Moots straight-lace seatpost Seatpost

straight-lace seatpost

straight-lace seatpost

Talabardio   [May 26, 2013]
Strength:

Works well, lasts forever.

Changing saddles is an incredible pain in the ass. this is a really really bad design.

It is cleanly made and works well, but the design is horribly flawed when it comes time to change saddles - difficult to put it mildly. Moots selling a special tool for $15 to try and make up for this flaw does not ameliorate the situation.

Andreas   Cross Country Rider [Nov 10, 2008]
Strength:

A follow up. defined flex, durability (in use for 10 years now with 220 to 260 lbs to keep up with moderate XC riding, many times changes of saddle), looks, titanium

price

No complaints here. Does proud an reliable service under a heavy rider. Changing the saddle seems a bit adventurous at first, but the clamp mechs hold out. The defined flex you get is very wellcome. Noi sliding. Was expensive, but is a part I would buy ANY time again.

Similar Products Used: Thompson (very good also), NC17, ROOX
Anthony   Cross Country Rider [Jan 27, 2007]
Strength:

Beautiful welds, very strong, looks nice, feels like it absorbs bumps.

The seat will not stay at the correct angle for the duration of a ride. No matter what I try or how tight I get the bolts, the seat angle always adjusts so the tip of the seat angles up, not comfortable. Plus theres always the jokes on the trail from people who see it. Maybe there is a function to the seat clamp, but I find it to be a pain. Its a lot of effort to switch out sadles or clean the insides. A 15$ tool in addition to a 120$ post? No thanks.

You would think that for 120$ you would get a perfect stem, but thats not the case. Its obnoxious to have to readjust the seat angle in the middle of rides and after rides simply because it wont stay put. I'm 6'4 and 175 pounds, so not like Im pushing the stem to its support limits. After spending this money, I wish Id gone with dean or a thompson. If your going to pay a premium price why should you have to deal with design flaws? Sure it looks beautiful and the welds are great, but in the end I wouldnt recomend this post to anyone.

Similar Products Used: Thompson
Mike   Racer [Mar 12, 2007]
Strength:

nice ti...and made a surprising difference in ride smoothness....had a cheapo $10 stem before in a 4k+ plus bike. Always thought how much of a difference could it make?

The aluminum seat clamps that slide in the post fracture.....I called Moots and they said this is normal, sometimes they only last a season...$12 please. I was shocked, pay this price for a ti stem and have a flimsy part the fails routinely...and from Moots, my expectation being I buy Moots it will last a lifetime

I really like the post, but the seat clamps make this a no go for me next time around.

Rain Man   Cross Country Rider [Jul 27, 2006]
Strength:

Ti. Smooth clean and bright. Fantastic welds. Innovative clamping system. Very light and strong. Has some flex which soaks up the trail vibes.

None that I can find...maybe price.

This Ti post is a lovely looking creation from the masters of Ti, Moots. The welds are incredibly good, smooth and uniform.
I like the innovative clamping system, it is simple and strong, and never moves once tightened down.

Once you change your saddle a couple of times, the clamping system is very easy to use.

Like all Moots products, it is expensive, but well worth the $$$'s in my opinion. The post gives a nice soft ride on a hard tailed SS bike with the natural flex of good titanium.

Coupled with a good Ti-railed saddle, the ride is very smooth indeed.

I have no complaints at all, I love the look and feel of Ti, and the Moots seatpost is a very fine example of what a seatpost should be.

This very good seatpost is one of the best you can buy.

I give it 5/5.

R.

Similar Products Used: Thomson, Easton, Bontrager, etc..etc..
yuri   Cross Country Rider [Jul 26, 2001]
Strength:

Very light, very simple design, flawless manufacturing

Cost?

An excellent design that, if you have the cash, is well worth the cost. After bending seatposts for a couple of seasons I spent the money to upgrade to the Moots and have never looked back. This seatpost is one of the lightest designs out there and is so well made it will likely survive WWIII with Keith Richards and the roaches...

I had some slippage with the seat rails after a season and a half but after running a file across the two Aluminum "clamps" I have had no more problems. The clamping mechanism is dead simple and, after the first time you put a seat into it, you won't have any problems installing or removing saddles.

The seatpost does absorb some trail shock and vibration compared to something like a Thomson but don't expect to get the equivalent of a soft-tail or suspension seatpost!

Similar Products Used: Dean, Thomson
Pascal NEPPER   Weekend Warrior [Aug 21, 2000]
Strength:

Very light
380 mm long !
Strong enough
Vibration dampening

Price, but you get what you pay for

This one is one of the lightest AND strongest, + it dampens small shocks ! Forget the price and go for it.
It's a better choice than buying seatposts that are uncomfortable, heavy, and bend.

Similar Products Used: Al seatposts from several brands
hugh   Weekend Warrior [Jul 31, 2000]
Strength:

light
excellent craftmanship
dampens
precision work, fits moots frames perfectly.

light, vibration damping, functional post, holds seat well.
beautiful. best seatpost ever used in 35 years pscyling.

Similar Products Used: lots
Shirtless Idiot   cross-country rider [Sep 28, 1998]

It appears to be a nice and light design, but it was a bit awkward having to pry apart the head to slide clamps over the rails of the saddle. How does this post perform? probably about the same as anything else out there of comparable weight. The problem is that I could never get one that was the right size. My bike takes a 27.0 seatpost, but the 27.0 Moots post that I got initially did not fit and felt a little too big. I decided on a whim to try it on my Breezer which takes a 27.2 post, and it fit perfectly. I contacted them about it and they told me to try some other posts in my frame and to get the seatpost measured by a pair of accurate calipers. Well, other posts fit perferctly and the guy at the bike store told me it was closer to a 27.2 than a 27.0, so I sent it in and got a brand new 27.0 with no further questions asked. New post, same problem. I had a pair of calipers, and though it didn't have a metric scale, it seemed to measure to be 27.0 mm, but it failed the real test. I got sick of it and just bought a Thomson that fit as I thought seatposts should fit. Customer service was good, but ultimately the product they sent me was something that I couldn't use.

Dave   Racer [Feb 06, 2001]
Strength:

This is a great seatpost! I raced a full year on it over a variety of trails. It did a great job dampening vibrations and is very strong. (I weigh 186). If you are going to buy a post, don't waist your money on a carbon, this post out performs them in every aspect.

Buy it!