Velo Live Wire Saddle

Velo Live Wire

Ilan   Weekend Warrior [May 01, 1999]
Strength:

keeps my ass of the seatpost.
looks cool.

feels like a piece of injection-molded plastic.

Not very comfy for longer rides. After a three hour ride, i was numb. Kevlar is nice for durability and i have no problem moving for/aft. Acceptable suspension if you set up righ with the clamp in the middle of the rails. Id give it 3.5, but ill round up to 4 cuz no seat is actually confortable, maybe except those crazy Specialized ones. (which i might get).

Stu   Cross-Country Rider [May 24, 1999]
Strength:

Looks good
Lightweight

Ouch,Ouch,Ouch

The bottom line is do not buy this seat, it is really harsh to sit on even for a short ride, the main section of the seat is way to short for anyone but a real small person, and the suspension doesn't flex enough to notice. i am returning it to Supergo immediately.

Similar Products Used: Giant factory seat from 98 Iguana
Ron   cross-country rider [Mar 11, 1999]

Forgive me brothers for I have sinned. I have judged a product before fully knowing its worth ( or lack thereof) Oh my aching prostate!! I just took a 10 mile rooty, rocky technical ride today and my nuts are killing me!! I judged this saddle to soon by giving it 3.5 chilis. This thing isn't worth a damn, give me back my vetta. 1 chili.

Ron   cross-country rider [Mar 05, 1999]

I just got the Velo livewire today and test rode it. Compared to my Vetta AT transverse it comes up short. The Vetta had a much better suspension and was far more comfortable. But the livewire does have kevlar sides that will hopefully make it more durable than the vetta. Overall, I will give the livewire a 3.5 chilli rating because of it's price of 30 bucks and it's relative comfort.

Endoboy   downhiller [Nov 28, 1998]

I have had a Velo Crossbow for two years now and I am satisfied with its performance. I have read some riders did not feel that suspension worked for them, but they have to remeber that the seat only absorbs small deflections. There is some absorbtion of shock, that is absorbed by the rails,seat and your butt. You can adjust the seat back far enough to let the rails flex, you should feel some flex and movement when your butt pushes on the saddle. Well for 30 ducketts and numerous crashes the kevlar edges have held out, but the leather at the very rear of the seat has started to delaminate from the plastic seat base. The seat looks cool with the embroidery, which helps keep the seat from moving around. The only drawback is that the seat is kinda heavy, but 30 bucks and two years of hard use. I give it 4 jalapeneos.

Big Dave   cross-country rider [Oct 26, 1998]

THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE CROSSBOW - NOT THE LIVE WIRE The Crossbow is a worthless tank. It is supposed to have a built in suspension system, but the life of me I can't feel a thing. So what does that boil down to? The saddle is a heavy piece of junk that kills my ass. Sure it looks good but I would rather have a plain looking seat that didn't weigh over 400 grams that actually made me feel comfortable. 1 chili is being generous.

Todd   cross-country rider [Aug 24, 1998]

I didn't get the Live Wire saddle, but Velo's Crossbow model. They're cut pretty much the same, which looks okay, but the suspension is all snake oil marketing, it don't work. It's attractive enough, with Kevlar edges and embroidered logos, etc., but it's not very comfortable, and whoa! this pig is heavy (330 g). Got it at Supergo, but they have Bontragers, Flights and Vettas priced almost as cheap. Oh well, maybe my next endo will destroy this thing so I can retire it.

Dan Spengler   cross-country rider [Jun 22, 1998]

Pretty comfy saddle. The long rails provide excellent cushioning on bumpy ascents allowing you to stay in the saddle longer. Kevlar sides are nice for long wear. Anyone who rides the saddle should get royalties from Velo because the embroidered logo on the top is so huge. The price is right and you can get them mail order for around 30 clams.

George   cross-country rider [Jun 05, 1998]

Woops! I'm the first guy to post about this saddle and now I take it all back. I've seen the light (and comfort) of the Selle Italia Flight Saddle. It puts this thing to shame. For about $20 more than the LIVE WIRE you get a lot more comfort from the Flight. I'm sorry if you followed my prior advice. Mea culpa. At least the LIVE WIRE is cheap and looks good (so it gets a revised review of 2 tamales). Do your butt a favor and get a Flight. I did.

A.   cross-country rider [May 10, 1998]

well they say that theres always one..... thats me today,i cant believe hopw many people actually like this saddle.Its sooooo uncomfortable.I have raced/ridden this thing for about a year and finally bought a new saddle(vetta transverse)at supergo on sale of course and couldnt believe the difference.IT FITS. I have to admit that iI wouldnt have known the difference had I not sat on a friends. The Velo had almost no travel/absorbtion and is a brick,and is 58g heavier on my scale,so those of you that have it DONT sit on anyones bike,youll be sorry.