Crank Brothers Joplin Seatpost

Crank Brothers Joplin Seatpost

Crank Brothers Joplin Adjustable Seatpost with Remote provides 75mm range. Lever mounts under the saddle. With this seatpost you are able to change seat height without having to get off the bike.

[Jun 17, 2015]
Railin
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Slip it n Rip it!
Good Price
Decent Weight

Not easily serviced at home / LBS
Really finicky seat-clamp

I actually got 4 good years out of mine! Yeah its got a little wobble and you cant lift up the bike with it, but this never bothered me. And I did have to service/repair at the end of the 1st season, but the guys at CB were great with a super-fast turnaround on the warrantied service. Ultimately it was the poor seat clamp that was its demise, but not before an untold number of fantastic rides that really were better, thanks to the easily lowered seat. RIP Joplin!

[Jan 11, 2013]
Jason

Strength:

My first ever adjustable seat post and when it works its bloody great. It's so nice to be able to drop the seat even a little way when tackling some of the larger and wilder sections of track which gets it out of the way.

Unfortunately as others have indicated it is not robust or durable. For a weekend warrior it does not get a massive workout however I am about to send it back for its 3rd warranty claim. Post leaks oil and once this starts it will no longer hold rider weight and gradually compresses right to the bottom limit. The seat post is not even serviceable by rider or local bike store which sucks. Even under warranty Jetblack Products ( Australian service agents) want me to pay for postage there and back when their product is not doing what it claims to do! Cost to fix is $30 with about the same postage-they recommend 2 times per year....blah!

Overall I would not rate this particular model. You buy a product to do a job and this post lets you down. Unfortunately I am hooked on an adjustable seat so will have to lash out and buy another - possibly specialised or Rock Shox model.

[Jan 08, 2013]
the-one1

Strength:

Up and down action is smooth and did what it was advertised to do. It was great....when it worked

If it's not leaking air, its sloppy side to side.
Expect it to leak.

I got one season out of this (Joplin 4R). The seal in the air chamber up by the actuator started leaking air. You can hear it when the post is moved up and down. CB wants $50 to fix it. Screw that. The hydraulic locking still works, so instead of automatically going up at the push of the remote, I have to use my other hand or my thighs to lift it. I can't sell it as it's broken, I can't bin it because I paid too much for a seat post. I'll learn to live with it.
I think it would have been a better post if they used a metal spring instead of air. And it would be even better if CB sells the tools to take apart the air/oil valve inside.

[May 03, 2012]
Mike
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

It's a drop post.

Zero durability. Only Crank Brothers can perform maintenance on it (for a fee, plus shipping and handling).

I bought the post based on CrankBro's reputation and my enjoyment of their pedals. It was my first drop post and therefore I loved it to death. 3 months and 3 weeks after purchase, it started leaking oil and began compressing/sagging. That's right - it worked properly for LESS THAN 4 MONTHS.

It sags up to two inches in hotter weather which is an issue since I live outside of Moab. Shipped it to CB and they told me it would cost $50 to service *unless it was less than a year old and I still had the receipt. Fortunately my bike shop reprinted the receipt so all I paid was shipping plus many days without a seat post. They also made sure to generously include an offer to upgrade to their newest and most expensive model for a price... it felt like they want you to buy a new post from them on an annual basis and therefore have major built-in obsolescence.

Also interesting is that CB "suggests" annual maintenance be performed on it when - conveniently - THEY are the only people authorized/able to do it. So the bottom line is that I "suggest" you NOT buy this product and make sure nobody you know does either. CB makes some good stuff, but the Joplin4 is not included in that grouping.

[Mar 20, 2012]
BigHeirtz
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Fun for a minute

jeez...where to start.

I have had two of these now. One on a kind of aggressive hard tail 29er from the Canfield Brothers (Yelli Screamy - love the bike) and one on my Orbea Rallon (also love the bike). On the plus side they are great for All mountain riding where frequent transitions are required between going up and down hill.

The seatpost on the Canfield broke a seal and dropped all of the oil inside of my frame the second time I took it out. That's right, two times. While customer service at Crank Bros was pretty good and they returned the warranty repaired seatpost pretty quickly, I sold it the minute it came back.

The second one on my Orbea actually gave me a solid year - a joke for sure, right - before doing the exact same thing. These things are crap. They have no durability and you can't service them yourself - you have to ship them to Crank Brothers for a $30 service. Weak.

While they do offer a trade in program for the newest version of a dropper seatpost they have available...is it really worth it? I say, spend the money and get a better seatpost up front. Crank Brothers should just stick to pedals.

N/A

[Mar 07, 2012]
gilmo1917

Strength:

Easy to fit, easy to use, superb confidence boost on technical downhill. This relates to the Joplin 4 seat post, I never tried the earlier models. I didn't get the remote as the lever suits me better, that's just a personal choice though.

If this can be described as a weakness, lack of a cover for the slide, after over 147 miles in the mucky muddy Scottish forest. Before riding with the Joplin, I fitted a) a crud catcher rear mudguard (essential) and b) A Lizard Skins Suspension sleeve. I've had no problems but believe prevention is better than cure. Would also have liked some info on re-pressurising as there doesn't seem to be any, and nothing is that airtight. But consider this to be minor as I'm sure Crank Bros will advise online.

The best piece of kit I've ever fitted, and I have wasted a lot of cash over the years buying "trick" bits that were supposed to revolutionise my riding. This along with lock on grips (though they came as standard on my EX8) is a sure fire working improvment. Also read the small print. Crank Brothers will even consider a warranty claim caused by misuse if they reckon the circumstances allow for some leeway! Now that's support.

N/A

[Feb 27, 2012]
mtnmark
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

It's a dropper seatpost, it changes the way you ride, you need one. Just don't buy a Joplin.

Where to begin, the thing is a piece of crap. They break, get screwy, spongy etc. Lots of side to side play, seat clamp sucks. I know how to work on them and they would still break down even with regular maintenance. I think CB warrantied mine once or twice and serviced it another time or two when I couldn't get it working. I upgraded my sh*tty Joplin 3 to a new 4 and sold it to buy a Gravity Dropper. I still have one I keep as a spare, but just used it the other day and the side to side is terrible coming from my Gravity Dropper.

Get a dropper post, just don't buy a Joplin. I don't think I would buy any crank brothers product after my experience with a Joplin. They are all looks and no function.

Gravity Dropper Turbo, I've tried a reverb, but only for a couple short rides.

[Feb 22, 2012]
winsail

Strength:

It works. Goes up and down without a hitch. Would not ride without one

If you call periodic maintenance a weakness I guess that's it

I have used the Maverick Speedball Remote for over 3 years which was the design Crankbrothers bought from Maverick and re-branded it. I had no problems with that post. My new Crankbrothers Joplin Remote has 2 guideblocks instead of 1 but is virtually the same. The 3 inches of travel is plenty for the x-country riding I do. More would be wasted for me. There is periodic maintenance required with all dropper posts and this one is no exception. You have to open it up re-grease it and pump it up to 70psi once a year. It's pretty simple and really no different than rear shock or fork maintenance. It takes about 15 minutes, probably 30 minutes your first time. A fixed post obviously requires none of this and as a result cannot be compared. Once you ride a dropper post you will never go back unless of course weight is something that is a greater concern than ride ability. I have had no slop problems and I ride often usually 4 days or more a week. This is a great product!

Maverick Speedball Dropper Post

[Dec 29, 2011]
dinobino22

Strength:

NONE! I'd rather spend extra $ on other brand of seat post. Bad business practice!

Leaks and does not lock in place. Not reliable. 2 year warranty is a hoax (false advertising).

This seat post leaked after a year of occasional use. I returned it to Crank Brothers for repair since its has 2 year warranty only to find out that they want to charge me $30 for an improved seal plus shipping and handling ($9). They said if it's less than a year they would repair it for free. Better spend my money who stand behind their products. WILL NEVER BUY THEIR PRODUCTS!!!

[Dec 15, 2011]
epic510

Strength:

Makes you 100% more confident on down hills. Drop the post and bombs away! No more worries about going over the bars because of not being able to get behind the seat.

Seat will not stay in position! Any time I hit a bump while seated the seat ratchets upwards and I have to knock it down with my fist.

I don't think I could ever go back to a non-adjustable post. Awesome upgrade. I just wish it would hold the seat in place. I still use it and it's a lot better than a standard post. The drop function with the remote works flawlessly. Just wish it would hold the seat in place... I did buy an older model and have heard the newer ones have addressed the seat issue.

standard posts