Specialized Rival SL Saddle Saddle

• Patented Body Geometry design
  • Abrasion resistant shoulder panels

[Aug 18, 2010]
ziggler

Strength:

Comfort, weight, durability

None so far

For my little butt this thing has been amazing. Combined with my Pearl Izumi shorts and It's been so comfortable. I've used 2 of these saddles. One on the Kona I sold a year ago and one on my Iron Horse. I will buy another. I have not had any problems with the rails or the cover ripping. It has performed flawlessly.

WTB Pure V, Laser, Silverado

[Mar 22, 2010]
donluigi

Strength:

As comfy as any Rival

Rails broken in 5 months, Specialized customer services keep my money and I keep this broken piece of ...

Comfy saddle, over-weight but...
Awful quality, awful customer service. Specialized saddles never again.

Rival, Phenom,Fizzick, WTB, Selle Italia...

[May 30, 2009]
Michal

Strength:

only looks

its a saddle but you simply cant sit on it for more then 10 minutes

This is a pricy high end specialized saddle. It looks good and when you touch it, it feels comfy. But when you start to use it... it’s a disaster... I've been riding mountain bikes for over 17 years now, started with a fully rigid bike with cantilever brakes and my ass has never been hurt so much ! This saddled feels like its hard as a rock after a while, more its even feels like its want to hurt you on purpose. I tried different setting and ridden it in every possible terrain / situation in the past 3 weeks. I have just finished another ride and I'm getting this POS of my bike. Yet another very poor designed product from specialized :(

many saddles, recently fizik nisene

[Mar 18, 2009]
beeglemania

Strength:

Super comfortable, light

WEAK RAILS!

I've had the steel rail version of this saddle for 5 years and have even bent a seat post while it was mounted. The rails never bent and its still in decent shape. I got the Ti version now and in less than a dozen rides the rails bent after a jump. I'm going back to steel.

Specialized Rival w/ Chromo Rails

[Dec 02, 2008]
danlorek

Strength:

Great looks, very comfortable for me due to width being spot on for the 143

rails bend and come out of rear mount hole

On the second ride of my first rival, one of the rails popped out of the back hole and i could not get it back in. speesh warrantied this as they should. last weekend on the replacement, the rail came out again at gooseberry. saddle is back at shop, i'm sure they'll take care of it but i've requested a different comparable saddle as i feel the design is flawed. they should have deeper holes for the rails to mount into so they cannot pop out. expect this saddle to fail.

wtb, alias

[Jun 20, 2008]
tlg4276

Strength:

Saddle is well designed and comfortable. Good for all day epic rides.

Snapped the left rail on a non-technical trail.

I love this saddle however this is now the 3rd Specialized Saddle I have broke or have bent the rails on. This may be do to me being classified as a clydsdale and weight a little over 200.

Terry, Fizik, Brooks, and others.

[Apr 05, 2006]
Dan0

Strength:

looks good

hard seat, weak rails

I really wanted to like this seat but the pan extends beyond the padding and pressed on a nerve in my leg, after a 3 hr ride my thigh hurts for 3-4 days. also the titanium rails bent. I am somewhat heavy 217 lbs. but no jumps or drops just cross country riding and the rails bend?

wtb rocket, wtb sst98, wtb pure stealth, terry fly

[Sep 08, 2007]
Steve

Strength:

LIght.

foam padding that loses resiliency after one hour, seat "wings" rub inside of thighs

Me: 155 Lb, 6'1" cross country rider.
The Product: This saddle is a major disappointment, especially as an offering from Specialized. I generally like Specialized products, but this product is incredibly poor. The first impression on the first ride was that the seat felt hard after an hour and the side "wings" on the saddle rubbed the inside of my thighs uncomfortably. All in the name of ergonomics, I thought. After several more ~2 hour rides, I discovered the foam was so broken down that you could push your thumb into the where your sit bones rest, and it felt like plastic--less than 1/8" of give, and very little flex in the saddle body. After a couple 8 hour rides and trying to get used to it, I was more sore than I've ever been after any ride. And the rubbing of the wings never went away, either, causing serious chafing on those long rides. Maybe the shape is a personal preference thing, but I've ridden on numerous saddles the past 15 years, and none has ever been this uncomfortable. Even if shape is a personal preference, the foam was so poor I would deem this saddle unacceptable on that factor alone. Questioning my sanity, I put a WTB Pure V saddle on the bike--very similar weight and shape--and did (OK, attempted) a 100 mile race, and it exhibited none of the problems of the specialized saddle. I highly recommend the WTB Pure V instead of this saddle. If nothing else, the foam is much higher quality and does not break down after an hour.

WTB Rocket V Stealth, WTB Pure V, others

[Mar 26, 2006]
luis

Strength:

Its light , 235 gr declared , but really stiff and very very confortable , of course its a body geometry saddle.

a little bit high perfil saddle . Must to download the seatpost if you come from a more racing saddle like toupe or slr.

I come from the toupe specialized saddle , that its very confortable , but for road , if you try to use in mtb for more than 2 h your parts become to be really hot , with rival sl , i spend the first day 3 and half hour on the bike without any kind of inconvenience . Very recomended this saddle

selle italia SLR , flite titanium , specialized toupe

[Feb 22, 2008]
Josh Hollman

Strength:

Body geometry?

Saddle frame is hard, padding becomes very thin in contact with the base of the saddle

This saddle becomes thin padded when your bones makes the most pressure. This areas should be the most confortable with a thicker padding yet it becomes deformed and you can feel the saddle frame hard on your pelvic bones.

This kind of 'memory' padding works well for pillows, not for saddles.

When its fully depressed, you can feel how hard it is on your bones.

I've dropped this saddle and replaced with my stock bontrager.

Vetta/Selle Italia