Bontrager Comp Seatpost

Bontrager Comp Seatpost

Bontrager Comp

[Jun 09, 2003]
Joe Ianniello

Strength:

looks hot

Seat post bent under my 220lb body!

Hopefully Trek will warranty this poor product

most

[May 23, 2003]
Dan

Strength:

Cheap

Slips constantly

This seatpost came on my trek 8000 when i bought it. At first the seatpost worked absolutely fine. After a few months when I would be riding and i hit a rock, the seatpost would slip. The clamp is badly designed and afer it kept happening constantly, i decided to go buy a thomson seatpost which is absolutely amazing.

thomson elite

[Feb 12, 2007]
John

Strength:

Second real seatpost I've owned. Two bolt adjustment, different seatpost lengths, larger diameter and stronger.

The $50 cost to purchase the 45cm long version, the stock one when maxed out was 4" (10cm) too short, but upgraded to the Comp. version compared to the stock Bontrager one.

The best dual bolt seatpost I've used sofar. I don't think I should of had to pay for a longer one. Or just the price difference between the shorter & longer and the upgrade to Comp. would of been acceptable. But I feel a lot safer with 6-8" (15-20cm) of seatube in the seatube frame.
Bottom Line: Sofar the best I've owned/used.

Stock seatpost (nut & bolt) & Kalloy Uno (single hex bolt)replacement seatpost for 1994 Raleigh Matterhorn. Stock Bontrager (not Comp.) on 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk.

[Mar 01, 2002]
Matt

Strength:

fairly light, really cheap, strong

huh? I guess changing saddles is a little tricky...

This is a great component. Doesn't slip, doesn't creak, holds the saddle in place. It's plenty long and, at 31.6mm, should be plenty strong for, well, ever, I guess. I'm a big fan of Bontrager stuff, for the most part, and this is no exception. It is pretty hard to move up and down in the frame, but I think that's more a factor of the tight tolerances of the Titus frame than the post. I love the no-offset design and the total adjustability of the rocker bolt. I use automotive anti-seize on all metal-to-metal contacts (especially between the post and the seat tube) to keep things happy and creak-free.

Sncros ti, Icon, Kalloy

[Feb 26, 2002]
Matthew Weston

Strength:

Looks

Strength, Weight, life

Nice looks but thats all!

They are to my mind stupidly designed. The Seat clamp is pressed into to the atual post. Obviosly causing outwoods pressure to the post. I've had two now and both split at the top, same place. Luckily the gaurantee covers, but a newsense when it happens during a race. Cause all of a sudden the seat just starts spinning around!!!

Good value though, cause you can bang on getting a brand new one free every 6 months.

[Sep 26, 2001]
VIC

Strength:

clamp screw sheared in half on flat terrain;almost became an unwelcome body part...as it turned out I threw my lower back out of whack making the quick adjustment from not having a saddle...

This review is for the sport model which is now discontinued according to my LBS...came stock...lasted barely two months and done...what's up with the manufacturer putting a post like this on 2001 bikes if it's going to be discontinued...cutbacks to keep the price down and endanger the riders...good thing I wasn't in a technical situation when it happened...do the research and buy a thomson...'nuff said!

[Mar 20, 2003]
Justin

Strength:

Lightweight, quiet, post never slipped

WEAK CLAMP, seat moves with the slightest hit!!

This post came stock and is the only part left on my bike that is stock. It served well for the first 9 months, then the clamp started to give way. I disassembled it, cleaned the dirt and grime and replaced. Then about a month later it broke free of the clamp again on a jump. I took it apart again and the ribbed surface of the clamp is nearly stripped clean.

Overall this isn't a half bad seatpost, and for being stock, I wasn't upset. If you do have one, treat it with care, and tighten the clamp hard!

Icon post..

[Jul 06, 2001]
max

Strength:

two bolt clamp, strong, it does its job

limited sizes, i had to buy a spacer

i got this seat post after getting tired of my old single bolt clamp seat post not being able to hold the seat. after going off a jump, the back of the seat post would go down and the front way up (obviously making for an uncomfortable ride). this new post works great and solved my problem

single bolt clamp that came w/ my bike

[Jun 28, 2001]
Nick Fenton
Downhiller

Strength:

Light, stiff, strong. Only post that holds my seat tight in the position i like

lgo thingy came off when i put the post down

nice post thats cheap and works

thompson, specialized, K2, kore

[Mar 15, 2003]
Rich

Strength:

Set it and forget it. In the 2 years I've owned it, I've laid hands on it maybe a handful of times--but only to clean and lube everything.

None.

Not a bad looking post, and it's worked faithfully for the past couple of years, too! If I had to buy a new post, I'd go with a Thompson, but as a stock post, the Bontrager is fine.

Just a bunch of other posts--none I could trash talk.