Velo Crossbow Saddle

Crossbow

John   Weekend Warrior [Feb 12, 2007]
Strength:

Leather cover, Kevlar corner protectors, Embroidered logo/grip, Longer nose.

Very limited padding, very limited shock absorption & couldn't buy in Canadian Bike stores (1998).

I got this saddle when the stock Vetta on my 1996 GT Ricochet wore out. I got it from the Frankford Cycle catalog in 1998 as I could find none at my LBS. The information sounded really good - low price, leather cover, kevlar corners, embroidered logo and a longer nose. The seat has minimal padding (the Vetta was a lot better), I don't really feel the crossbow shock absoption so I bought a full suspension bike in mid 2001.
Bottom Line: A replacement saddle that I would only rate as good, the Vetta was twice as good and the Bontrager FS 2000 is the best sofar.

Similar Products Used: A no-name saddle stock on a 1994 Raleigh Matterhorn, a replacement saddle as the stock one was too short & wide. A Vetta but not the TT (Tri-Shock) that came stock on my 1996 GT Ricochet. A Bontrager FS 2000 that came stock on my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk.
joel   Cross Country Rider [Feb 11, 2002]
Strength:

It looks like an expensive seat. The length allows much movement. It's a narrow seat which I've found works best for me. It's all about where your sit bones are. I tried a wider saddle and I hated it. This one is much better. I haven't spent more than an hour on the seat, so I'm not sure how it will feel in a long haul. I ride my Flite for that schtuff.

It's stapled to the frame. The rails are CR-MO.

I used to think a narrow seat would be nasty, but they aren't. It works for me. But, maybe not for you. My fave shape is a scoop seat with a long nose because it work with my sit bones. A long seat gives me room to move up on climbs and move back on the descents, The Crossbow isn't as scooped as I'd like, but it does have some curve to it. A Salsa seat I had pushed the area behind "the boys" so much I didn't really want to ride that much (too flat across the top). That's not cool.

Similar Products Used: Cheap GT saddle, San Marco Salsa, Selle Italia Flite Ti. Didn't know how good the GT was until I tried something else.
Trent   Weekend Warrior [Mar 11, 2004]
Strength:

Good Looks, Good Price

A little uncomfy

This seat allows a lot of movement and its narrowness suits me (can get back of the seat when need)

Lately I have been using it for commuting as well as freeride and have been finding it quite hard and uncomfortable. It is a bit worn so I think its time for it to go (any suggestions on what to get next?)

The seat looks great though, would reccomend it to a freerider anyday - It served me well

number 4   [Mar 01, 2001]
Strength:

titanium rails i think, looks neat, fairly light

makes me arse hurt

Listen, I got this seat for 13 bucks so i wasn't expecting much. It is lighter, more durable and looks much cooler than the coda seat it replaced. It is also thinner so it's easier to transfer weight back. The downside is if you ride for more than an hour it makes your bum hurt pretty bad. But hey, if I wanted a comfy hobby i'd take up golf. only 3 flaming sandbars for making sitting down ouchy

Similar Products Used: coda seat
Kurt   Weekend Warrior [Nov 03, 2000]
Strength:

Its plussh, kewl designs, i like the gel

it feels huge, i used to ride a pretty narrow Gt seat, i still have to get used to this one. I got this seat seatpost and assembly(not that i couldnt have done it myself) for $50.00

its a snazzy look, i just gotta get used to it

Similar Products Used: nm
David Rynne   Cross Country Rider [Feb 26, 2000]
Strength:

Good quality and hard wearing
kevlar protects from tears

it absorbs a lot of water

Its a good saddle.
its length gives a choice of riding positions and the narrow nose is "ergonomicaly designed"
The leather is stapled on to the saddle rather than stitched and will eventually come off as a result of wet weather riding. The Crossbow stitching is almost illegible and i am getting sick of people asking me what it says
titanium railed saddles are quite expensive and this is something of a bargain

Similar Products Used: tioga saddle
Chris Frison   cross-country rider [Apr 14, 1998]

I finally got this saddle after riding a 6 year old flite knock-off. It's hard as a rock, it seems soft but it's not. The only good thing is the stiching which holds your butt in place , but the stiching on the corners between the saddle and the color change on the corners cause some umm umm irritation of a personal area.

roger   Cross Country Rider [Jul 27, 2003]
Strength:

design and long term comfort

when it wears out i will buy another

Steve Spinella   [Dec 11, 2006]
Strength:

leather cover, gel insert

weight

This is a good basic saddle. I like the leather, it got comfortable pretty quickly (after a month or so I stopped thinking about changing back.) It still looks new about a year into usage, but it feels more flexible.

As others have said, it allows movement front to back according to preference and for variety on the rear end.

At first the fabric blocks on the back end bothered me since the last seat didn't have them, but that passed quickly enough. It probably does help when sitting back on the seat since I don't have as much grip on the nose then.