Specialized Phenom SL Saddle

• Patented Body Geometry design
  • Carbon reinforced shell
  • Flush mounted scuff guards
  • Lightweight hollow titanium rail
  • Ultralight tuned density foam padding
  • Tough, light and water-resistant Micromatrix cover
  • Length 270mm

Horacek   Weekend Warrior [Sep 18, 2014]
Strength:

Light, clean lines and does it what its supposed to.

Price if buy RRP. I paid 50% as the white saddle/version was on sale. Black was fullprice.

The reviewers below need to be more subjective. Firstly, saddles by their nature ARE highly subjective. Every great saddle wont suit everyone. So productwise its unlike say a stem or seatpost. For instance I bought a Fizik expecting it to be as a reviewer said- I didn't like its hammock feel at all. Thats me. Its not a bad product.

Secondly you NEED To get your sitbones measured and then buy the correct width saddle. Fundamentally if you say a saddle was uncomfortable- ask yourself why? Basics.

Finally, buy the saddle for what you need it for - if you say you do drops, mountain biking etc- is this saddle really the correct product? At best its a XC saddle. I bought a 155mm Phenom primarily for my roadbike. Its on my mountain bike at the moment as I like it so much.

I'd also like to add on some saddles there is a breakin period to consider. So you need to give them time. As soon as I fitted though I couldn't feel the pressure on my bits etc. So love it!

Similar Products Used: Charge Spoon, WTB, Fizik etc.
Jaybo   [Feb 01, 2013]
Strength:

Butt hatchet that hurt me on every ride.

I hate this saddle but other love it. Go figure.

Lucky   [May 11, 2012]
Strength:

Refer to above reviews. lightweight, sleek look etc. etc.

comfort for the everyday MTBr

Looking at the reviews it seems like AC/BC and I are the only ones with this issue (on this site...) To me this means geometry plays a big role in deciding to buy this saddle - watch out!

Got the saddle with my bike. Could live past the comfy issue but the rear width causes pressure in the area where hamstrings is joined to the "sit-bone" ie. cuts of blood-flow to hamstrings and causing them to cramp - this happened for me after only 5-8kms.

ClayP   Cross Country Rider [Jan 04, 2012]
Strength:

lightweight, good geometry, side protection

so-so comfort

This is a minimalist saddle that gives good support. I bought a used one to try and it is ok. Not super comfy but very light and does what it should

Similar Products Used: Flite, SDG Formula FXR, San Marco Aspide
Jazzist   Racer [Jan 04, 2012]
Strength:

Talking about the 2011 version here.
Available in different sizes. Switched to it just before a 3-day marathon race on my Hardtail, without trying it before. Kind of stupid idea, but well, at least I have identified the right size for me.
It is just great! Had no problems whatsoever. Also for going behind the saddle the shape is ok. It is not too long or wide (especially compared to the in this regard awfull sqlab 611 active).

Weight could be less.

Find out the right size and you have a comfortable saddle for long rides with enough room for difficult downhills.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Format, Selle Italia X0, SQlab 611 Active, Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow,...
ehigh   Weekend Warrior [May 18, 2011]
Strength:

Light, low profile, and the structure is slightly flexible. The seat doesn't get in the way while riding, like some of mine have in the past. Managed to get it for the price the bike shop pays for it, so that worked out rather well for me. Costs other people there $100

I don't experience any. I probably would get a seat with more cushion on it if I had a hard tail; but fortunately I've got plenty rear suspension.

I love this seat. It is exactly what I wanted. I realize that when dealing with a full suspension bike that has 160 mm of front and rear suspension that the seat is not going to brake or save my balls. It doesn't give my any trouble and doesn't rub on me uncomfortably. I'm 6'3" and about 165 pounds; I realize not all seats work for everyone but this one is great. There is not a bunch of unnecessary cushion. I might think twice about getting this seat if I had a hard tail, but fortunately (in my opinion) I do not have one.

On a side note, there should be more types of cyclists to pick from. I am ride 4-5 times a week, but I'm not a downhiller, racer, cross country rider... I just do all mountain/free-ride/enduro. Oh well.

Similar Products Used: I've only had stock seats.
Major Glory   Cross Country Rider [May 17, 2010]
Strength:

light weight, looks good in black or white, cut away middle adds to comfort. not the most padding but thats a strength not a weakness for me. make sure you get the proper width

it doesnt come in other colors ?

Best saddle I've used. Get one, you wont be disappointed.

Similar Products Used: WTB
mcmurv   Racer [Apr 05, 2010]
Strength:

Light, sturdy, good looking.

Hurts my ars.

AC / BC said it best. If you are XC racer, this would be a great saddle for you. I am an ultra endurance racer, so sitting on this saddle for 6+ hours is painful. However, it does encourage one to jump out of the saddle and dance on the pedals. Over the last few months, it has really helped my out of the saddle climbing.

Similar Products Used: none
FreddyMac   Cross Country Rider [Dec 07, 2009]
Strength:

COMFY! Comfy! Comfy! Well made, light weight

Um... Looks like wedgie waiting to happen...

Disclaimer:
I know that saddles are a very personal item, and no two bodies are made the same, so even great saddles will not work the same or be as comfortable for everyone.
Like others here, I was very skeptical of this saddle, but I could not find another of my beloved WTB saddle anywhere. At first glance, I thought that I had seen pizza boxes that would be sturdier (and probably more comfy too). But my LBS guy swore by it and I know that he rides 15-20 miles a day- almost every day. Plus, it came with a 30 day money back guarantee. So I figured that I would try it out and then when I hated it, I would just return it and I could at least ride and have 30 days to track down another WTB. Boy was I surprised! It was love at first sit. This saddle is soooooo comfy. All day rides in the saddle or a quick trip around the block, this thing just performs.