LP Composites Seatpost Seatpost

Among the stiffest in the world, LP seatposts are made of Carbon and Kevlar composite materials. Light, strong and cool looking.

Rich   [Aug 25, 2003]
Strength:

carbon fiber, very lightweight, warranty

Very lightweight. Carbon fiber is a great material. 1 year unconditional warranty, and 5 years warranty. My Lp bars and ends have worked great for years. Does not slip, or anything like that.

Similar Products Used: stock post
Chris   Weekend Warrior [Dec 24, 2001]
Strength:

Very stiff, light

rotated the head 15 degrees on a previous LP seatpost

I've been using these posts for years and currently have them on two bikes. I built a Titus Quasi last spring and used an LP seatpost and riser bars. Then I spent the summer riding the crap out of it.

I can tell you that if you ride from Cooney Lake down Foggey Dew Creek, you loose 5000 feet elevation in 13 miles. This is over open granite and rock sections of all varieties. If its possible to break something, this is the place to do it. I've survived twice now using LP products. Oh, by the way, light does have a place because you have to ride UP, no shuttle, no chairlift.

As I said in my prior post, I once rotated the head slightly. It still required a sledge hammer to get the seatpost head out of the tube. LP has since changed the bonding method to prevent this and my recent experience bares this out.

If you want to blend in with all the other boys and girls buy a Thomson (great product) or a Raceface. If you want to be different there's LP. Carbon fiber must work otherwise Shimano and Campy wouldn't be using it in there top of the line groups.

Similar Products Used: Raceface,Titec,Vitus
Steve Kennedy   Cross Country Rider [Sep 30, 2005]
Strength:

Strong, some flex... nice saddle clamp. good post, great customer support. don't really have anything bad to say. so far...

saddle clamp can be confusing to get right.

I'm kindof quirky... I like non-main stream components ie magura hs33 hydro rim brakes and well... klein. I've heard about issues with the clamps, but haven't had them. good customer support. hell, I've email'd back and forth with the CEO. The post seems bombproof. Plus they look great... not that that matters...

Similar Products Used: boonty, thomson
Aaron   Cross Country Rider [Oct 17, 2007]
Strength:

Relatively light (236 grams cut to 350mm)
2-bolt desogn makes set-up easier
Quiet, never developed creaks
Tastes like chicken

You can spend less for lighter posts
Rail-clamp design is pathetic, embarrassingly so
Mine cracked... eventually

I had one of these posts (size 31.6) for 7 1/2 years on a cross country bike. I'm 150lbs, but I didn't ride it lightly. I was very happy with it overall just because it lasted so long while still taking a lot of abuse.

Mine recently developed a crack up the back side of the post, about 4" long, so I replaced with a lighter, cheaper Thomson Elite.

The biggest drawback I saw with this post was that the seat rails were only supported by less than 1" of clamp area. Thankfully, I never bent a seat rail--considering all my saddles have had hollow Ti rails--but I can see how heavier riders certainly could.

I'd like to give it a lousy rating because of the obvious flaws in the overall design, but mine faithfully held my butt up for three-quarters of a decade, even for the 3 weeks I spent waiting for a new post... and continued to ride a cracked carbon one!! I'll pass it down to my grandkids one day, but never dare mount it on another bike.

Similar Products Used: Thomson Elite
BurkeTravelinman   Cross Country Rider [Jun 29, 2001]
Strength:

The carbon fiber seatpost is real EASY to spot in my "HUFFY bin"...

It does the "swivel seat" boogie where seat-holder metal connects with the carbon fiber seat tube....

This LP seatpost has gotten some pretty decent reviews on this website.. Based on those reviews and the fact that it was carbon fiber i decided to try it...
Yep,after 5 rides, it has "play' at the metal/carbon fiber junction.. I wish i could say that doing 5 foot drop-off's was the reason for it BUT such is NOT the case.. This dang seatpost wasn't even put to the test on a ride with technical sections... $80 down the "crapper".. Into the HUFFY bin with the rest of my "lessons' learned"..
I just got a Thomson Elite seatpost in the snail mail and have installed it onto my Raven... I also own the aforementioned seatposts...
I have to admit that the RaceFace seatposts are my favorites.. They are SO EASY to setup and adjust..Plus they just plain look cool.. I rotate the abovementioned seatposts ("Similar Products Used") amongst my 5 single-rider bikes (they ALL take 27.2 seatposts)and RACEFACE is my hands-down favorite.. Lets face it, the Thomson seatpost looks like a $20 seatpost with "THOMSON" etched on the sides..I'm not knocking it because it has fabulous reviews..it just doesn't "grab me" like my other seatposts.. As for wieght, give me a break.. they are all so close (except for the Titec) that it is not even a factor when deciding which to buy ....

But LP should not be in your shopping cart unless you do ONLY ROADIE TOADIE riding....

Similar Products Used: Grafton Moby Post,, RaceFace XY,, RaceFace XYO,, Titec Hellbent Offset,, Thomson Elite..
Chris   Weekend Warrior [May 03, 2001]
Strength:

That cool carbon/kevlar weave. Seems to work pretty good too. Fairly light.

With the original post, the bond between the carbon fiber shaft and the aluminum clamp came loose over time (about two years)

The LP seatpost is a better product than 90% of the seatposts out there. I've let it go months at a time without ever checking the clamp bolts and never experienecd any of the loosening described below. This post is stronger the the seat tube. I've seen aluminum seatposts bend, and have had the clamps come off. Even when the clamp on my original LP began to loosen it would not come out of the shaft except with a drift and sledge hammer. I replaced it and have now installed another on my new Titus Quasi Moto. These things are bomb proof.

Similar Products Used: a variety
mandingo whatever   Cross Country Rider [Dec 06, 2000]
Strength:

nice looks, haven't had any real problems with it, softer than my last post

price,

This reviews a follow up:

I've been riding this post now for over a year and I've
noticed that the metal part of the post where it meets with the carbon is getting loose. (I'm not talking about the clamp or the screws.) I would imagine that it's only going to get looser. I haven't called Lp yet. Once I do i will follow up with what they did about it.

Similar Products Used: ritchey
Dan Shaw   Cross Country Rider [Dec 02, 2000]
Strength:

seat attachment is rock solid,stays fixed to frame.I do not no that post is there also it's carbon, extreamly weightless

Not cheap

I fell that if you are in the market for a carbon seat post. This is a far better and proven product than it's Easton counter part

Similar Products Used: Thompson elite
adam Johnson   Cross Country Rider [May 03, 2000]
Strength:

Cool looks, ingenious seat clamp shed's mud nice, gives small amount of flex(my intentions when purchasing).

none yet

i bought this post with the pure intention of softening up the rear of my ride. The lp post did exactly that!! i noticed the "give" immediately. With no other company's producing a featherweight post in 30.9 i really cannot compare it with any other post (of this size, material). With the added small flex of the LP post i am now able to ride all day on my Sele' italia Ti seat, for those of you who own one you know they are damn stiff. Excellent product so far
Price: i didnt give a rat's ass...