Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow Saddle

Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow Saddle: Gel Flow gel inserts under sit bones and around cutout. Soft tissue relief hole through center, leather top, carbon shell.

Rich   Cross Country Rider [Aug 10, 2012]
Strength:

So so so so super light

I felt like I was sitting on a rock

I endured this seat one ride and then switched it out for the comfortable WTB Rocket V. I couldn't believe how uncomfortable it was, even with the thick chamois I was wearing. That being said, I took it off the seat post and hefted both seats in my hand and WTB saddle felt twice as heavy. This seat is super light. I am going to sell it, make some $$$$ for new tires

Zachariah   Cross Country Rider [Oct 02, 2010]
Strength:

-Light, at 215g
-Center cutout offers taint relief
-Strong Vanox rails
-Gel is very firm at crotch area
-Leather cleans easily
-Downward curving nose helps climbing
-Made with Italian quality throughout

-Very small, minimalist saddle
-Scuffs easily

When it comes to MTB saddles - I have literally tried them ALL. My butt does not like anything made by Fizik...period. The Phenom SL was an amazing saddle, despite feeling like sitting on sculpted wood. I had remarkable luck with the original Selle SLR...so I went to the Gel Flow. The Gel Flow is good for 3+ hours in the saddle. It has strategically placed inserts ad they work in unison extremely well. However, my rump is nothing close to being meaty...so your mileage may vary. Get the fit perfectly dialed-in ad the saddle will be the last thing on your mind.

Similar Products Used: -Specialized Phenom SL
-M2 Racer Carbon
-AX Lightness
-Token SL Carbon
BeerBikeBerm   Cross Country Rider [Dec 08, 2009]
Strength:

Weight-to-comfort and weight-to-toughness ratios are favorable. Infact, this thing has many good ratios.

Ride long enough on any saddle and it will hurt...but this one is very impressive for it's minimalist profile and weight. It stays out of the way and rarely chafes the taint (only when I wear jeans).

The "ergonomic cutout" is a cool idea, but the same thing can be achieved with correct saddle shape.

Both of mine quickly developed clicking sounds, at first tricking me into thinking it was the bottom bracket, seatpost or chainring bolts. It's the rails. Nothing broken, but on bad days the sound wears on me.

The lower weight of the standard SLR is VERY tempting, but don't be lured away from this saddle by its shaved legs brother. The SLR Gel Flow is worlds better.

It USED to be possible to get them very cheap on clearance if you did not mind non-black saddles. I bought 2 of them, a yellow and blue, at that price thinking they would rip to shreds eventually. They have not. Still running strong on 2 different mountain bikes after nearly 3 years. The leather will rip a bit and wear on the edges but it won't all fall off suddenly like other saddles.

The only thing keeping these from a full 5 is the rail clicking, which conjures up images of the Vanox rails breaking and piercing the nutsack.

Similar Products Used: Selle Italia SLR, Selle Italia Flite, SDG Bel Air, WTB Rocket V SLT, WTB Laser V
Psycho Marco   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 2009]
Strength:

Looks, light, durable.

It´s supposed to be comfy, the gel is what it´s for... but it is comfy on the hard side

This is an AWESOME looking saddle!, I have it in red color and wow it just looks great. It is also very light, but if you expect a comfy saddle, this is not it.
I´m on the lightside, I weight about 145 lbs and after 4 or more hours sitting non stop (with almost no pauses) in here it gets pretty rough on my butt.
IMO it´s worth the investmet as no other saddle looks better than this one, but you have got to be aware that comfort is not one of it´s more appreciatted caracteristics.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager and Chumba saddle
BLURPILOT   Cross Country Rider [Mar 30, 2009]
Strength:

Lightweight, functional cutout, good shock absorption, comfortably supports my sitbones, padding/gel in all the right places. Italian craftsmanship-- great looking with excellent fit/finish. Saddle has excellent shape-- easy to move on and off without snagging shorts. Very comfortable in a lightweight, low-profile shell.

A bit pricey. But, Selle Italia saddles last forever.

Great saddle if it fits your bum. I've done 25-30 mile rides comfortably on this saddle.

Similar Products Used: WTB Rocket V and Pure SLT, Selle Italia Flite, Bontrager Selle San Marco
jobrienau   Cross Country Rider [Dec 01, 2008]
Strength:

Super light weight, great looking seat

Not sure yet, haven't found any

Wow, I wish I had just paid up and bought one of these years ago. I have tried all sorts of Gel lined cut away type seats and they never quite measure up. This seat is well designed and you can feel it. I think I lucked out on the size as it is best to get a seat fitted to you but this seat is perfect from 10 minute test rides to 6hr day trips. I weigh about 205lbs and about 6'2" and this seat is fantastic.

Similar Products Used: BBB cutout, Gel type OEM
Dave   Cross Country Rider [Mar 20, 2008]
Strength:

This review is for the SLR Gel XC Kevlar. Great saddle, light, comfy, enough shell flex to make up for little padding. The XC model has been durable for me.

Not a freeride product. It's been durable, but looking at it I know it could tear in a hard crash.
The scoop at the back limits the number of seating positions.

I've got 4000km on this saddle, and it has been hands-down my favorite ever. I'm 170lbs, average build, and I like dents / cutouts. Obviously, at 130mm wide and 220g 'comfy' is relative - bike shorts are mandatory. Saddle fit is very personal, so my 5 chili's is based on those factors. No annoying numbness, no thigh rub on the nose, no hotspots, not too padded, but just enough. I wouldn't suggest it for long road rides (not enough sitting positions, I prefer my SI Gel Flite), but hey, it's an XC saddle. The $200+ msrp here in Canada is more than anyone should have to pay for a saddle, but I got a good deal so I'll give it the value rating I received.

Similar Products Used: Lots of saddles, cheap and expensive. My other fav (for road) is SI Gel Flite.
Nick   Cross Country Rider [Mar 17, 2008]
Strength:

Comfy, strong.

None so far.

Have this on my MTB and road bikes. Has done 1000's of k's, has been crashed, has ridden through awful wet weather. Is worn looking, but still comfortable and hasn't broken yet.