WTB SST Saddle

WTB SST Saddle

Back by popular demand after a six year hiatus! The distinctive drop-nose design gives riders much more freedom of movement–to the tip of the nose on steep climbs, for example–and greatly decreases the chance of snagging baggy shorts while maneuvering rough singletrack.

[Jul 20, 2015]
Collin Owen
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Durable

-not cheap
-crazy numbness
-no place to sit while climbing access roads

Terrible saddle for long climbs. Has no support in the right places, and the nose is like a dick in the butt to try to climb on. I would recommend the chromag lynx saddle over this any day for the intended purpose of the saddle. This saddle was once discontinued. It should be discontinued again.

The high nose creates a valley in the middle while going front to back and it puts a lot of pressure on your privates. There is a lot of pressure on your perineum.

Chromag Lynx DT

[Jan 04, 2012]
ClayP

Strength:

durable

not comfortable, rails too far back for adjustability

I never liked this saddle - it did not fit me well. There is limited fore-aft adjustability compared to other saddles. It has held up well over 10 years though

San Marco Aspide, SDG Formula FXR, Selle Flite, Specialized Phenom

[May 11, 2011]
Ron Kopald

Strength:

Lasted practically forever, very comfortable, tough as hell

It's not made any more

Full disclosure: This is a review/Irish wake.
My SST98 has been crowning my old war horse since 1998. So..that's 13 years of service from ONE saddle. Impressive. and I've put lots o' miles on this thing. Granted this may sound like ancient mountain biking pre-history, but it's all true. After the comfortable as nails stock Ritchey saddle I had on my Bridgestone finally made my ass surrender, I went through several other saddles. I had an early incarnation of a Specialized channeled saddle that lasted ~1&1/2 seasons before crapping out on me. Then there was an old Bontrager that was fine but I didn't like, a couple others I can't remember, then finally this one. I love this saddle. Funny thing is, I didn't know until 2 weeks ago when I was forced to consider a replacement for it, that it was made in Italy and other people loved it as much as I do. This saddle has been through hell and high water and it's shined for all of it. The only reason I'm replacing it is that it's become ragged. This was the greatest saddle I've ever owned. I put trail miles, road miles, commute miles and drunken bar miles on it, and it was there for every single one of my adventures. I cannot state how much this saddle has been through and how happy I've been with it. I just replaced it with a Fizik Arione, so we'll see how that goes. But based on how well crafted the Italian produced SST98 was, I suspect the Arione is going to be around a long time.

WTB Rocket V Specialized, Botnrager, Ritchey.

[Feb 07, 2009]
Bill Kirby

Strength:

Long lasting and very comfortable. Also like the high quality leather and durable kevlar corner protectors

I've been riding this saddle for 7 years on a regular basis and still love it. Would like to buy another, but can't find them - not even online. Wish WTB still made as high quality a saddle, but the new ones aren't nearly as well made : (. I could be happy riding this saddle for the rest of my years. After riding several different saddles, I've learned that you get what you pay for. A quality saddle is worth every penny - especially if you want to avoid injuries or nerve problems and numbness. My advice, don't be duped by similar WTB saddles; they are not as comfortable or long lasting. However, if you can find an SST.98 Buy It.

Brooks, Avocet, Fizik - but none compare

[Feb 27, 2002]
mike

Strength:

light weight, soft nose

a little stiff on long rides

after 2 years one of the ti rails snapped, I contacted wtb and they said send it back for repair, a month later I had the seat back with new ti rails...great customer service

vetta, cane creek, avocet air,

[Jul 12, 2002]
GRR

Strength:

Light (Ti rails), good quality, SST shape is supreme, very confort, italian craftmanship, CHEAP.

NONE

I can't believe what I paid!! It was a real steal. Maybe they didn't know what a great saddle they were givin away. Saddle is a very personal taste. I'm 5'8" and 155 lbs. and this is the best saddle I've tried in my 20 year cycling experience. I don't know much about the tech crap involved in saddles lately, so I read your reviews and decided to try the SST.98 Thanks people, because this saddle is now my best companion of long rides.
I'd give 10 flames for value rating and overall rating.

Viscount, Selle Italia

[May 13, 2007]
Doug Gunther

Strength:

elastomer cushions between the rails and seat soften the ride. Quality Leather cover, curved nose prevents snagging shorts when going from standing to seated.

No longer made. Hard to find.

Don't confuse the SST.98 with the SST or SST.2K - these saddles are not as well-made or comfortable as the SST.98. WTB originally contracted with an Italian saddle maker known for their fine leather craftsmanship to make the expensive SST.98 saddles. This saddle is extremely comfortable thanks to the unique orange elastomers that significantly reduce vibration between the rails and saddle body. It also has a softer "Comfort Zone" to relieve pressure against the perineum that can cause numbness. (This is the part of the body that contains the nerves and arteries to the genitals.) WTB stopped making the SST.98 saddle because even at a suggested sellling price of $140, it was too expensive to make and so they lost money on it. I've enjoyed the same WTB SST.98 saddle for the past 8 years! It continues to keep me comfortable now on my third bike. If I could find another one of these covetted saddles, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. It is such a good saddle, WTB couldn't afford to keep making them. It is the best saddle WTB ever made.

SST.2k, WTB SST

[Sep 06, 2001]
Greg

Strength:

VERY Comfy, easy on-off, drop nose doesn't snag pants, nice and light.. GOOD workmanship

Weaknesses!!! Weaknesses!!! We don't need no stinking weeknesses

Best, most comfortable saddle I have EVER ridden.. I weigh 200 lbs and haven't broken it... Maybe I am a little bit less "gonzo" than some.. who knows.. I am real happy...I am going to buy one for my road bike and sell the Selle Italia Trans-Am on e-bay

Cost was high but... like they say

"High zute MTB... $2,500"
"Cool riding outfit.... $150"
"Great burger after ride .... $8.95"

"Happy butt..... priceless"

Vetta Tri Shock, Selle Italia Trans Am, Selle Flite, numerous others not fondly remembered

[Nov 13, 1998]
roo
cross-country rider

I like ridingHARD AND LONG, and ride WTB saddles because after riding I want be be, well, you know... So I have beeg a big fan of SST saddles since they were invented (by the way, I have it on good authority that the gods at WTB designed the original from a block of wood mounted to a seatpost, and shaped it until it felt right. How's that for product development?) Anywhoo, the SST.98 has got to be about the best thing invented since the bike itself. My ass is sooooo happy, it smiles :-) No numbness, no hangups on the nose, good for everything from a short ride to 24 hr. races. to everything else. Wanna have kids? Get one, and please, don't complain about the price, its really rather reasonable considering the craftmanship and attention to detail. WTB, I looooove you guys!! cinco chiles con carne!!!!

[Nov 09, 1998]
Tim Reed

My last mt. bike came with the a standard SST, and I will have to say I fell head over heals in love with it. My buddy who was riding a flithe ti even went out and bought one after riding my bike for a few miles. When I had a few other saddles, including the flithe, I used to have to adjust my seat post when going from fire roads to single track becuase I would get hung up on the nose of other saddles in single track if I kept the saddle in the same position. Not only is the SST good in many different conditions, it is mighty comfortable even on long rides. Great saddle, glad I was introduced to it