Specialized Sport Saddle

NOS Specialized Sport Saddle. Direct replacement for any bicycle saddle. 270mm length, 150mm width, 335 gram weight.

WORM   Weekend Warrior [Feb 25, 2002]
Strength:

Very confortable, looks cool, and you can sit on it!

On the heavy side, cover doesn't like crashes. Probably won't last me very long

This seat was on a used bike that I bought. The first time I rode the bike for a good ride, was the first time my butt didn't hurt. And it's not too big and it's very affordable.
I'm starting to see thru the cover on both sides after a few crashes. Buy it and don't crash!!!

Similar Products Used: Yes!
Roger   Cross Country Rider [Feb 25, 2002]
Strength:

Does it's advertised job of protecting my tackle from numbness.
Comfort.
Inexpensive.

A little extra pressure on the sit bones.
Heavy.
Cover looks light weight, as if it will tear easily.

The saddle performs well and is comfortable, prevents numbness after rides. I've put in a couple of heavy going (British Winter) five hour rides since I've had this.

As mentioned the covering looks flimsy and the saddle is quite heavy, although as mentioned it is inexpensive.

An interesting thing to note is saddle positioning, I usualy position my saddle far back on the rails to extend my ride position so I am low and aggressive. I found that if I did this I lost the advantages of the Body Geometry. As a result I've got the seat a little further forward than normal.

I've found this saddle a little too wide in the rear end, this is to be expected as it comes in the sport class. The upshot of this is that during technical and fast descents when usually lent really far back, some control is lost as the legs are pushed farther apart, meaning some of the deft touch on the saddle with the thighs is lost.

For the price this saddle is excellent. I plan to uograde to either the pro or comp version to take advantage of lighter weight, slimmer profile and hardier materials (Kevlar in the pro version I think).

Similar Products Used: Generic saddles
Genital Apparatus   Weekend Warrior [Feb 21, 2004]
Strength:

It looks nice and it's narrow so it doesn't get in my way.

Cheap pleather got ripped after one week. Could be more colourful, I guess.

I don't bother too much with saddles, so long as the one I use doesn't get in my way (trials involves lots of standing up). This saddle is comfortable enough for when I am sitting down, plus it looks kinda cool. Everyone thinks the little groove at the back end is for "releasing gas" (it doesn't do much else).

Similar Products Used: WTB (hard like a rock).
Mike Croker   Cross Country Rider [Oct 12, 2002]
Strength:

Didn't break, looks cool (if you like that sort of thing), has rubbing strips for wall parking, no numb nuts (but not suffered from any of my other saddles...)

Squeaked from time to time, featureless feel - block of foam on top of a stick

It worked in terms of comfort, but never felt that good....

Similar Products Used: WTB SST, Ritchey Vector Plus Rail, Trek (cheap basic one)
Rayin   Cross Country Rider [Sep 03, 2001]
Strength:

My equipment functions immediately after a ride.

Seat rails are a bit creaky but under a 6'4" 235lb rider riding with the seat back as far as possible I don't know to many saddles that wouldn't

My one complaint is more of a seatpost issue I can't fault the saddle too much for that. The printing wore off the kevlar panels on the sides. (Oh darn now Specialized won't get their free ad space on my bike.) I've ridden this seat for hours on end with no problems. So what if its heavier than a Selle San Marco who cares! If you're a racer boy forget it. If you want your "twigs and berries" to work and not have a seat shoved up yer bum this would be the one. Oh and to address the issue of the seat material tearing go to: http://recycledsaddles.net/ this guy will recover your saddle in whatever color you want for $16. He'll even embroider it for you for a little more. Now quit yer griping and buy this saddle!

Similar Products Used: Stock saddles a plenty, BG Comp, hard a$$ plastic BMX saddles, "Grandma" seats on cruiser bikes
Justin   [Dec 28, 2005]
Strength:

Isn't too ugly.

Not comfortable.

This seat came stock on my bike. I didn't notice how much it sucked for a couple of months. I bought a WTB Rocket V Race and i love it. DON'T BUY THIS.

Shaun   Weekend Warrior [May 19, 2000]
Strength:

Low cost. Soft, but not too soft. Comfortable.

High cost? $40 for a saddle isn't much, but if you don't need it, then its $40 too much.

The hardrock is famous for being named for its seat, a hard rock. I was looking for some cheap replacement seat with a different type of padding than the hardrock since the hardrock's padding clearly did no good. The BG Sport MTB seat was $39 at my local bike shop, so just for kicks I picked one up.

Make a note... the BGS Sport and BG Sport MTB are two different seats. The MTB is smaller, with "a shorter nose for a more upright position" and is more rugged material.

Installation is just the same for any other seat in the universe. 6mm key removes the seatpost retainer clamp, snap the new seat in place, adjust, tighten. Takes you 2 minutes.

Initial riding impressions were poor. I'm a new biker and, to be blunt, my behind has been getting REALLY sore on longer (road) rides. This didn't immediately cure that problem, and thus I was disappointed. However, after my daily 6 mile ride, I hopped off the bike and noticed it wasn't as sore anymore. I'm chalking that up to the seat. I've gotten some more saddle time on it since then, and although the initial soreness is there, it doesn't get worse or last as long as it used to. Must be doing something right.

The bottom line is that the seat is not the only solution in the world. Its not day and night. Its not the answer to all your problems. It is, however, a darn good solution. Had I to do it over again, the only difference I'd make is probably buying the Sport (non MTB) saddle since its just a little more comfortable for road use, and sadly thats where the most of my time is spent. However, i'm not going to return it and exchange it, even though I can, so make of that what you will.

Excelent value, great seat. You can't go wrong with it.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hardrock stock seat.
kyle c   Weekend Warrior [Dec 26, 2000]
Strength:

keeps your lovin' bits from going numb..highly comfortable, and very forgiveable on hidden potholes

cheap covering..rips very easily
looks wierd (but works like a charm)

this bike is totally worth the $40 canadian i spent on it, and has become the gift that keeps on giving. on a standard saddle, after 20 mins, "the pain" would start to settle in making it hard to ride sitting down. Now, hours and hours of riding can't even make my man parts numb. Other than the cheezy vinyl covering that tears with no problem, this thing is grrrreeeeaat!

Similar Products Used: none
Chad   Weekend Warrior [May 29, 2000]
Strength:

Comfy, price

None so far

I had the typical sore/numb feeling after a couple hours on my old saddle. I usually couldn't ride 2 days in a row because of it. I had pretty much already decided on this saddle because of it's rep, but I checked the reviews on mtbr.com and made the final decision. Popular saddle, so the lbs had plenty. First ride was yesterday, and it made a world of difference. No soreness at all. The "odd" design feels strange when you first sit on it, but you kind of think "oh, yeah. I can feel why this might work." I'm 5'11" and weigh 200 lbs, and this seat is perfect for me, again, initial reaction. Going riding today...2nd day in a row...cuz now I can. I'm giving it an initial 5 Blazin' Chilis, but I'll be back after a few hundred miles once it's broken in and post another review.