Crank Brothers Joplin 4R Seatpost

Joplin 4R

Crank Brothers Joplin-4 Adjustable Seatpost w/Remote: 100mm travel version of the 7000-series aluminum height-adjustable seatpost. Updated hydraulic seals and bushings for added durability. 4 inch range of height lock. 20mm setback...

Kenny B   All Mountain Rider [Mar 12, 2012]
Strength:

Gives me great confidence on downhill runs, and optimum efficiency on climbs. No compromised seat post height. Has worked well for the last 4 months.

Crank Brothers has discontinued this product, and no longer offers the rebuild kit. if there is a product failure, you must send it in for repair. I personally have only used the product for 4 mo. - needs service, and now it is obsolete.

I loved this thing. It worked great for me, and I endorsed it with strangers and friends alike. Best accessory I have ever installed on my bike. However, I can no longer recommend it since the only support of this product is by mail thru the manufacturer.

Similar Products Used: none
Jeff   Weekend Warrior [Jan 02, 2012]
Strength:

Easy to adj. and set at any height

leaks oil after time and doesnt like cold weather, seems like every 6months you have to send it to cb for repairs and that takes 2 to 3 weeks to get back. Cost for needing to find another

adj. seat post are the best thing made for downhill and a xc must have but this one comes up short. other people I talked to had the same problem as I with the post leaking on hard hits, not staying fixed at the height and the seals leaked in cold weather. Dealing with cb is easy and pleasant but they just cant get it right. I sold this one and purchased a diffrent brand and still riding

Similar Products Used: gravity dropper, comand post
giantbikeboy   Weekend Warrior [Oct 03, 2011]
Strength:

it's pretty

side to side slop. pukes oil. POS.

Complete garbage. Do Not Buy. Mine was the under seat lever style. One ride and it crapped out. Try climbing 10 miles out of a canyon with your seat slammed.!*@&#& sucks. Now I get to clean oil from my carbon seat tube. Did I mention this thing sucks? No response to email yet either. Purchased based on reviews here. Wonder which brother is writing those? Thanks CB.

Similar Products Used: none
rsmarg   Cross Country Rider [Aug 09, 2011]
Strength:

Allows lowering and raising of saddle without having to stop and get off bike.

Looks nice.

Crank Bros. quality

Smart design.

Possibly a weight penalty?

Fear of scratching exposed stanchion

Easily one of the best upgrades I've made to my bike. I consider ranking it up there with my first foray into front and rear suspension. If you ride somewhere with a lot of variable, up-down terrain (as opposed to long grinder climbs followed by pure DH descents) this is money well spent.

Having the ability to drop my saddle before steep descents without dismounting has vastly enhanced my riding experience. I no longer have to kill the flow of a trail, nor do I have to worry about not being able to get back or low enough.

The setup works almost as well when raising, too. Its really nice to get to the bottom of a descent and be able to quickly pop the saddle back up to climbing height.

In fact, after 3 or 4 rides you get pretty well trained on operating the Joplin so that it really becomes a seamless feature to riding.

Crank Bros has thought the design out well, too. The handlebar mounted lever is small and unobtrusive yet big enough to get the leverage you need to activate the post. Setting it up is very simple and they were kind enough to make cable and housing replacement easy but using normal shifter housing and cables. Its also a very pretty part with the anodized rings and lever and black post.

I got the Joplin 3 two years ago and really liked it. Never had any performance issues beyond regular maintenance. However, the top tube of my bike slopes so much that I really wanted just one more inch. That's why I went to the Joplin 4R. Its now absolutely perfect. But if you don't need the 4 the 3 is just as good. Really depends on your bike setup.

In either case, getting the version with the remote handlebar lever is a must. Getting the one with the lever on the seatpost would pretty much nullify the benefit the post delivers. You really don't want to be entering a dicey downhill or coming into a quick climb and want to have to take your hand off the bars to find the seat lever. Pay the extra whatever to get the remote lever.

If I had to complain I'd say there may be a bit of a weight penalty, but I absolutely think its worth it (esp. on an all mountain or normal XC bike).

I also get nervous that the stanchion tube (if that's the right term) is so exposed. It could easily get scratched in a wreck. I suppose you could put a shock boot over it, though I've heard mixed opinions on that, with some suggesting that'll just attract and retain dirt and crud.