Salsa Cycles Flip-Offs Seat Collar Q/R Seatpost

Flip-Offs Seat Collar Q/R

sumquo   Cross Country Rider [Jun 25, 2010]

Very poor quaility control. The collar that I purchased was 3mm smaller than it should have been .. 35mm collar was just 32mm. Salsa support was not much help.

Absolute garbage.

Similar Products Used: $3 Nashbar Q/R seat collar which, unlike the Salsa, was properly sized.
slalomnorth   Racer [Jan 04, 2009]
Strength:

Strong, looks awesome, sleek, light, It's salsa!

A little pricy

It does what is supposed to, which is clamping, being lightweight, being strong, and looking awesome. Salsa makes the best seat clamps on the market so go get yours.

Similar Products Used: Regular generic clamps
Ben   Cross Country Rider [Jun 17, 2003]
Strength:

This collar works well in most conditions. It is stylish, and firmly clamps the seatpost.

In muddy/wet conditions it does not work. It is expensive.

If its Salsa its worthless. I spend good money on my bike, and I expect dependable, high quality performance. This collar works really well until you get into any kind of mud. This collar nearly ruined one muddy ride, because I could not adjust my seat height without using an allan wrench. (The QR would not work.) The QR collar that came stock on my old GT Aggressor was better than this Salsa QR.

Similar Products Used: Stock QR collar.
bumps27   Weekend Warrior [Jan 05, 2004]
Strength:

Easy to use, just looks right

Not the cheapest bauble, heavier then allen bolt clamp

What can you say? It works. I use it on a U.S.E. Alien carbon seatpost that uses a shim and the seatpost never slips and the carbon hasn't cracked. It works in rain, mud and sun. I'm buying another one now for my wife's new bike.

Steve Edwards   Weekend Warrior [Feb 19, 2007]
Strength:

Looks great. I can't think of a better looking seat clamp. It also matches the Salsa skewers i run on all my wheels.

Performance in wet, muddy conditions is a let down. Any grime near the mechanism and it galls and binds something terrible. Why doesn't it come with a nylon running surface just like the wheel skewers?

I keep buying them and I keep using them because they're so pretty! I've developed the habit of staking a swig from my camelbak and spitting/spraying at the clamp before I undo it. If someone made something this nice with a nylon bush, I'd try it, failing that, why not an internal cam action? I'll keep using them as I'm a self-confessed bike tart but I can't recommend them to other people. If you buy one, regular cleaning and a little light lube is in order. Not expensive so good value but the function lets them down.

Similar Products Used: OEM and HOPE
John   Weekend Warrior [Apr 26, 2004]
Strength:

Grips, easy to adjust

This is a review of the Flip Lock Seatpost Clamp (the one that includes the clamp and Q.R.) This one really holds. I'm a big guy and nothing else I've tried holds this well. It's easy to loosen and doesn't catch on clothing.

Similar Products Used: Stock Specialized, Salsa lip lock (the one without the Q.R.)
Slow Ed   Cross Country Rider [Aug 09, 2005]
Strength:

Super smooth cam action, clamps evenly.

This might not be a weakness but actually just a sizing issue. The clamp would not hold my post tight, upon inspection I noticed the clamp was bottoming out before it could get tight enough to bind the post fully. I sanded between where the where the clamp is split, to allow it to come to a tighter diameter. Once that was done, it performed flawlessly.

The clamp is even clinching, the cam action of the lever is very smooth and feels like a quality engineered product made from quality materials. The machining and surface finish is top notch. Obviously a disco seat clamp is not going to win you the tour de france, but, any part that is not grossly overpriced and works, looks and feels of the quality this one does, is worth a look.

Similar Products Used: All manner of allen bolt type, and cheezy oem stuff that came on different frames.
Weasel   Racer [Apr 19, 2005]
Strength:

Salsa machinery. Cool looks, especially the silver one.

Does not work very well.

I like Salsa parts normally - I have the skewers on my wheels, but this QR really sucks. I only weigh 71kgs and my Thompson seatpost kept slipping further into my frame. I REALLY tightened the QR so much so that the thing started creaking when I closed it. That is definately not good for my frame and seat post. It looks very nice though - that's one of the reasons why I bought it, and because it matches my skewers, but I have replaced it with my cheapo clamp that came with the frame and it holds brilliantly.

2 chili's for the value (because of it's looks)
1 chili overall for poor function.

Sorry Salsa!

Similar Products Used: A cheapo QR that came with my frame.
Obi-John   Downhiller [Sep 16, 2002]
Strength:

Works as advertised, very good ergonomics, hex bolt setting for clamping strength resists tampering

None so far

Get this quick release seatpost! It is very well made, and works like a charm. I look at this purchase as an investment in safety - since it is so quick and easy to adjust, I am more likely to lower my seat for gnarly downhills, and therefore less likely to endo. The curved lever hugs the seat tube, so I don't get my clothes tangled up in it, but it is long enough to _not_ dig into my fingers when I operate it. It has plenty of holding power; I weigh 200 lbs and haven't seen any slippage. Make sure you get the correct clamp size for your seat tube outer diameter. Proper fit is key for good clamping power.