Niner Bikes RDO Carbon Seatpost

Niner Bikes RDO Carbon Seatpost

It will only take one ride on a Niner RDO Carbon Seatpost for you to feel the difference. Whether your ride a hardtail or a full-suspension bike, you'll notice less fatigue at the end of that ride thanks to what Niner calls the 'unstiff' carbon layup. Niner states that its monocoque design deflects up to twice as much as other leading carbon posts; in fact, it'll deflect 8.2mm under a 50kg load. For comparison's sake, Niner's standard-issue carbon posts deflects 6.3mm under the same load.Unlike other posts that use bonding to join disparate materials, the RDO (Race Day Optimized) post is molded into a single, structurally superior shaft. Niner varies wall thickness and the carbon weave to offer the strength needed, but tunes it to flex so as to allow the post to dampen fatiguing buzz. A simple-to-adjust, two-bolt clamp ensures you'll quickly dial in the perfect saddle position, and it features an alloy head for durability.The Niner RDO Carbon Seatpost is a zero-offset post and comes in 27.2, 30.9, and 31.6mm diameters. The 30.9 post is 370mm long, while the 27.2 and 31.6 posts are 400mm. The post comes with graphics that complement Niner's frames; Green, Moondust, Tangerine, and Red.

[Jul 30, 2014]
shiftless89

Strength:

strong, light color options sturdy clamp

little high on costs

My current ride is an A9C in large, 6'2" and 220lb rider. I was running a Layback Control tech carbon Mpost and for safety's sake decided to retire it after 3+ years. I ponied up the cash for a Straight RDO post. I was very pleasantly surprised at the difference a seat post could make. The more upright posture VS the layback had me climbing hills without the front wheel coming up and by the end of a 32km rough off road ride I was far less fatigued than normal. I am no stranger to buying high end components. At $200 its on the high side of non dropper posts, but to be honest I have already ordered another for my other bike, I was that impressed.

Control Tech Mpost, Thompson elite, Easton ECA90

[Apr 13, 2014]
trevrev97

Strength:

Good looking, just the right amount of compliance, holds saddle well without creaks and squeeks.

Price is just a bit high to me, but still worth it

I have this post on my 2013 SIR9 SS, I rode the Pisgah Stage race on it and is was almost like having a SUPER small travel suspension seat post. Great post

[Jan 01, 2013]
TiGeo

Strength:

Definitely soaks up trail chatter on my hardtail 29er. Lightweight. Looks great.

Ain't cheap.

I bought this to help my back/body so that I can continue to enjoy my aluminum HT..it worked. You can see/feel the flex fore/aft, but its not un-nerving. Just seems to deaden the vibrations/hits so that I can stay in the saddle a bit more over roots etc.

Stocker.

[Jun 29, 2012]
JC

Strength:

Really soaks up trail chatter... Makes a significant difference on my hard tail 29er; my back thanks it for it on every ride. Also aesthetically, this post is a 10. One of the nicest unidirectional carbon layups I've seen. No slippage.

Expensive. But for hard tails, worth it.

Niner advertises this post as having an 'unstiff' layup with a much greater deflection than most post, and it is absolutely noticeable. You can see the flex when you install it. It really transformed by Niner Air 9 Carbon's ride... I had previously a Thomson Masterpiece post in the frame, and the difference ride-feel between the two is night and day.

It isn't the bad kind of 'flexy' either -- no impact on the power transfer, as the lateral stiffness of the frame is not impacted at all.

That said, you would not need this post UNLESS you were riding hard tail. And if your frame is already compliant on the trails, it might be overkill. That said, if you are riding a stiff XC race oriented carbon or aluminum frame, this post could totally be the back-saver that revives your joy of your bike.

Thomson elite, masterpiece. Loaded. 3T stuff.

[May 25, 2012]
GP Niner

Strength:

weight, strength, flex

price

This is really one of the best carbon seat post expecially for a rigid bike. I ride a rigid ss and the RDO carbon gives you a flex that gives you the extra cushion you need on a rigid bike. A+ in my book