Tioga Spyder Saddle Saddle

• 140g

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 31, 2014]
    Johnnie

Strength:

Light weight, looks cool, cost, surprisingly comfortable

Slippery

I run this saddle on my DH bike. I usually wear thick cordura shorts or pants and have not had any issues with the seat wearing down my clothing.

I found the saddle to be slippery when I first used it. I attribute this to the hard shell design. It took some getting used to before I was comfortable jumping around with this saddle on my bike. I did strategically place skateboard deck tape on the sides and tail of the saddle to help with the feel of the saddle when standing up and moving around the bike.

Once I got used to the saddle I love it. I can sit and spin on the seat and it is surprisingly comfortable. It is very light weight (which is why I went with this seat). And it looks bad ass, people always comment or ask me about it.

I do not have the split tail, I have the "Tioga D-Spyder Saddle". I recommend this seat, maybe not for long haul endurance rides, but it works great on my gravity bike.

Selle Italia Flight, Selle Italia SLR, The, WTB

[Mar 27, 2013]
    Ater

[Sep 12, 2012]
    Ari

Strength:

Light (Duh!), surprisingly comfortable, awesome unique look, relatively inexpensive.

might not be the best for heavier riders, Tioga recommends replacing yearly

I swapped out the stock saddle on my bike with the Twin Tail version in red. What a difference! Unlike my previous saddle, I can ride this without padded shorts and still feel fine (it's great with padded shorts). Whats more, my bike feels slightly more responsive now that there's 170 grams less up top. I think this seat is a great upgrade for lighter riders who want to save weight on their rigs. (as reference, I weigh 147)

[May 03, 2012]
    Jeff

Strength:

Flexible, yet firm - not soft or squishy, but surprisingly comfortable and forgiving.

Only one I can see, can get expensive, too - it's wearing a seat-shaped pattern in my bib shorts, fraying the threads. Not good.

I really liked this saddle, until I saw that it's tearing up some of my favorite bibs!! I'm probably going to remove it and keep it as a "novelty", it is cool, and gets a lot of attention from other riders. It's surprisingly comfy - almost better than my Specialized Toupe - only, my Toupe doesn't wear away the fabric of my bibs. So, sorry Tioga Spyder - not made for road riders who like to save money, and not buy bibs all the time!

[Apr 09, 2011]
    BruceBrown

Strength:

This review is for the Tioga D-Spyder saddle which is more off road oriented than the road version Spyder. The D-Spyder is light (165g), strong and weather proof.

None in terms of performance yet, but quality added shorts are required. Rails are pretty short giving minimal fore/aft adjustment possibilities, but with proper seatpost height I was able to dial in my preferred fit.

BMX designed, yet durable enough for XC off road riding compared to the road version Spyder which is not as off road friendly. Combined with good quality XC racing bib shorts, this saddle feels a lot better than I expected. I have not been on any rides longer than 3 hours yet, but I have not had an issue with my usual weekly training rides in the 2 - 2 1/2 hour range. There is a trade off for the minimalist shell and weather proof saddle in terms of a bit of missed comfort, but my backside has adapted quite well and I'm going to keep it on for some upcoming races. I'd rank it a 4 out of 5 for comfort (which is higher than I was expecting when I ordered it). I figured for $32 if I didn't like it, the expense wasn't going to set me back. Turns out I really like it.

Minimal padded saddles such as the WTB Devo/Deva line, Titec (older models that were minimalist).

[Feb 11, 2010]
    wheels.msl

Strength:

like, looks cool, comfy (for me)

none yet

So far I have had great service from this saddle. It was comfortable from the start and remains my fave saddle to ride. I'm a 195 lb rider at it has held up well for the year.

stella, bontrager, lots of cheapo saddles

[Jun 22, 2008]
    jadamsmtb

Strength:

looks so cool people stop to take pics of it and discuss it's lackof merits

like riding a cheese grater- my crotch is aching this morning! may be just a little better with cycling shorts

i work in the industry so i scored this saddle for free directly from tioga and will not be installing it on any of my sweet bikes. i am happy with my specialized toupe gel. will unload this on e-bay to some sorry buyer. 1 flaming value chilli even though i got it for free!

specialized avatar, alias, toupe, selle itialia slr, flite, bontrager saddles, so many more

[Jun 13, 2007]
    Emerson Howe

Strength:

Bithchin' looks, light weight, impress your friends!

Uhhhh.... it broke. Also it was $75 f***ing dollars, which is still less than full price.

Although it looks amazing, I was rather disappointed with it. I could never get it do be dialed in so it was comfortable. I have a Fetish Cycles carbon fiber set on an old aluminum Cannondale road bike, so I'm not a wus about seats. Another downside is it's price; regardless of what you pay (anywhere from $45 on eBay or $110ish new), Tioga recommends that you replace it every season. I'm 15 lbs below their max weight and it only lasted for 3 light races. If you are a lightweight it may work better for you, but I really think it depends on your body build. Try one out first if you can, because not only is it expensive but if you race with it you won't want to sit on anything thinner than a couch the next day.

Bottom Line: If you are a light weight weenie with disposable income and a hard ass, buy it. All others: don't be seduced by its looks, it's not worth the pain.

A seatpost up my bum.

[Mar 24, 2007]
    Brad

Strength:

Looks cool

must be broken in

what it is is what it is.... you wimps need to shut up and ride. it will break in and flex as good as any lite-weight saddle with a layer of leather. If youre a weight weenie then get it.

many

[Jun 17, 2006]
    James Jones

Strength:

It Looks good but that's where it ends

fragile, I'm on my 2nd saddle in 3 months

I've got to tell you this saddle is 1st uncomfortable which I expected but 2nd it's a piece of crap.
    I broke my 1st saddle when I layed the bike down on the trail and the rear of the seat clipped the ground. One wreck one broken seat. Tioga to there credit replaced the seat, by the way you have to bring it to a dealer not send it to them directly and just try and find Tioga's number on-line. PS here it is your gonna need it 310-719-1718
    2nd seat
    Just broke I'm I have no idea what happened I'm just riding along felt a pinch in the arse and the saddle was broken.
    No wreck no nothing just broke.
    The problem is the webbing of the saddle just cannot support your body weight or take even a slight hit. You can crush this saddle with your hand it sooooo fragile.
    This seat has no use other than hey weigh my bike it's xxlbs then take the seat off and ride.

None this is a world class piece of crap