Dean USA Titanium Ultra Lite Seatpost

Titanium Ultra Lite

• Cold Worked U.S. 3/2.5 seamless radial titanium.
  • CNC Machined 6061-T6 Aluminum head with single pinch bolts for infinate adjustability
  • 6/4 titaium bolts
  • Sizes 27.2 x 330mm, 350mm, 400mm
  • Colors Silver, Black, Red, Blue, Gold

Kyle Johnson   Cross Country Rider [May 27, 2003]
Strength:

-Ti dampens high frequency low amplitude bumps
-Never once did it slip down the seattube
-good adjustability at the seatclamp

-Clamp never really held seat rails very tight
-Barrel (swivel) nuts on clamp needed replacement
-Ti tubing Doesn't hold up well to aggressive Clydesdale riders

After 4.5 years of abuse on my hardtail, this seatpost finally gave up the ghost. I'm suprised that it lasted this long since it developed a noticeable bend within the first month of use. Fully dressed, I weigh in at approx. 220 lbs and clearly from day one this seatpost was not designed for my weight or power. The Ti tubing (27.2 mm OD) is rather thin and flexy and it developed a fatique fracture at the seattube/seatpost interface. I don't know how long this went unnoticed, but I replaced it right away. Dean's Ti seatpost did in fact absorbed small bumps and improved overall feel and comfort, but I had more problems than I would have liked. Other problems included: 1) broken barrel nuts on the clamp (which was a direct result of the next problem) and 2) I could never get the clamp tight enough as my seat would slide back on the seat rails after punishing seated climbs. I have no doubt that this is a good (if not a great) seatpost for MOST MTBikers, but if you're a powerful clydesdale rider like me may the buyer beware. Withstanding the problems I had, this seatpost never stranded me in the woods in 4.5 years of service -- so I will give it an average grade. Ride-On ;)

Similar Products Used: IRD AL (still my favorite)
Control Tech AL (should be outlawed)
Thompson Elite AL (the jury is still out)
Jay Ho   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 2005]
Strength:

All the benefits of Ti. Weight, strength, liveliness, bling...

Decals are just cheap stickers which are now scraped off. They looked terrible after a few wet rides. Same thing with their handlebars.,

I had this on my DEAN and it was great. Recently moved it onto my carbon roadie to give some life to a very stiff frame. It's a nice seat post. I weigh approx. 200lbs which makes a stiff road frame unbearable after a long period, especially coming of FS mountain bikes. It's a little heavy b/c I have the long MTB version and never cut it down even though I do not need all that post, but that's my bad choice. Anything Ti is pricey but this post is a value compared ti other reputable Ti manufacturer.

Similar Products Used: Easton, Thompson
Wade   Racer [Feb 14, 2003]
Strength:

Ti, works great, lasts long.

logo, weight--but ya'll knew that already.

This is an update. I reviewed this post on 6/9/99 not long after I got it. It really took the edge of the Ti HT. Sold that bike. Popped it into the Turner (in 99) and haven't touched it since. Seat is still right where I put it. No noise--no problems.

Mine is the old D-E-A-N down the post logo and when the "a" and the "n" got to looking crappy, I just rubbed the "EAN" off. The "D" still looks jest fine.

Don't suppose I'm really benefitting from the flexibility with the 4-bar doing all the work. Maybe I should try an Al post just to see--but then why bother?

The Ti post and Ti saddle rails do help the ride on HT's.

Similar Products Used: OEM al. My first aftermarket Ti. I do have a Thomson in the Roadie.
jas   [Oct 01, 2001]
Strength:

easy two bolt adjustment, like the syncros

ya gotta love the flex. I wanted a little softer hardtail so I got this post. I've had it for over a year with no problems. I think I paid about 66.00 for it. It may be a little heavier than my syncros, but its worth it to me to have the extra flex. I weigh 185

Similar Products Used: syncros, the good one
DCW   [Oct 07, 2005]
Strength:

titanium, made in US, Light

The sticker came off

This is for the ULTRA-LITE Seatpost.

DEAN threw it in for free when I ordered my frame. Fits perfect and has great shock absorbing properties and at 210g for a 27.2 its really light. I really cant complain, it was a freebie. Probably wont ever have to buy another frame or post again.

Similar Products Used: Syncros carbon, Kore, Bontrager
Mark   Weekend Warrior [Jul 23, 2001]
Strength:

Seems like the only answer for a strong/long MTB post. Nice ride.

a 400mm post should be 400mm not 370mm. If the frame never cracks then never mind.

Good seatpost, fair price, easy company to deal with (despite cumbersome web site), should measure 400mm.

Similar Products Used: Logic, Kalloy, Campy, whatever came stock on numerous bikes.
Brad   [Sep 26, 1998]

I got the post just to match my frame. By the way when I got my Dean frame and seatpost I didn't like the blasted look so I shaved off all the decals and polished both of em' out. Believe me it was not fun, and it took forever. Still it look sooooooo much classier and I just called Dean and ordered new Decals. What else is there to say? Its the bomb. simple as that, light, adjustable, comfortable, and will make you the envy of all your friends.

JazzyJeff   racer [Mar 26, 1998]

Excellent seatpost! I used mine for a few years before my recent change to the Moxey. Took some serious hits during some serious rides all over the country. Super easy to adjust, compared to some lame seatposts I've had before like the Ringle. If your stickers get messed up (like mine did), the company will send out some new ones at no cost.

Marshall   racer [Mar 19, 1998]

Okay...a Ti post to go with the Ti frame. Like mentioned before, the Ti post really does take the sting off big hits, and generally smooths stuff out. Not a bad deal. I had an Answer post in there before (a sweet post -too short though) and notice the Dean gives a softer ride, so the whole Ti post thing really isn't a conspiracy to keep Ti manufacturers in business. Anyway, easy to adjust, looks cool, and no problem with the stickers yet.

Steve Cassaday   Cross Country Rider [May 22, 2001]
Strength:

Ti quality. Very nice quality seat clamp

Claimed weight 195 grams. actual weight is 255 g.If your a weight freak,get the Easton Carbon and deal with the clamp !

Nice piece of equipment but not claimed weight. You make the call.