Race Face XY Seatpost

XY

RaceFace XY

smilinsteve   Weekend Warrior [Jul 21, 2009]

Too bad Race face stopped making this one, because it is the coolest looking, most easily adjustable post ever. I've had mine for probably 10 years and it is still going strong. Bought it from the one of a kind coolest bike shop owner dude Todd at ABE in Tucson AZ (Rest in Peace).

AK47   Cross Country Rider [Aug 06, 2008]
Strength:

Good looks, adjustability

Clicking, clicking, and more clicking sounds when riding over terrain with bumps. Oh yeah, mountain biking.

This review is for the RaceFace Deus seatpost. I am putting the review here since MTBR doesn't friggen have one for it specifically. What's up with that MTBR?!?! Anyway... Nice looking and adjustable post, but I'm throwing it in the junk pile because it will not stop making a clicking/popping noise after multiple attempts to grease the bolts, threads, basically anything that moves on this post. I'm going back to a Thompson Elite setback post and getting rid of the RaceFace POS. Wish I could keep it as it looks nice paired with the RaceFace Deus stem. Go back and do your damn homework RaceFace you
$@$&**&$%^$^$#$#!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: Thompson Elite
Zell   Downhiller [Jul 27, 2008]
Strength:

Hey, I mean it works. It's a seatpost :p I haven't had any slippage problems or my seat flipping up on me or anything.

It bent. I don't know how, but it is slightly bent. I don't think this happens often, though. I must have taken a nasty spill to do that. I noticed that it was like almost impossible to get the post in and out of my bike; finally realized it was ever-so-slightly bent. I ordered another one to prevent ovalization of my frame.

It was cheap and it works. If my new one bends on me again then I won't buy another.

Andy   Cross Country Rider [Aug 20, 2003]
Strength:

The easiest seat clamp made, nice layback.

Weak tubes, creaks and slips

I originally liked this post until it started to slide...and then it started to creak... and then it bent. Considering that it's the same price as a Thomson, I don't think this post is a good value. I contacted pricepoint and they followed up quick and let me know that the post was out of warranty - bummer. In all fairness though - the AC frame has a pretty slack seat angle, the post has a lot of layback and I was running WTB's new Power V saddle (it's kind of like a diving board for a bike) when it bent. So, I think it may have been getting used a little bit outside of it's intended purpose but, it's a Race Face. Aren't they supposed to make strong stuff that stands up to abuse? I see they have a new Diabolus post... supposed to be the shiznit... tempting, but I'm going back to Thomson.

Similar Products Used: Lots of 'em - I'm going back to Thomson and I'm never leaving again.
Fritzman   Cross Country Rider [Jul 04, 2002]
Strength:

Weight/strength ratio, tonnes of adjustment.

Adjustment mechanism is a weak in design, one good landing and the seat will tilt. No greasing = LOTS of creaking.

As you can see from the bike setup, I wanted to remain loyal to the RF brand by purchasing the post. To date, all my RF purchases have been awesome in durability and performance. I first tried the XY post, but the damn round-pivot-in-housing adjustment design is basically incapable of keeping the saddle at the right tilt after a moderate hit (I'm 170 lbs, XC/enduro rider). Think about it, it's a smooth round pivot in a smooth round housing. Friction will only get you so far with that setup. Unfortunately, after several rides of involutary saddle angle adjustment the tightening bolt snapped...

I decided to try the XY0 as there may be less strain due to the smaller offset hence more centered saddle placement (actually I'm ideally in between both offsets). Well, last night in a sunset race the XY0's tilt adjustment started to fail and showed it couldn't handle the pressure as well.

Despite the design, the saddle can be salvaged by drilling a hole through the housing and the pivot (obviously, you first determine the ideal tilt). Then, put a self-tapping screw in there to act as a jam, and she won't move again ;-).

Overall, this is the most disappointing product from RF, and most disappointing post that I've tried.

Similar Products Used: XY, XYO, USE, other generic models
gary pogalies   Cross Country Rider [Mar 05, 2002]
Strength:

Easy setup, easy adjustment. Can adjust tilt and seat fore- aft position separately.

none so far

What a great product. Set it up and forget it. Easier to get seat on and off bike than Thomson. I was a little worried about "creaking" that was reported in other reviews. I just greased what was recommended and used my torque wrench. No noises. Traded Thomson for it because Thomson was wrong color. Both excellent products, neither cheap though. I have Thomson stem and Raceface bottom bracket all great worry free products.

Similar Products Used: Thomson, Titec
geert sonck   Racer [Feb 24, 2002]
Strength:

Strong. Extremely easy to adjust. Doesn't slip. Saddle angle doesn't change. No scratches. Lightweight for its length. The perfect product. I'm going to buy one for my roadbike and shorten it by 150 mm. Moreover, I like the big offset (you can always by the XY0 if you don't.)

Absolutely none.

The only seatpost worth existing.

Similar Products Used: 2 Dura-ace. 2 Record. And lots of other junk. Had to throw it out eventually.
Paul Yamakawa (Wrench at Sagebrush Cycles)   Cross Country Rider [Feb 16, 2002]
Strength:

Everything. 4years of abuse Flawlessly weathered. Still as gorgeous as it ever was. It also whispers sweet nothings in my ear.

sometimes it tells me to do bad things.

Hamfisted doofuses who shouldn't be allowed wrenches will whine about them.

okay, let us all take a moment to bask in the beauty of these posts, Let's face it, they just plain look cool------- Okay, that said. The only reason I'm writing a review is in defence from the harsh words spoken by some other reviewers. FOUR years on this baby, and any squeak or whatever I may have initially had is beyond me since I've prettymuch just not touched it. And really isn't that what a good seatpost is all about?

YES the tilt adjustment has slipped onme a couple times during the right kind of crashes. It should, however, be noted that the amount of force that this takes is just about what it would take to bend the rails on any saddle. I for one was glad a time or two to get up from a nasty spill and be able to grab my trusty allentool and make it better again right then and there. (ohyea, saving the cost of a new ti wtb saddle was nice too) I run my saddle as far back as it will go in the rails and it has never slipped without a healthy spill.

Products like these are why I'll be an indentured servant to bikeshops solong as I live. (or at least until I win the lotto) I Ride alot, and do not baby my equiptment. I've learned working on bikes, that lightweight chi chi stuff doesn't help you when you're 10miles into a ride and your seatpost breaks. MY bike's nearly a rolling testament to Raceface. Every raceface bit on my bike has earned it's spot there. I give this every chili they'll letme. Solid product. set and forget.

Similar Products Used: Salsa shaft, control tech (the old style that REALLY did slip) Thompson, Kalloy, and countless others I've played with in the shop.
Terry Williams   Cross Country Rider [Feb 07, 2002]
Strength:

Light weight & strength, ease of adjustment, warranty

mine slipped, cost

I got this post after bending my stock Kona post in about a month (as predicted by salesmen), and bought a 27.0 model for my steel hardtail. I am 185-190 lbs and the post never bent after 2 seasons of sport class racing, which is pretty remarkable. I bent several of the heavier control techs. It was nice to adjust and the bit of setback in the regular model was something i wanted for that bike.

Unfortunately, a bit into year 2, the clamp that holds the seat started to budge over hard terrain so that the nose would point up and i'd have to stop, loosen, adjust, tighten. Race Face warrantied it with no problem and in very timely fashion.

I'm a little leary of this happening again, but I believe the warranty on this product is 5 years and as I see a lot of old scratched up XYs on freeride bikes I would bet it probably wouldn't. And I feel pretty good about taking a chance on a company that backs up their goods

Really liked the post, but lose 1 chili for the incident, and lose an additional chili on value because the post is something like $170 canadian. I'll post again if i put another year on the new one. And I would try a Race Face again if i needed a post with setback.