Selle Italia Yutaak Saddle

Yutaak

Selle Italia Yutaak ATB Saddle. Vibram rubber inserts with cushioning effect on rear. Non-slip covering and strengthened sidetabs: total control on every type of rough terrain. Resulting from exclusive Selle Italia - Vibram synergy, Yutaak is the new-c

rgretchen   Weekend Warrior [Aug 25, 2009]
Strength:

- comfortable
- durable cover

- broke two of them.

Can't really recommend this saddle. It is rated for abusive MTB riding but I cracked two shells in rapid succession doing fairly mellow AM type rides... spend your bucks elsewhere.

Ben Lennon   Weekend Warrior [Jul 27, 2009]
Strength:

The Vibram back and sides along with kevlar top make this saddle a great choice for the all-mountain rider who is still a little worried about weight. I loved this saddle because it reminded me of an old SDG kevlar saddle I had years ago that I rode forever. Same style material and same great feel.

In the first 3 months having the saddle I took a slide on a wet bridge. I bounced hard but my Bike seemed fine. Got up and finished the ride with no issues until I got back to the truck. Then I noticed that the rear vibram pannel was toast. Cracked halfway across the back edge of the saddle. Well it made it almost a full year like that until 2 days ago i finished it off on a ride. The whole rear section finally broke but I will be buying another! 2 other points on this saddle it can be tough on long rides (over 4 hours) and the Vibram did catch on my shorts from time to time making it a pain in the ass to get back on the saddle.

Like I said I would be buying another. They work.

Similar Products Used: SDG kevlar, Selle Italia Flite
Peter Ryckaert   Cross Country Rider [Aug 22, 2007]
Strength:

Seat has a unique look to it which can be a plus or a minus. The rails are thick and the seat has extreme comfort (Gel version).

The fancy orange rubber areas are doomsday. The side tabs stick to your shorts and the part in the rear does the same. Too bad really. Should be cordura like the Gobi in those areas. I think if you are doing epic cross country without much technical terrain you would have comfort. The entire saddle fabric is a bit soft and I'm not sure that is good since that grabs a bit also. Both versions, I weighed them, are around 30g over the weight claim so beware.

It's off my bike. The Orbea had some orange bits so this saddle looked good but in the end ripped some bibs and just had me stuck at times. I found a Gobi with orange trim which is much more versatile and comfortable too. And lighter. If you are going to stay seated and need comfort this could work. If you are moving around the saddle try to test one first before laying out the big cash.

Similar Products Used: Fizik Gobi, Orbea lightweight cross country saddle, Specialized Rival.
Mace   Weekend Warrior [Dec 23, 2007]
Strength:

Quality Construction
Unique looks

Vibram Rubber interface
Over priced for sure

I'm not going to BS anybody on why I bought this saddle. I just thought it looked really cool and the previous Selle saddles that I've owned were good quality.
I ordered the saddle from Cambria, which is the first time that I have dealt with them. I buy a lot of components online and have spread my business around just to see who I could rely on. Well it took 6 weeks to get my order and when it arrived it was not the Gel Flo that I ordered but the straight Yutaak with no cutout. I would have sent it back, but I'm in Canada and did not want to go through the hassle.
OK, enough whinning. Let's talk about the saddle. There is no other saddle out there that looks like the Yutaak. That's
what I like about it the most. It really is built with exceptional quality like all Selle Products. It looks sick on my Heckler. I set it up and took off for a ride. The very first thing that I noticed was a pinching sensation on my butt. I shifted around on the saddle a bit and realized that the feeling was coming from the area where the Vibram rubber rear of the seat meets the seat fabric. I stopped and adjusted the seat position but got the same result. Imagine my dismay! I just paid a lot of money and waited 6 weeks for a seat that was eating into my kiester.
Now a first ride on a saddle is not always an indication of how it will feel when it gets broken in so I gave the Yutaak the benefit of the doubt. I did a few longer rides and the butt pinching issue was always there when I shifted to the rear of the saddle. I was ready to unbolt the Yutaak and add it to my pile of "great ideas" that I keep in my basement.
Then I purchased a new pair of Fox Racing Sargent baggie shorts. They proved to be the Yutaak's savior. The first ride that I went on with the new shorts amazed me. Where had the butt pincher gone? I realized right away that my old shorts (a pair of 3 years old Fox baggies) were probably worn out. I know what you're thinking, any saddle is comfortable if you put a pillow on it. I'm not saying that the Yutaak suddenly became my favorite saddle. What I am saying is that it is still on my bike.
I have not experienced any issues with the Vibram "side wings" grabbing my shorts. They actually function pretty well when you press your inner thighs into a turn. The rear Vibram rubber has saved the saddle a couple of times when I dumped the Heckler under duress.
Should you buy a Yutaak?. That's a personal choice. It's a pretty comfortable saddle that has a look like no other. It's not worth the price I paid for it but I suspect the price will go down. Selle is not going to move a lot of these units off the shelf. They are just too radical looking for the mass market. With that being said, I know that I am not the only biker out there who likes things that are a little different. There are hundreds of saddles out there to choose from. Unique looks aside, the Yutaak is probably in the upper half of that number.

Similar Products Used: I've had other Selle saddles but this is really a "unique design" so I can't compare