Titec AL 7075 T6 Seatpost

Titec AL 7075 T6

Chris   [Sep 17, 2007]
Strength:

Good clamp design allows for a lot of seat positions that don't slip. Made in a lot of obscure sizes. And the price.

WEAK! The aluminum post cracked at the top where the clamp inserts.

This post cracked at the top where the clamp inserts into the aluminum post. About a 1 inch vertical crack straight down from the top. The clamp assembly hasn't started to loosen from the post yet, but I'm not waiting for this to happen. Straight to the trash.

The best part is that it did this under my wife's 120lb butt. Granted, her bike is a hardtail, but it hasn't seen a drop bigger than riding over the curb, and she only spends about a quarter of the time off road. For this thing to fail under these conditions is ridiculous. The $10 Tahoma post she originally had held up just fine for 2 years, too bad it was just too short. 120 lbs!!

I wouldn't put this post on a child's bike. Next time I'm just sacking up and buying a Thomson.

Similar Products Used: Thomson, Syncros, Tahoma.
Bob   Weekend Warrior [Feb 27, 2002]
Strength:

Does what it's supposed to do: hold the seat.

I little hard to adjust, but not a big deal.

This post has worked fine for me. I weigh 195 lbs and I have never had a problem with this post. No bending, no squeeking, nothing.

shaun   [Feb 12, 2002]
Strength:

they has a 26.6 for my old bonty frame. looks the part. light

the thumbscrew thing is not a good design, as it is hard to reach. i have the thumscrew down all the way and the nose of the saddle is still up a couple of degrees. that is bad for my nuts. the bolt in the back was only engaging a few threads so i changed that before something bad happend.

even at 10 bucks, a very marginal product. if it bends like everyone else's seems to i'll drop this to one turd.

Similar Products Used: all sorts of posts.
John O'Neill   [Feb 01, 2002]
Strength:

Are you kidding me?

Questional durability

I wouldn't reccomend this product to anyone, unless they weighed about 80 pounds. I'm about 180 pounds and I broke mine in three yes 3 days or around three and a half hours riding. First it bent then the bolt bent and then during my only race the whole thing fell apart. The front bolt snapped the rear one bent and the post itself bent about 30 degrees. Not good.

Rob   Cross Country Rider [Nov 06, 2001]
Strength:

None at all.

Really dumb bolt design. Flexy. Bends.

I somehow managed to get a little farther than other reviewers before the post bent, but once it went, it really went. After this thing ruined what had been a good day of riding, I went straight out and got a Thomson. I never realized just how much flex I was experiencing until I got a real post. I actually have a hardtail now. I am no longer wasting my energy on my rides. I swear, a good quarter of my power must have gone straight into lower back pain. Much happier now.

Similar Products Used: I now ride a Thomson
Zachary   Cross Country Rider [Oct 20, 2006]
Strength:

seat doesn't slip even a little and the one I have has held up well on my Single Speed. They make them in hard to find sizes.

Apparently the narrower versions have strength issues.

I would like to clarify that I am writing a review for two of them used on two different bikes. The one on the Single Speed Fisher is bomber! I have been happy with it in every way. I used to have a Thomson on that bike and have not noted the difference. This one was a silver shot peened 31.6 x 350mm

The second failed miserably. It was on my father's Caldera and was a 26.8 x 300mm. This one was not shot peened and had a black finish. The shaft snapped right below the clamp junction.

Judge for yourself on this one. I ride mine hard on a fully rigid SS. My father rides less intense stuff but weighs in at 200 and takes most of his bumps seated. Old roadie habit I guess.

Similar Products Used: Thomson, Easton, Bontrager
P   [Mar 17, 2001]

Bends extremely easy

Installed one, and it could not take cruising along pavement to visit a friend. I had 6 inches of post visible, saddle was centrally located and did not receive any impacts.

Can't still believe how weak these Titec posts are. No words can describe how much these suck. I would not install one into my bike even if I got a truckload of Titec posts for free.

Similar Products Used: Many, this is the ultimate bottom of them all
Clayton Covemaker   Racer [Apr 11, 1999]
Strength:

Look Nice

Weak
Bends Easy
Creaks Badly

Here's the story this post sucks it came on my new homegrown. On my first ride it loosened up and started creaking so it stopped and tightened it. Then it went from bad it worse it bent badly with in the first 5 miles I rode. A seatpost is suppose to hold up the seat up, plan and simple nothing less nothing more, this doesn't do that. I did jump off of anything or do anything reckless it just bent while riding you can see the stress risers near the seatpost clamp. This product lasted less than five miles don't buy it period.

Matt LOBO   Cross Country Rider [Jan 17, 2001]
Strength:

Cheap

cheap

HOLY POS BATMAN!!! wow, nothing but problems from all these people, maybe titec will get the idea to drop this thing. I mean this was stock on teh frame when i bought ti and i know now that we are dealing with a 2500$ bike i should go up in quality, i am just holding out. After the first bolt bent at the head and they replaced it, it was all down hill. since then in the last 3 months i have managed to take it from true, to 15 degrees off. HOW THE HECK DOES THAT HAPPEN. i mean all of a sudden the damn thing just turned on me, i know i have been riding harder in the last 3 months, btu this is excessive. the most i have done is some dirt jumping and DH stuff, but it should hold up to that. Oh well time to buy something new. DO NOT BUY THIS UNLESS YOU ARE A WEEKEND WARRIOR LOOKING FOR A NICE, NAME BRAND POST. IT IS NOT A GOOD ABUSABLE POST.