the USE & I believe that's because the Cane Creeks fore/aft action rubs the sit bone area a little more than the up/down of the USE (maybe!) Finally, the Cane Creek occasionally has an Ejector Seat moment with certain sized/shaped bumps (no damping on either, see) whereas the USE seems less prone to bottom rocketing.

Engineering & Build - Both are quality components. The USE is rebuildable with a kit but when the CC pivots slog out thats it. However, after abt 5 years of use the Thudbuster has only got a tiny amount of play. The post shaft on the Thudbuster is glossy and has slipped down in some frames, needing a supertorque on the post clamp - the USE is like a Thomson, it never shifts.

Both of these posts allow me to sit and spin more comfortably through small bumps on a hardtail. The Cane Creek is slightly heavier & plusher while the USE is slightly lighter and racier. I prefer the USE Sumo just a little.

Cane Creek Thudbuster LT

[Apr 19, 2009]
bikefx

Strength:

***Carbon model reviewed***
* Excellent suspension action. Super smooth, reliable, very durable from warm 30C to -35C stormy Canadian weather. No joke, it still worked equally good in cold as in warm.
*Very light. Probably the lightest suspension seatpost for its travel (2ish inches).
*Very clever and cool head/clamp.
*Adjustable
*Negligible service: tighten ring seldomly and maybe lube it.
*Fact that it's carbon! Very few carbon suspension seatposts.

Head isn't easiest to re-assemble after disassembling for re-installing a new seat or if u accidentally let it fall off while adjusting it.

Excellent and rare product. Excellent quality in all respects. Clever and elegant design. Proven and well-reviewed, reputable brand and product. Worth well over $100US. The best of its kind.

Other inexpensive ones.

[Dec 03, 2008]
Marcus E Spector

Strength:

It works well

Saddle clamp fixing setup cumbersome, must use loctite and really tighten bolt.

This is a far superior seatpost to the others I've used, it dampens bumps like it should and operates quietly. You can stay seated on many parts of the trail like a full suspension bike. However in root infested sections you gonna have to stand more than with a full suspension setup.

Cane Creek, White Bros., Nashbar