WTB SST.K Saddle

SST.K

WTB SST.K

KB   Weekend Warrior [Jun 20, 2003]
Strength:

Sturdy, good quality, light enough, good styling

Too hard

If you have a bony butt like mine, forget this seat, it's too hard. Thought I could buy a comp saddle since I had the cushy suspension seatpost, wrong answer. Certain bumps caused a backlash that just about crushed the urethra. Took it off the MTB and put it on my road bike, where it seemed comfortable for short rides, but longer rides gave me saddle sores under the sit bones every time. I'm sure it's a good seat for someone with more meat on their bones. Disappointed it didn't work for me.

Similar Products Used: The Trek seat that came with the bike, Nashbar (can't remember model, but Chro Mo rails, thick padding and cutout)
RICHARD HUNTSO   Cross Country Rider [Nov 05, 2001]
Strength:

Good looking, reasonably well made

Hard as hell

I know many people swear by these and they need breaking in, but I felt like the loser in a 24 hour arse kicking competition, it`s got to go

Similar Products Used: Sella Flite
Paul   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 21, 1999]
Strength:

Curved down nose
Wide seating surface
Plenty of padding

I don't understand all the negative reviews. I have had this saddle for 2 years and it has been great. I am no light weight at 220 lbs. but this saddle has been through many crashes and is still in great shape. If it can keep my fat ass comfortable on the rocky east coast single track then it should be fine for everyone else.

Similar Products Used: Specialized seats
Chris   Weekend Warrior [Jun 01, 2001]
Strength:

Durable cover
Great WTB customer service (free replacement of rails after they were bent in a crash)

none to speak of

These go on sale all the time for $25, it is a great saddle for those with narrow butts like mine. Probably not a good fit for a woman (who would have more space between the sit bones)

Getting angle and fore-aft adjustment correct is important, the majority of problems folks are having probably pertain to improper setup.

Similar Products Used: This was a replacement for the stock WTB SST saddle that came with my bike, whose cheapo vinyl cover ripped after 2 months
Dirts   Weekend Warrior [Nov 11, 2000]
Strength:

Doesn't get hook on shorts when climbing
cool colors

A little stiff..But no numb nuts yet!

This seat is great except it is a litte stiffer than other saddles but definately worth the money

Allan Caldwell   Weekend Warrior [Feb 24, 2003]
Strength:

Quality conxtruction, light alloy rails, Kevlar corners, Goes with the paint job!

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEE

A great, comfy high quality strong seat. i got mine for christms after i tore the vinyl cover on my other one. is sweet. light and comfy.

Similar Products Used: Viscount(no-name), harded steel frying pan duck taped to seat post, pillow.
Tim Parker   Weekend Warrior [Jul 26, 2000]
Strength:

Very comfy for a good one!

Not so comfy for a bad one!

After buying the saddle mail order I have to say it was the comfiest saddle I've had - and kept getting comfier - so I purchased another for my other bike from a different mail order company and found it alot worse. C***, if any padding, poor build and uncomfy! I don't know whether they're made under licence by different subcontractors or what but I am more than happy with the decent one but less than impressed with the ar** punisher! (I've rated for the good one)

Similar Products Used: Flite, Club Roost, Saracen
Hugh Ponsford   Cross Country Rider [Jul 09, 2000]
Strength:

Looks good. Comfy with no numbness. Kevlar bits. Not squidgy.

Popped out one rail on my previous SST.K in a crash.

I'm with the people that love this saddle. I did manage to break it easily, but seeing as that was all I broke in the crash, I feel quite lucky! I'm quite light (140lb) so the fact that it is firm suits me. I also found that it softens up after some months, and develops more flex in the body. It is not a cheap saddle (in the UK) but can be found cheaper mail order. I would suggest that this is an ideal saddle for lighter people.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Vector. Flite.
Brian T   Cross-Country Rider [Nov 05, 1999]
Strength:

Cost me $15 at the LBS
embroiery keeps ya' from slipping
drop nose keeps you from getting snaged

HARD
staring to creak
kevlar patches too small to protect it

This seat is marginal.
It comes stock on many bikes so that is why you see a lot of them.
After 2 years mine is shot. The kevlar was not in the rickt place to protect it from a crash and the cover is ripping all around the bottom of the shell. Also the embroider is mostly worn off.
If you can find one of these in the discount bin for $15 or $25 it may be worth it... maby

Nick   Cross-Country Rider [Sep 02, 1999]
Strength:

Droop gives easy access/egress
Kevlar - no damage
Light
Looks good

Fits just right for me (at 180lb).
No pain ever or numbness(!)
Looks good. Embroidery gives good grip
It is fairly hard, but soon get used to it.