Bontrager Race Lite Seat post Seatpost

Race Lite Seat post

Race Lite Seat post

LowLow   [Feb 03, 2013]
Strength:

Light, looks pretty good, has markings on the seat post to help with seat positioning.

The clamping mechanism.

This seat post looks nice, is fairly cheap, and has markings to help with seat positioning, all of which are reasons for buying it. The main reason for not buying it, however, is that it uses a single bolt to clamp the seat post to the saddle. Because of this, on my first ride out, the seat post went backwards when my butt hit the saddle. Then it did it again as I was pedaling. This happened even though the seat post was in the middle of the saddle and and I torqued the bolt to just under its max torque (16NM).

The nice thing is that Bontrager has some sort of 30 day money back guarantee, so I was able to return the seat post to the LBS. They said they've had mix success with the post, with some people having the same problem as me and others not. The sales guy actually mentioned this issue before I bought the post, but I wanted to save some money and thought, "a post is a post."

Zeus   Weekend Warrior [Oct 09, 2000]
Strength:

light, stiff, easy to adjust

if you call it that - logo on the side scrapes off easily

As stated below, it does what it needs to do. It's light, strong, stiff, easy to adjust, and has the Bontrager name on it; well, until it scratches off, but it's still a Bontrager! Get one if you don't get a Thomson; you won't regret it and you'll never even know it's there, which is as it should be.

Similar Products Used: Kalloy, Thomson, System Comp.
Gene Choo   Cross Country Rider [Jun 19, 2000]
Strength:

Light, durable and easy to adjust

Graphics rub away too easily

Nothing fancy...just high quality component that works well.

pak   cross-country rider [Apr 15, 1998]

This seat post is well crafted from butted Easton EA70 AL. The clamping mechanisum is nicely designed, making saddle adjustments a breeze - simply tweak a pair of bolts to set the required saddle angle. My 26.8 x 390 model weighs in at a respectable 264g & sports a decent looking black anodized finish. Seat posts aren't exactly the most exciting components you can buy, but this one's a solid & reliable performer - what more could you want?

Christian M   Cross Country Rider [Jul 19, 2001]
Strength:

light, strong, durable

none at all

Very light seatpost, holds the saddle perfectly in position (in contrast to my former Kalloy, where the saddle was constantly slipping back). Seems to be strong and durable too and withstands a hard riding style. Screws and female connectors are made of stainless steel (I think Synchros uses aluminum - therefore it's not really for hardcore riding). Cheaper than Synchros and RaceFace.

Similar Products Used: Kalloy
Todd   Cross Country Rider [Sep 23, 2000]
Strength:

strong, simple, Bontrager-quality

It's a seatpost. It holds the seat. What else is a seatpost supposed to do? I'm confused about all of the comments on this site about static parts. Spend your money on the parts that matter - frames, wheels, and forks.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Comp, Control Tech
Ryan Hughes   Cross Country Rider [Apr 28, 2003]
Strength:

Easy to adjust

constant rubbing of any kind wears off the black anodization.

This product seemed to work fine for me. The black anodization wore off very quickly from my seat bag. Now there are big chrome sections. Remedy: took the seat bag off. I have the 31.6 mm version, so it's a little heavy at 305g. Not that I care that much about weight, but there seem to be a lot of lighter posts on the market now. Very stiff, no creaking, easy to adjust. I just ordered a thudbuster, since I got tired of bouncing off the seat at the slighted bump in the ground.

Greg Austin   Cross Country Rider [Jul 22, 2002]
Strength:

Light

Cracked after 7 months of use

Wouldn't have been my first choice but it came with the bike. I'm about 185lbs and ride mostly cross country (no big jumps or anything like that) so I'm a bit surprised that it cracked. I will probably see if I can weld it until I get a new one. Thompson or Easton???

Jason H   Racer [Sep 26, 2002]
Strength:

looks, good saddle clamp design

seatpost is narrower in certain sections than others...seriously.

This is for the Bontrager Race Seatpost.
I will admit I screw the bolt on pretty tight on the seat clamp. I do this mostly to stop the seatpost from slipping, a big problem I seem to have. I've finally figured out why my damn seatpost slips, bc its narrower in the section that I have it clamped at. I know this bc I unscrewed the seat clamp just enough to ease the seatpost out. My discovery: It took slighly more tension to pull the seatpost out after I passed a certain part (the narrower part). When re-inserting the seatpost it would hold until I got to the narrower section, slip past that, then hold again. This causes the seatpost to slip like mad when I have it at the narrower section (which I do). What gives, did I get a lemon? Anyways I'm going with a Thomson