Sette APX Alloy Seatpost Seatpost

APX Alloy Seatpost

The APX alloy post offers a high performance lightweight and durable package made from straight gauge 2014 T-6 aluminum tubing. The CNC machined dual rocker bolt clamp is extremely strong and provides a wide range of micro adjustability. 400mm long, 255g.

buddhak   Weekend Warrior [May 14, 2011]
Strength:

Dirt cheap, lightweight, does the job.

Not as bling as a Thomson. Adjustment isn't as slick as, say, a Salsa post.

If you need a lightweight, zero setback Thomson knock-off at a 1/3 the price of Thomson, look no further. Honestly, it is a simple bike part and $30 buys a lot of function here.

Similar Products Used: Many laprade set-ups, American classic
Bajamike   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2010]
Strength:

Lite weight 254g for 27.2 and 266 for 30.9, durable(if you are not overweight), inexpensive, and nicely made.

The only weakness I found on my older one was the front adjuster bolt was too long. My seat would actually bottom out on the bolt. I simply cut it shorter and haven't had any other issues.

I bought my first seat post about 5 years ago under the Pazzaz name. I believe Pazzaz now makes them for Sette and other companies. I have been using this post on two bikes for a while and it hasn't skipped a beat. I just purchased a new Sette Apx for another bike I own. It definitely seems to be just as good as my old Pazzaz. For the money you can't beat it.

Similar Products Used: Kore, Ritchey, Thompson, etc
kurtisk   Weekend Warrior [Jan 15, 2010]

Larger Riders beware! I weigh in at about 250#s. Mine bent at the collar within a month on a full suspension Racer X. The Max'm that came with the Titus had no problems with the same load for over 6 mo. I cannot recommend.

danielnc06   Weekend Warrior [Nov 15, 2009]
Strength:

fairly light, nice rail clamp, alloy

none so far, rail clamp could be black too

a decent well built post. lightweight when compared to others of the same price. the clamp is nice and works well. seems strong so far!

calebs_tenspeed   Cross Country Rider [May 13, 2009]
Strength:

Very light, cheap, and good looking.

It takes a little patience to get your seat adjusted just right, but when you get it set it clamps on real tight!

I needed a light cheap seatpost so I thought I'd take a chance on this. I bought the white alloy and man it looks nice! I was actually surprised at the quality. I ride mostly cross country and singletrack and I only weigh 143 so I'm not really testing this to the extreme but for what I do I really like it. Also the measurement numbers really help with the set up!

Similar Products Used: Alpha Q carbon, Ritchey Comp
Tim Blabbing   Weekend Warrior [Nov 04, 2008]
Strength:

Light (264 grams for 30.9 size), long, inexpensive, very trick looking, height markings are ingenious

Head design can make it very hard to install saddles where the rails are very close to the saddle shell, e.g., Sette's own Nyx saddle. Height markings are the reverse of what they should be, i.e., the lower number should be higher up on the post, so as you drop the post the number also drops, instead of the way it is, where the more dropped the post is the higher number you have.

Don't know about the overall durability/longevity of this post, but I'm very happy with it. The price/weight factor is impressive. Figure in that it's a full 400 mm length (you could probably drop about 10-15 grams if it were a 350mm length) and it's hard to find anything in the ballpark, pricewise. This is because the head system is pretty darn ingenious. This post would be perfect for me if the height markings were reversed, but considering the price, weight, looks I'll rate it as a great product. I will definitely post when this thing breaks.

Concerning breaking posts, if someone can bend a Thompson then NO post is sacrosanct.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Sport (heavy and bland), Kalloys (heavy and bland), Odyssey Intac (total trash head design), Control Tech II (stupidly bulky and overbuilt), Supergo house-brand post (they totally lied about the weight)
Zach Liscio   [Aug 21, 2006]
Strength:

Inexpensive, great for easy riding

weak

this seatpost is great for easy riding. it broke second day using it when i went off a 4 foot drop.

Brian   Cross Country Rider [Jun 17, 2006]
Strength:

Inexpensive, extremely well made, light. Two bolt clamping system. This is the old Synchros seatpost that once costed $80.

Be careful when torquing down the bolts because the washers will snap if you over-tighten.

Had to replace a Thompson Elite that I somehow managed to bend, and wasn't really in the mood to drop $80 on a post so went with the Sette. It was about 5 years old, though. Anyhow, I'd actually give the edge to the Sette for the clamping system. It's nicer IMO than the Thompson. But, the Thompson probably has the edge on sheer strength with its oval shaped tube. We'll see how the Sette holds up. I will report back if any negatives arise.

Similar Products Used: Thompson Elite.
Rich   Cross Country Rider [Aug 10, 2005]
Strength:

Strong, quality product at a very reasonable price.

I'm a budget rider and have to spend my bike dollars carefully. I have not been disappointed with any product from Sette so far. The prices just blows me away. For the price / quality you can do no better than this seatpost.