WTB SST Saddle Saddle

WTB SST

Sam   Cross Country Rider [May 28, 2003]
Strength:

Durable, light, dropped nose is great for climbing

This is still the saddle all others are compared to. I have now tried a number of saddles with cutouts and "anatomic" designs, and some are pretty good, but I was surprised to find that none do a better job than this one preventing numbness on on long rides. Everyone has their preferences, but the relatively wide rear and soft nose work for me. Works equally well on road and mountain bikes.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Comp and Pro saddles, Koobi Silver, Brooks B-17 narrow, Avocet, etc.
Mike   [Feb 19, 2006]
Strength:

Dropped nose. No pressure on the "stuff".

"Hands down" the best mtb saddle going and the knuckleheads stop making it.

After almost 15 years of mtb and trying too many saddles this is, by far, the most comfortable, well designed, perfectly fucntioning saddle ever.

Too bad WTB no longer makes it!!!

Similar Products Used: TNTC
Jervis   Cross Country Rider [Oct 31, 2002]
Strength:

VERY comfortable. Good and light. Cheap enough I can get two or three at a time.

The "leather" cover started coming off on the first ride.

Great saddle. Took some time to get my ass used to it, but when you switch saddles that's gonna happen. After one good sized ride I was set. I don't even use padded shorts and this thing doesn't chafe at all. They also have the ti railed version, which I imagine would be much lighter and still just as comfy. 5 for the value and 4 because the covering is starting to come off after the first ride.

Similar Products Used: Body Geometry, cheap schwinn and pacific saddles
niko stachos   Weekend Warrior [Feb 22, 2002]
Strength:

comfortable, low nose, thick leather (hasn't torn yet), looks

weight, the competition is producing lighter seats

haven't had one problem yet. i have been using it for 3, or 4 years. it still looks new, although i use it al lot.

i am about to order a new bike, and probably order a different seat for my new bike.

the sst weighs around 230 gr (titanium rails), the competition is proding seats that weight half.

Similar Products Used: - don't remember brand
Gordon Ghenter   Cross Country Rider [Jan 27, 2002]

This is really the only saddle I have ever used. I have only been into cycling for about two years and I am still using the WTB SST saddle that came on my first bike. I see no reason to change. This saddle is just plain nice. I have never experienced any pain or numbness with this seat, even on a couple of five or six hour long rides that I have been on. I got a new bike with a squishy seat that I found unbearable (it just hurt everthing in the pelvic region), so I took this saddle off my old bike. I dont see how a saddle could be better for me than this one is. I've got probably 15,000 off road miles on this saddle and it's still in great condition. Finding the right saddle is a personal business, but I'd recomend this one. Don't take my word for it, the WTB SST is only $15 at pricepoint.com right now (or two for $25). I think I'll buy a couple while they're this cheap (and available) so I'll have a replacement whin this one wears out.

JT   [Jan 18, 2002]
Strength:

Comfort ... comfort ... comfort.

Can't withstand skidding on the pavement after a crash on black ice. Oops ... can't withstand skidding on pavement after I was stupid enough to ride my bike when there was black ice around and then crashed.

I agree with Graham here. I made the mistake of switching to a Selle Italia seat and it hurt like you wouldn't believe. I had to stop every few miles to get my baggies readjusted. That lasted all of a week before I went back to my original and trusty WTB. Now, after crashing a week ago and ripping it up, I am getting yet another one of these (Price Point for $15). Over time I have upgrade everything on my bike except the frame, handlebars and seat. When I finally swap out the handlebars and frame, I'll still keep this seat!

As for the value on this, at $15, I wish I could rate it higher than a 5!

Similar Products Used: Selle Italia
Jervis   Cross Country Rider [Oct 31, 2002]
Strength:

The "leather" cover started coming off on the first ride.

Similar Products Used: Body Geometry, cheap schwinn and pacific saddles
Graham   Weekend Warrior [Oct 02, 2001]
Strength:

Good, solid, sound design. Value for money.

An excellent and inexpensive saddle that keeps pressure off the 'delicate' bits by design.
I made the terrible mistake of switching to a swanky leather-covered, ti-railed Selle Italia Flite for a few weeks.
What a piece of nut-busting, perinaeum-pounding load of arse that was!