Selle Italia Nitrox Saddle

Nitrox

This saddle features a decidedly aggressive look that is also extremely lightweight! The “Flex Control“ padding has been selectively proportioned in varying thickness to fit the demand of the aggressive cyclist.

rcousine   Cross Country Rider [Jun 16, 2010]
Strength:

Incredibly cheap, comfortable for me, pretty tough.

Saddle cover eventually wears out, only fits some people, probably only good for XC.

Saddles are incredibly personal: a friend has tried this same saddle, and cannot ride it. It's the most comfortable saddle I've tried, and I bought every one I could find locally (I have about five).

This probably is a cross-country-only saddle for MTBers, but I use it for road racing and cyclocross. It works fabulously well FOR ME, and since I paid about $5 on average for each of the saddles I bought, it gets the maximum value rating.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here, though: with the nice narrow profile, this may be the best saddle ever made for slipping off the back of your bike for steep descents.

Why only 4 Chilis Overall? Well, it fits _me_; it may or may not fit you. Second, the durability of the cover is only so-so. I do ride my stuff into the ground, but I wish the cover was less prone to ripping and pulling away from its staples.

But I'd buy this saddle again and again. If I ever see another one for sale, I'll buy it. If you have one, please sell it to me :).

Similar Products Used: Avocet R1, many others
Matt   Cross Country Rider [Mar 03, 2004]
Strength:

light weight, narrow rear, flexy base, gel strip

too-narrow nose, a bit wide at the rear

I love this saddle. It took a little bit of breaking in, but it was worth it. On really intense trails I'd probably swap it out for my Bonty FS 2000 which has a lot more cushioning and shock absorption, but I swear the Bonty is a noticeable half-pound heavier.

The rear of the saddle is good and narrow for getting off the back on descents, but I've got about the narrowest hips known to man, and it's still a bit wide. The only saddle I've ever used that fit me perfectly was the '99 Bonty FS, but that bike was stolen. Basically, the smaller your butt is, the better this saddle will work for you. And the gel strip definitely makes a difference on long, steep climbs. It's the second-best saddle I've ever had.

Similar Products Used: '99 Bontrager FS, '02 Bontrager FS 2000, Bontrager C-20, Airborne ti
Erez   [Sep 13, 2005]
Strength:

light weight, cool design, low price

too hard

i bought this saddle to replace the very old selle italia saddle i had on my old bianchi. this saddle is not too bad, however if im biking more then 60 km its starting to get painfull in the perineal area. if you want saddle that looks cool for short rides - this is the one for you. if you like long rides - stay away from this one and invest in a better model of selle italia or fizik.

Ian   Weekend Warrior [May 19, 2006]
Strength:

None.

* Pinches.
* Causes alternating bouts of numbness and pain.
* Poor durability.
* Poor adjustability.
* Surprisingly heavy weight, given its plasticky hardness.
* Finish/logo wears off (maybe they don't want us to know whom to blame?).
* Stupid name.

I'm only 145 pounds; there's no way a lightweight like me should be able to put enough pressure on a saddle to pinch my "goodies." And yet it happens after an astonishingly short time in the saddle.

This saddle came with the bike, and I tried to give it a fair shake. But it's coming off and joining the kitty litter in my trash can soon. On second thought, that's too good a fate for it.

Do yourself a favor: glue some thumbtacks to a sawed-off piece of two-by-four, and wrap some sandpaper around it. You could hardly do worse than Selle Italia did on this saddle!

mike   Downhiller [Apr 12, 2004]
Strength:

very light weight, slim, nice rails, cheap

hard for freeriding

if you need a saddle to lightn up your heavy bike, put on one of these bad boys

Similar Products Used: WTB, funn
Magnus J   Cross Country Rider [May 30, 2001]
Strength:

Works and are comfy

On the heavy side.

Wouldent by one but it came with the bike and does the job and looks cool.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager ti, Bontrager Carboni, Flite SLR.
kevin   Weekend Warrior [May 21, 2001]
Strength:

Tough construction
Real leather
Kevlar protection on the corners
magnesium rails
price!!
light weight (i used to know how many grams, but i forgot)
pretty comfortable considering the weight

Takes a loooonng time to break in

I had this saddle practically given to me by my LBS. I have the one with the magnesium rails. I have no real complaints with this saddle - if somebody wants real 'comfort', then you usually gotta accept the extra weight. I was looking for light weightness, and I found it here. When I ride my bike, I try not to sit with my ENTIRE body weight on the saddle anyway - I try to use my legs a bit.
I sent in this review because I wanted the rating ###'s to better reflect what I consider to be this products fine quality.
This saddle is also cool to look at!!!

Similar Products Used: usual mundane crap
Chris   [Oct 11, 2000]
Strength:

-cheap
-strong
-comfortable

-none

This saddle is simply the best for it's price. Wouldn't consider 'upgrading' ever. If you are having problems with your saddle, go out and give this one a try. For 15 bucks you can't go wrong!

Similar Products Used: -haven't had to try anything different
Devian Gilbert   Racer [Jun 08, 2000]
Strength:

This saddle is slim and has a good amount of flex to it which helps to absorb some shock. I've used this saddle for over 1.5 years now & recentl raced it in a 24hr SOLO MTB race. It gave me no grief. In fact this saddle is starting to finally wear out a bit & I am going to replace it with the same saddle. I'd even consider using it on my road bikes.

NONE