KCNC Scandium Ti Pro Lite 8000 Seatpost

• Material: 7075 Pin with 7075 seatholder
  • Screws: M6x37mm and M6x47mm/ 64Ti

[Nov 14, 2013]
Lumberjake

Strength:

Price, weight, design, build and looks.

I'm a bit worried about the rather deep machined ribbing on the exterior because I saw a photo of a failure that seemed to break perfectly round. A possible stress riser.

Been on a bit of a light seatpost odyssey lately. Made the huge mistake of going carbon which failed because it slid and is soft so it shaved material as it slid leading to a cracking. Carbon is just too fragile for anything that it wasn't specifically designed to take which can be allot off road. Then bought an Easton EA70 which was great but too heavy at about 250grams so I got this and I'm impressed. Looking at the detail in machining leaves me impressed as all the parts are carefully shaved of excess yet have material where it's required. Like the bottom rail support, it has slight raises in the center between the rails to counter the bending forces, smart. Some folks criticise the yoke design but if you want weight saving this is going to be a casualty, accept it. You can't have both.
Everyone told me to get a Thompson but frankly my Easton
would have done the same job at the same weight for less money , so would an Fsa but I wanted to save weight have decent strength without paying over a hundred and I got it done. Think about it, a hundred grams weight loss for that price is pretty good.

[Jul 16, 2012]
Boulder Rider

Strength:

Light as all hell, looks good in red, nice machine marks, pretty stiff

price, clamp design is kinda shintzy.

sexy seatpost, super light, kinda expensive

[Sep 09, 2010]
Ecogeek

Strength:

Black version available! Lol. Light. Infinitely adjustable seat angle. Solid finish.
Not carbon.
Zero offset can be good - depending on your top-tube, your torso/arms and what you want to do with the bike.
Almost zero packaging. Good! Too much of that in the world.

Some nasty colours available that will make you look like a poser child and you will regret buying when everyone laughs at your NASTY post that doesn't really go w your bike anyway. Zero offset can be bad - depending on your top-tube, your torso/arms and what you want to do with the bike. Not cheap. Not for heavy riders. May or may not be a scandium alloy. Substandard service from eBay vendor. Seat clamp is easy to use but I can see that it is not idiot proof.
Minor nitpick - graphics go far down side so when you drop the post they will get worn. I don't like the graphics anyway. Would rather they were not there. Whole KCNC logo stinks IMO - whilst I'm nitpicking! ;)

Make sure you read on, cos whilst I raise some points...no probs w my seatposts.
Liked the idea of these posts for weight/price and not being carbon (hopefully more safety/longevity).
Got one, then got some more.
I have two KCNC pro lite 8000s (1x 31.9, 1x 27.2) and two 30.9 KCNC Pro Lite 9000 (different head and clamp design w 15mm offset).
I cut two down (one of each design). They cut and then file like BUTTER. Which made me wonder if they are scandium at all. I don't know enough about the physical properties of scandium, but this softness surprised me greatly. Softest alu I ever cut. Perhaps the low thickness..?..cos my saw blade wasn't even sharp and my files are cheap. They made much harder work of cutting down 2014 bars for instance. Or alloy fork steerers. Even carbon (Easton monkeylite)is harder to cut. Someone should check the chemistry of these posts for all our benefit.

As a result of spending too much time w my post in my fist shoving my fingers in and out of the hole, I noticed that the shaft is relatively rough - on the inside. To clarify, it is smoothly machined, but a little uneven over the length of the *interior* - like the lathe or post was vibrating as the work was turned.
Exterior finish is v good. But the interior uneveness makes me wonder if one could get unlucky and find one with a weak-spot. I expect you could.

However, the posts I own have held up with no problems at all so far. When you set up the seat-clamp correctly (remembering that you want the shortest distance possible between each bolt anchor and the hooked clamping surfaces) then it holds the seat fine on many long rides on rough Rocky Mtn trails. No creaking or squeaking. No coming loose. I use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts as per instruction sheet specs mind. If you don't then who knows what you will experience.
The exterior machining of the post means it clamps solid and does not move - with relatively little force.
This model is recommended for riders under 85kg (my unloaded weight) riding up to aggressive XC.
FYI I have run the other (8000 series) in an AM bike with no probs either. Even taking the odd drop w the seat up a pretty long way. No bad crashes like that though.
Expensive, but not for a post this light that isn't carbon.
4 overall as I am not sure it's scandium and it could be stronger, better finished and better looking. I would say that at this weight it's decent value too if you're not a fatty - er sorry 'clyde'. (Why is the term Clydesdale abused 99% of the time by in the closet fatties?! Look at a Clydesdale horse. Notoriously TALL, wide and ALL MUSCLE. No FAT.) Aaah.
As a final note - I would not attempt to use any saddle w carbon rails in this sort of clamp. 7mm NiCro works fine.
If I were sure it were scandium and wasn't worried about weak-spots or less than delighted w the graphics (plain stealth black w small improved logo will do), this would be a 5* post.
I am willing to bet that if more of these were available in black, they would sell more posts! Cos if I look for a black one, I can only find stinking pink or blue, gold or some other abomination that shouldn't exist other than on little kid's toys.
NB. These work great with a Token Ti QR seat clamp - which is better than the KCNC one, but weighs 3g more. RUN TO THE HIIIIILLS UBER-WEENIES (pussies)!

KCNC 9000 (15mm offset and dif clamp) and lots of other posts inc carbon.

[Nov 25, 2009]
Spongebob

Strength:

Strong, light, good graphics, doesn't slide down. Connecting rod shorter therefor stronger than similar, scandium post and ti bolts, comes in 350 and 400mm length. This is for the 400mm. 170grams.

Not a weakness, but seat rail fastening system takes a little longer than most.

Has been great. Doesn't flex like a light carbon seatpost under my 215lbs, but as light. Hasn't moved, nor has the seat rail system moved or come loose. The only thing on this post that is Ti are 2 bolts, but I knew that when I bought it. The post is Scandium and has concentric rings which are very nicely machined and stops it from moving (ala Thomson). The inside is thicker in the front and rear ala Thomson, but thinner. I don't think about it, and that is what makes it great. Price is a little less to high end carbon seatposts.

Thomson, Bontrager, and OEM no names.