Serfas Saddle Saddle

Serfas Saddle Saddle

Serfas Saddle

[Jul 15, 2008]
whydied

Strength:

Looks
Snappy stitching
Weight
Pyshological sense of value out the door

Uncomfortable
Fragile
Bad Adhesive

Well when I was in college I worked as a bike mechanic at this hole-in-the-wall cycle shop owned by an ex-drummer from some semi-famous local Chicago rock band or something. The guy wasn't always able to get me my paycheck on time so I used to help myself to some items amongst the stacks and stacks of random stuff in the back storage room. I nabbed this seat, and thought it looked pretty p1mp1n with that fancy stitching all over it and the Ti rails. Plus, it was pretty light. Too bad a canvas bag filled with broken glass would be more comfortable to sit on than this seat. Okay clearly it isn't that bad, but it always felt lumpy and hard in all the wrong places. Perhaps individual ass-bones are like snowflakes, no two are ever the same, and likewise this seat is comfortable to some and miserable to others. In any case I guess I've owned, and used, this seat for about 8 years. Even though it was uncomfortable and has probably made me sterile, I stuck with it. This afternoon one of the seat rails broke. It snapped right behind where it enters the post clamp. So RIP my faithful crude seat with the fancy stitched lettering.

Guess it is time to get one of these WTB seats everyone seams to rave about.

I rate this seat a 4 for value, because I think that if I had actually payed a cent for it, I would have been happy with all the features it sported visually, and despite being torture to sit on at times, I excuse that somewhat due to the probability of anatomical bias.

Overall I rate it a 3 because long term this was a seat that simply did not wear well with time. Rather than develop an aged look with some character, it just kinda started coming apart and breaking down. I probably have too high a pain threshold and am too tolerant. I'd guess most people would have tossed this seat after a year at most. For some reason I kept using it until its structural integrity was completely terminated. Who knows why?

Another Serfas Kevlar seat that was as skinny as a thong, A Specialized perforated leather seat, Other various seats that remain nameless

[Feb 10, 2002]
Marty

Strength:

economical, works fine once broken in, light for the price

took a while to break in right..

super deal.. for the price.. cant go wrong.. be perfect for a racer on a budget who want light weight parts.. but cant afford much... this puppy saved bout a quater pound off my old shred up seat... still just like new 2 years of hard use later..

lost count!

[Nov 13, 1998]
harvey
weekend warrior

I got a dual density, all kevlar, ARC saddle from Bike World and I have been riding for about a year. So far, the seat is indestructable. From falling and turning my bike upside for quick maintenance, the saddle has survivied and even the embroidery is still intact. Alittle narrow, but the dual density does it job, and it's pretty light weight. I give it 5 chilli's.

[Dec 27, 1999]
BoneDigger

Strength:

moderately light
looks really good
comfortable

none so far

I have only been using this saddle for a few weeks but have been very pleased with its comfort and durability. Also, it looks awesome. The old Bontrager saddle I had on my bike used to hurt really bad after an hour on the bike. This one is much better. So far, this has been a really good saddle.

Bontrager saddle
Specialized BodyGeometry

[Sep 18, 1998]
Robert
racer

Bought a Arc duel density with Ti rails and kevlar cover. A few months later I was busting my A tring to get up a steep hill when one of the rails poped out. I got a good waranty and decided to get the density pro hopeing that the yellow leather would not stain as much. But it just faded with time. All of the stiched letters also wore off and after a year it is getting pretty uncomfortable. For one years use I would give it 4 chillies but now only 2 so I will be fair and give 3.

[Mar 31, 1998]
Dave
weekend warrior

Dont buy this saddle. I got one about 3 weeks ago and my butt has not figiven me since! The nose is too narrow and pointed. The tip goes up where it shouldn't if you move only slightly foreward, as in a climb. The nose is not slopped downward like on a Berserker or a WTB SST (a must if you ride a fully and stay seated on most climbs). Stick to something with more meat, like the others I mentioned.

[Mar 21, 1998]
Rui Brito
cross-country rider

SERFAS ARC Kevlar, Ti rails:
I just love this seat ´cause :
- After non-stop begging my riding buddy Alberto offered it to me when he returned from one of his trips to the US - he then bought a Flite over here;
- It´s blue looks great on my yellow Marin Team;
- It´s way more confortable than my previous 4-year old Vetta SL ti;
- It became even more comfy since i performed a little surgical operation
(a longitudinal cut along the plastic undershell);
- It seems to be undestructible (6-months of almost every-day riding and it´s
still shining new - i use a roadie-type seat cover on wet rides).I just love it a little less because it´s just not as comfortable (and light) as my other bike´s seat - a 3-year Vetta TriShock Vanadium; this Vetta one is much better on very long rides (more padding).Anyway, the SERFAS still rates very high (price, looks, durability). Infortunately it doesn´t seem to have crossed the Atlantic over to Europe, or at least to this country of mine (Portugal), which means that i am probably the only proud owner of one in the entire country (envy !! envy !!) ...

[Jul 25, 1997]
Bryan
racer

This thing is like a couch compared to my SDG. My butt is my friend again. Ti rails, real leather, and kevlar for $70. How can you go wrong?

[Jul 26, 1997]
Paul
cross-country rider

Extreme comfort and high performance. Bang for the buck.

[Jul 19, 1997]
David Poon
weekend warrior

I've replaced my stock Selle San Marco Strada Hi-Pro saddle with the Serfas Dual Density Tailbones and the difference in comfort in unreal! Previously, I will have a sore butt after a long ride, but having installed the Tailbones, my trail and road ride is now as smooth as silk. I highly recommend this inexpensive seat as replacement to stock hard rock saddles that come with most bikes.