Trico Sports Split-Rail Saddle

Trico Sports Split-Rail Saddle

• First saddle tunable for rail tension, saddle stiffness, and symmetry
  • Multiple adjustments to saddle geometry
  • Ti rails
  • Precision CNC'd aluminum undercarriage
  • Sleek, durable New Hyde cover

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 26, 2003]
    Jim C

Strength:

Designed to save the anatomy

Poor materials, craftmanship meant saddle feels great at first, then horrible shortly thereafter.

Tried the Trico3 for over 1 year, Split Rail for 2 mos, and new Prima EX (avail @ Nashbar) for 1 mo. Split Rail padding began to crush & give way to hard plastic underneath after a few weeks. Hoped Prima EX better, & would have solved Split Rail's known problems. Seemed to be designed as light-weight racing saddle; unfortunately in my opinion was a complete flop - literally. I placed one on my road bike & one on my track bike. I weigh 187 #s and after riding on them about 4 hrs/week each for about 4 weeks, they BOTH cracked/folded/failed/gave (however you want to say it) across the middle where most of my weight comes down. While they didn't break in two, the fold meant they caved down in the middle, allowing my weight to hit the top of the seatpost (ouch), and an edge crack jutting out the sides began to cut into my thigh as I rode (ouch). Needless to say I replaced them fairly quickly with different saddles (Terry Zero (black) - works well so far after 2 weeks) once this started happening. These were a replacement for a previous failed Trico saddle (Trico3 mtn bike saddle), so I'm not getting the impression Trico has strong standards/quality control for the higher mileage, harder racing-style rider.

San Marco Era K, Trico3 (with firestripes), Terry Zero

[Dec 11, 2001]
    Green Iggy

Strength:

Adjustable rear width, no soreness when adjusted right

Rail tension adjustment not really useful, heavy, padding comes unglued

This saddle was never very comfortable for me, but when adjusted right, it never actually made me sore either. You pay for the adjustability in weight though. The padding on one side of mine is coming unglued. I tried regluing it but it won't stay on. I've recently switched to a different saddle because of it.

Stock Giant, Terry Liberator Race, WTB Laser V

[Mar 07, 2002]
    Nick Smith

Strength:

It looks cool. Good idea but bad design.

Saddle sqeaks. Something is wrong with the moving parts of the saddle. I tried to lube it every ride. Very annoying. Heavy and expensive.

Don't buy this saddle. A total waste of money. You can find a much better and comfortable saddle without messing with the rail tension and width.

None.

[Jan 28, 2002]
    John

Strength:

Comfort if adjusted right.

Noisy!!!, weight, Very bad customer service from Trico Sports. Expensive.

Trico Sports promised 1 inch of travel in width adjustment. In reality, you only get about half an inch of adjustability. Because they are so many moving parts, screws, this saddle gets noisy and sqeaks in no time. I had to lube it every two rides. The rail tension adjustment feature makes little difference in saddle stiffness. Cover peels easily. Even with the use of titanium rails this saddle weights 400+ grams. Worst of all, the plastic base where the the screw anchors to the pads gave after only three monthes of use. I called trico sports' customer service at 2:30pm on Jan 28th, 2002 and each time they say my phone is breaking off after I told them the reason I called. I felt stupid spending 95 bucks on this saddle.

Selle Italia Saddles.

[Nov 19, 2003]
    Jake

Strength:

matches the color of my bike

everything...noisy, heavy, limited adjustability, expensive and worst of all bad customer service!!! Warranty paper is as useful as a piece of toilet paper

I had lots of problems with this saddle. When I called Trico Sports to ask for warranty replacement they pretended they couldn't hear me and hang up on me. Save your hard earned money on something else. zero flames for value and zero overall ratings.

Specialized, Terry

[Dec 19, 2001]
    Olen Penn

Strength:

Looks cool

completely numb after the HHH, noisy, expensive

Good idea, bad product. This product was reviewed recently in Bicycle mag, but they didn't do an extensive time test on it. I just threw my saddle away because after a 45 mile ride, I had really bad puss bubbles along the right side of my inner thigh were the seat had pressed. I took the saddle off the post and looked at it and noticed that the padding had come undone and the right side of the saddle was lower than the left. I do remember some discomfort the last two weeks while riding. I wouldn't recommend this saddle at all. I gave it 3 chilis for value because it's not the worst saddle out there, but the price makes it a 1 chili value.

wide assortment of saddles

[Feb 17, 2003]
    Rick Lange

Strength:

This is a great saddle! You can get the proper width, and it does not put any pressure on the soft tissue areas ! This is the best anatomical saddle in existance.

Weight is the only weakness! But the comfort factor makes up for it! Perhaps not quite as durable as other saddles if you crash alot! But it is the best thing available for anyone who has soft tissue problems or numbness from cycling saddles!

I highly recoommend this product.

Just about every saddle every made!

[Aug 01, 2005]
    Holly

Strength:

Maybe cuz I'm a chick, the experience is totally different. I LOVE the saddle. It adjusts perfectly for my anatomy. I don't feel a thing. The saddle is quite a bit narrower than the chunky women specific saddles.

It's heavy.

I weigh 110lbs and ride for distance vs. aggressiveness. The saddle is in great condition even after a couple thousand kilometres. Maybe it's better suited for women and light riders.

Terry, Selle (like sitting on a thumbtack)

[Aug 02, 2006]
    ray

Strength:

its a bike saddle. it dont hurt the but when fitted to the person

looks cool or cheap depending on who is looking at it. heavy.. but it has metal components to it not nylon or plastic. it does squeek a bit... its not nylon or plastic

if you need an ergo seat or you ride gret distances. this is it.. ( use an mp3 player to drwn out the occasional squeek. If tried tape to deaden the squeeks .. dont work.
    I truely believe some of these reviews are made by people who do not own or have ever actually ridden the saddle. If you find one for under $50.. go for it. its not a lightweight saddle but it is far from the heaviest either.

you name it

[Mar 29, 2002]
    Kurt

Strength:

None. Like the previous users said, the saddle is absolutely the worst saddle in the world. My broke after just 3 weeks and I am not even a heavy weight.

You name it.

Don't buy this saddle!!! You will regret it. Ever wonder why it is on sale everywhere now? Because every shop is trying to unload it. I would have given it a zero flaming chili if I have the option.

Terry Ti-race Liberator