Specialized Pro Ti Saddle

Pro Ti

Specialized Body Geometry Sport Ti Saddle

kevin   Racer [Jul 03, 2002]
Strength:

extremely comfortable

extremely UNcomfortable until it is broken in

wasn't sure about this saddle after the first couple rides because this thing takes a few long rides to break in and damn is it painful until then. BUT after a 50 mile or so break in period it is very comfortable. it dosen't stick to your legs or rub wear spots on your lycra either. if you watch ebay i've seen these things sell for under forty dollars consistantly.

Similar Products Used: selle italia's and cheap crap
Scott   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2002]
Strength:

Incredibly comfortable.

List price is insulting, especially compared to other top-name Italian ti models

At first glance, the Comp would seem to have more cons than pros: cheap construction, not especially light, and ridiculously expensive. I wouldn’t ride anything else. I bought my first one for $90, and almost fainted from sticker shock--almost twice what you’d pay for a high-class titanium Italian saddle. It felt hard at first (and still does), but what I noticed was what I didn’t feel: Most of my rides involve long uphills, and I found that I could sit and crank for hours. Unlike most other saddles, there is nothing to stick in your crotch. Gel saddles? What’s the point?
I don’t want anything sticking in my crotch--I don’t care if it is gel.

I like the saddle so much that I bought the only thing left in the area from 2001, which was the same saddle with ti rails. (I only bought it because the shop came down from an insulting $140 list to a merely ludicrous $80. I wouldn’t waste the money for a full-price ti saddle. Compared side-by-side, it doesn’t feel one bit lighter).

I did try the 2002 comp saddle, which is beautifully made, but it felt more conventional to me, and wasn’t as comfortable as the 2001.

Although highly overpriced, cheaply constructed, and with rather cheesy styling
(especially the tacky looking chrome on the Pro Ti), these saddle have transformed my bike from a $2000 medieval torture device to something I actually want to ride.

bill   Cross Country Rider [Oct 16, 2003]
Strength:

Comfort! When I first sat on it I was very disapointed. By the time I finished my first long ride with it, I was amazed at good it felt. weight, This thing is more comfortable than comfort saddles that weigh 2-3 times as much. Sure you can find something lighter, but it may be unridable for anything but races, they have nowhere near the comfort. Durable

Would I pay retail for it? I don't like paying retail on anything so the answer is No! I would be willing to pay twice what I did and be happy.

Similar Products Used: wtb's, serfas, coda(never buy Anything that has coda on it,c'dale makes great frames and shocks,everything else is garbage or at best grossly overpriced) others
Michael   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 19, 1999]
Strength:

Wow, I'm not numb any more.
Light weight

$150????? And the saddle looks like it was made for a custom low rider bike. What's with the tacky chrome?Also, without Kevlar edges, I think this saddle is going to be considered disposable

OK, I'm going to be a sexist pig for one minute. With this saddle, I can check out the buff babes on the trail, and, well, know that everything works. But seriously, I really love this saddle for comfort. I think I could sit in this saddle for hours without worrying if I'm going to permanently lose feeling.BUT, I hate this saddle for a couple of serious problems...it is truly for roadies and it looks cheap. What's with the chrome for chrissakes??? I think Specialized is nuts with this tacky, cheap look.While I put on the road miles or jeep trail, I will have to ignore the looks, and just dwell in the comfort.I'm giving this product 3 flamers, deducting one flame for excessive price (relative the cheesy quality) and one flame because of it's looks. I should deduct one additional flame for the fact that it's a roadie saddle, but since I ride on the road, I'm all right with it.

Similar Products Used: Selle Italia Flite
Paul   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 02, 1999]
Strength:

The saddle really works! It is comfortable and quite functional so that you can be as well.

It is pricey, (I got mine for 30% off), and a little tacky looking. It's not as light as it could be for those who are weight conscious.

I have had NO quality problems with this seat and I probably put about 20 to 25 hours on it. It works and is comfortable. I have had no problems getting behind it for drops and big descents. I'm going to keep my lightweight Bontrager San Selle Marcos around in case I do have problems with the Specialized, but the Specialized will be my seat of choice. The only two MINOR complaints I have are that: 1. It isn't as light as my Bontrager (210 Grams), It weights in around 250 grams. 2. It does look a little tacky with the chrome effect, I'm into performance, not glitz. Other than that, I'm sold on the idea and performance of this saddle.

Similar Products Used: Terry Liberator Ti (Men's), Bontrager Ti Selle San Marcos
matt   Cross Country Rider [Apr 03, 2001]
Strength:

pretty light for the design, easy on the soft tissue down there.... and its pretty durable

still not that light, and there is a little break in period for your body

this is a great and comfortable saddle. it lasts well, mine's had alot of use that has smoothed the saddle down, but there are no signs of weakness anywhere from it. most of the reviewers have complained of the uncomfortable feeling one has when using it, yet they must have not rode it for more than a couple of times. the seat forces all of your weight on the underside of your pelvis, not on the fragile and very important soft tissue. this reduced area makes the amount of pressure much higher since it isn't dispersed like most seats. and the points of pressure, while they are the ideal place for your weight to sit, are pretty uncomfortable for a little while. once your body gets used to this, the seat is no longer uncomfortable at all, in fact it becomes the most comfortable seat i've ever used. especially for longer rides when one has to fear numbness and damage to their manly parts over the extended period of blood shortage.

Sara Goss   Weekend Warrior [Apr 02, 2001]
Strength:

This seat has Ti rails!!!!!!!

Saddle feels sore (on the a..) when put on.

This 2000 saddle feels awkward when ridden, but it was installed only a week ago. The installation process took most of the weekend of trial and error sessions. It took as many as 20 tries to clamp the seat correctly on my two-bolt (front and back) seat post. Once 'normally' mounted, the seat does not sit horizontal to the ground.-- (basement floor). After several trials at this installation process, it was obvious that the seat's nose actually points up ward, in a slight angle. On Sunday, my brain kicked in and I stuck small (faucet) rubber washers (1) under the seat clamp- between the seatpost base, and the clamp's base. Thereby in an effort to produce a miniscule vibration dampening effect. (My bf helped me after he installed his own) The position of the washers on the seatpost base, the seat can be angled correctly to a desirable position. Otherwise, the seat is comfy but hard on the a.s-bones, and a.s in particular. This situation should improve once the seat gets used to my a.s behind sat onto it. By the summer, I suppose. Otherwise, my bf bought one too, and tense (United Nations level negotiations with the student salesperson warrented a discounted price, which was necessary when considering the whopping price of the saddle.) The pressure points on the human anatomy are eased and it was proven that post ride (in the bed room) celebrations were successful were wide and 'once in a lifetime do you feel this good', 'winning the jackpot sensation', 'party whistles, and all' kind of joy.
You get the point. Feel it for yourself when this saddle is under your delicate a.s. I'll keep you up to date on the saddle. Ride and have fun!!

Scott   Racer [Feb 27, 2001]
Strength:

Fairly lightweight; length allows for easy movement; great looking Festina Pro model

Price - I bought from a good friend at a local shop at wholesale-the retail price of $130.00 is crazy; narrow profile in rear of saddle does not support sit bones, and causes chafing--I wear top-quality shorts, and use chamois creme-it's the saddle; grooved channel should extend the length of the saddle ; raised stiching may also be part of the problem

Do not buy this saddle unless you have no ass; I'm a 160 lb. roadie, by no means a Clydesdale, but I cannot get comfortable on this saddle; a friend of mine has the San Marco Era, and is very satisfied with it so I've ordered one to replace the Festina Pro model I have now.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Body Geometry Comp; San Marco Race Day Strada
Chris   Weekend Warrior [Nov 05, 2000]
Strength:

Ti rails, feels great after the wearing in

not strong enough, the plastic bits seem like their falling apart

This seat seems fine for ordinary XC and urban assaulting. However dont go to extremes. I was at the skate park and apparently did a 6 foot high jump and bent the seat. I weigh 175lbs. It's also rather expensive