Moots laidback ti Seatpost

laidback ti

laidback ti

Sam   [Apr 18, 2012]
Strength:

Excellent material.
Look nice.

Engineer fail in the angle adjustment department.
Expensive at $300us

Be warn "DO NOT BUY IT FOR MTB USE". It doesn't matter how tight the screw is my seat will always end up folding.
When I go down hill I'd shift my bum to the back and the seat would fold back. When I go up hill I'd shift my bum to the front and the seat would fold forward. When this happen in the middle of the hill, you'd feel like jack hammering the stupid thing.
Anyway I've solved the problem by bonding the material - permanently. Industrial Bonding Adhesive.

mootster   Cross Country Rider [Nov 14, 2008]
Strength:

Layback is nice for fitting, has the nice Moots quality of craftmanship

It slips at the seat clamp, especially after you switch seats.

I have two of these posts, both on Moots YBB bikes. One of them I ended up switching seats a couple of times and it really started to slip, even after cranking the two bolts down big time, to the point of almost stripping them. Moots no longer sells this design, I believe this is why. Installation of a new seat is a bit of a pain, however, if you have snap ring pliers they help a lot for spreading open the Ti seat clamp. For the price, I would expect a better clamping mechanism -- it looks like now they have that

Similar Products Used: carbon fiber posts.
Johno   Cross Country Rider [Nov 05, 2008]
Strength:

Titanium compliance and that cool MOOTS sticker :)

Micro adjust is too sensitive, goes from immovable to floppy. So you end up guessing where you want to reposition your desired seat angle. I use a spirit level to see existing seat angle and go from there.

When i first built up the bike, I purchased an in-line Easton EC90 Carbon post. However I desperately needed a laidback post to fine-tune the riding position. Also, in this original setup I could not believe how harsh the ride was. Changing to the MOOTS laidback, highlighted how much 'give' this post allows even with as little as <200mm of post exposed.

Similar Products Used: First Ti seat post. Easton Carbon, Thomson...
James Hemphill   Cross Country Rider [Apr 06, 2006]
Strength:

Looks cool!

It folded after tw0 months!

So I had some extra cash and threw some bling down for this post. It looked real COOL on my bike but it wasnt very cool. After a little less than two months of riding the post failed. I was sitting down peddaling over some rough and I thought 'DAMN' The bike sure soaked that up well, this seat post and bike are amazing!!! But somthing felt weird, my seating position felt strange. Stopped to look at the bike and saw that the seat post was bent. There was a nice crease in the post right above the seat coller. Bummer! So instead of dealing with moots warrenty(And NO!! I did not have the post raised too high, it was well above the burnish line on the post by about a 2 inches.) I cut the post and put it on my road bike. I had ne problems mounting my seat on this post, you just need to be calm and cool headed.

Similar Products Used: Ringle moby post(Had for 3 years) And a Syncros that I', still on after 4 years
Brad Kriley   Racer [Jul 05, 2002]
Strength:

light weight, reliability, performance

hard to install seat rails - but once there on there is no loosening

Combine the Moots post with a tubeless set-up on any hard-tail and you''ll be lookin at the same feel of a short travel FS or ST bike without the the power robbing inefficiencies of rear travel. The post definately smooths the ride. This is life-time part spend the extra $$ now and never again providing you seat-tube size stays consistant.

Similar Products Used: dean ti, synchros HC, many others
Bill L   Cross Country Rider [Dec 04, 2003]
Strength:

Sweet ride characteristics, It is beautiful just to look at, very nice welds, with this post...who needs a suspension seatpost?

Installation of the saddle may be tricky...got it within a few minutes using the "penny" method.
Some may say price, but compared to a quirky unreliable suspended seatpost cost is similar...you get what you pay for

Moots knows about Ti...I stared at the sexy welds for at least 15 minutes prior to instalation. This Seatpost is not only aesthetically pleasing, but also does what it is suposed to do...hold the saddle in place and create some very nice shock absorption that is characteristic of Ti. (Choose your saddle wisely...once it is in place you may not want to wrangle another in its place. Although, it took only 5-10 minutes to install my saddle, I am not sure how long it would take to un-install one)
I know longer feel the need for dual suspension.
This seatpost along with tubeless tires...you will be golden.

Similar Products Used: Cane creek, raceface xo, thompson.
jh   [Mar 27, 2006]
Strength:

it's great

cost

I just wanted to post my tips on the onerous task of installing a saddle on this post. Remove the clamp bolts all the way. Install them on the top of the clamp. Insert 2 stacked nickels in the slot so when you screw in the bolts, the clamp opens. I used both bolts so i would not deform the clamp. I really needed the second nickel. Put in one half of the clamp circle things. rest the saddle rails on it, then slide in the other half. if you cannot get it to fit, you have to open the ti clamp more, so more nickels.
once you have it all in there, turn the seat pointing straight down so you can remove the bolts. before you have removed them all the way, put the seat back level, then remove the bolts the rest of the way.
took me a freakin half hour to figure that out. hope to save you some time.

Similar Products Used: thomson
Sam Samaha   [Mar 22, 2006]
Strength:

It's a Moots for Gods sake! Built as good as it can get, 3/2,5 Ti, and has a great sweep back that gives the taller guy a bit more room between the saddle and the handle bar.

none at all

This is the finest seat post available for a mtb sold today.. I looked for the best and I got it.

The small additional flex of the Ti also adds to the comfort of the ride.

Similar Products Used: Thomson, and Bontrager Carbon
vince   Cross Country Rider [Feb 01, 2006]
Strength:

Beautiful & elegant piece of Ti. Really does soak up higher frequency bumps. Overall smoother ride that you WILL notice.

Cost.

Just wanted to deck out my workhorse with a great seatpost. And was suprised on my first ride out the difference in smoothness between my old Thomson Elite and the Laidback. Makes my already smooth riding Colonel smoother. Worth the price. Tricky rail clamp not at all difficult. Doubt I'll need another post.