Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost

Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost

The serious cyclist will want to own the Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost.

[Oct 12, 2012]
minh

Strength:

light, strong, thomson quality.

price.

I've used thomson elite posts on all of my bikes since 1998. I picked up a masterpiece because it was a good deal (picked one up for the price of an elite).

aesthetics: from a few feet away it is hard to tell any difference between the two. upon closer inspection one can appreciate the extra machining on the masterpiece. it really makes the elite look unfinished.

for the weight weenies: total weight actually came in a few grams less than claimed. the weight difference between the clamp assemblies is only 3 grams. the difference between the actual posts is 38g. complete masterpiece 41g less than complete elite (27.2 x 330mm).

geek out: one of the best things about thomson is they are very specific in their instructions regarding installation. i.e., grease only the threads, not the bolt or washer. torque requirements in BOLD, etc. I do wish they would have torque information printed on the clamps like they do on their stems and seat collars.

riding: can't "feel" a difference between masterpiece and elite. and if I did I would be skeptical of data like that subjective and unfree from bias.

conclusion: elite slightly better value but masterpiece if you can get a good deal on one. at this level diminishing returns.

[Jul 22, 2011]
jadis3

Strength:

Does't slip into seattube.
Accepts carbon saddle rails.

Such a high level post should carry insert lenght scale.
Saddle angle adjusting bolts are not convenient to reach.
Uncomfortable in HT due to the its main strength - stiffnes.

Due to weakness of this American legend I switched for seatposts with simple adjusting fastens like ti Kent Ericksen, Carbon Use Sumo and now Hope Eternity for FS bikes.

Several carbon, titanium and alu.

[Jun 20, 2011]
dlongto

Strength:

Bomber, lite

$$

Tompson is all i will use for MTB. Other crap is OK for the road.

Tompson Elite, various Campy, Various

[May 16, 2011]
jellytronics

Strength:

Lightweight, durable, large contact surface area between saddle rails and rail clamp, solid 2-bolt adjustment/grip.

This may be less a weakness and more user error. But I believe that the area which sits at the seatpost clamp within the seat tube has actually been slightly deformed frmo over tightening the seatpost clamp (also thomson). Perhaps it is only the Thomson seatpost clamp which can damage the Masterpiece? Otherwise indestructible.

Last seatpost you will ever buy. The Porsche of seatposts.

Thomson Elite

[Apr 11, 2011]
Helmetless

Strength:

Nice, great details, light, durable so far

expensive if you're buying it new

The best i have on my bike. At 190grs is not the lightest post I have had, but the more durable. And pretty. This is the Louis Vuitton of Mountain Bike

elite and a lot of race face posts

[Mar 07, 2010]
Tzvia

Strength:

Strong. I don't want to worry about it and this fits the bill.
Light. Not silly light, mind you. Again, no worries.
Well made. Bike came with a single bolt Race-Face that I yanked real quick and replaced with this. Did I say that I did not want to worry about the seatpost?
It's icing that it is so easy to adjust, with the proven two bolt design, and beautiful machining.

I won't rag on the price. You get what you pay for with this post. Sorry, can't find a weakness.

Buy it, sit down and don't worry 'bout it. Let the weight weenies deal with the lighter posts and their issues. This is light enough, comes in many sizes and lengths, is beautiful in its simple functional design and will keep the seat where it needs to be. If price is an issue, get the Elite; it weighs a little more but has the same build design and quality.

Syncros TI, Campy, Race-Face, Control-Tec, Thomson Elite, Specialized, Easton.

[Mar 05, 2010]
hardmtnbiker

Strength:

light,pretty and strong

I bought the straight post and after using it I realized I needed a setback One call to Thompson and they replaced it with the setback. This is a stand up company that makes a great product. I wanna buy more bikes just to buy more of their stems and post. They never look old or used and stay in place.

OE on my first Trek

[Dec 10, 2009]
vodkalime79

Strength:

Strong and stiff!

Abit expensive..

Incredibly light and strong seatpost....Might still be heavier than carbon but definitely can take more abuse than carbon ones.....Get one!

Thomson Elite, Easton EC90

[Sep 15, 2009]
Spokaned

Strength:

Great looking, lightweight, slip resistant, micro adjustable, and very well made.

None so far.

I had a straight Masterpiece on my '07 Blur XC and loved it. My recently purchased Enduro SL PRO CARBON came stock with a Thomson Elite setback post. It was very good, but I opted for the Masterpiece. I'm not overly tough on seatposts, especially with 6" travel. No regrets.

Thomson Elite

[Aug 23, 2009]
Vegard

Strength:

~Lightweight
~Great Quality
~Easy to adjust
~Lots of different size options to suit any need.

~There's only room for one on my bike..

The bottom line is that I love this product, it feels sturdy yet lightweight and it has never made me feel unsafe while riding like other posts have. (CF posts cracking)

Thomson has a customer for life with me, I will have one of their masterpieces on every bike I get.

~Cdale C3, "the baton".