Selle Italia Max Flite Saddle

Max Flite

SELLE ITALIA's MAX FLITE uses a suspension that gives all-over cushioning without any moving mechanical parts. The front of the saddle features a combination of “Active Suspension” and “shock absorber”. Inserting the rail into a “wing” located on each side creates suspension in the rear of the MAX FLITE. Also available is the MAX FLITE TRANS AM with extra padding and “Specific Soft Tissue Relief” design that reduces pressure in the soft tissue area.

Robert Fehse   Cross Country Rider [Aug 30, 2003]
Strength:

good quality, stiff, durable, great leather
i am 205lbs and it held up good for me even afer hard hits

It is very hard after a while and makes noise if you move on it

Its a good saddle but its more at home on the road, its too hard to ride off road.
buy it for the road or if you have a real soft fsb

Similar Products Used: vette ti selle flite ti
Rex Paladin   Weekend Warrior [Jun 02, 2007]
Strength:

beautiful construction, its italian and comes in red, its fairly comfy, its a comfort saddle that doesn't look like a "cruiser saddle", oh and did I mention it comes in red...

its just "fairly" comfy, it has a fairly high suggested retail price of over $129.99 but I imagine you can always find it for less as I did...

Ok I admit it, my main draw to this saddle was that it came in bright red. I was obsessed with sticking as close as possible to the "red" theme on my Homegrown build. It also helped that this seat was billed as a comfort seat for larger riders as I am currently pegging the scale at 215#. The gell cushioning seems to fall directly under my sit bones while the cutout serves its intended purpose well. The seat does flex well which helps provide a good buffer between my butt and the bumps. All in all I am happy with my selection and it really looks beautiful on my red bike as I get stares and compliments everytime I ride. If your a big guy and want a beautiful comfortable saddle that is easy on your but give the Max Flite a go. I give 4 (red) chillies for value based upon its fairly high suggested retail price (even though you can always find it for less). I give 4 (red) chillies for overall rating since it met my needs well but most would probably be less obsessed with the asthetics of the saddle than I was.

Similar Products Used: a cheapo original equipment Schwinn seat made of faux cast iron that I got off ebay just to get my bike on the road...after several hundred miles on that, anything was an improvement.
Kurt   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 30, 1999]
Strength:

Lightish

Doesn't absorb much shock

I've tried many different saddles for long road rides and they have performaed as follows.1. Flite, the tried the true and actually the last (and best) one I've tried. I'm staying with Flite's for a long time
2. San Marco Ti, bought a beat up one for $5, it's a reat seat.
3. Vetta Lite, many many mile on this one. It rates as an OK.
4. Flite Max. It didn't hold up to any of my expectations. Seemed even rougher than the Vetta lite.
5. Turbomatic, this one only lasted a couple of rides. We simply did not agree.

Similar Products Used: Flite, San Marco Ti, Vetta Lite, Turbomatic
John   Racer [Apr 02, 2001]
Strength:

Weight

So painful!

Ouch! I didn't know how badly I was suffering until I got a Bontrager Race Day, then tried to swap the Max Flite with a forward seat post for Time Trials. The narrow part of this saddle sticks up and applies pressure right where you don't want it. Moreover, it applies no support to the sit bones, and I have a fairly narrow butt. This was the most painful saddle I have ever ridden.

Similar Products Used: Selle San Marco (Bontrager) Race Day; Selle San Marco Squadra Chromo, Specialized OEM (not Body Geometry)
Susan   Cross Country Rider [Mar 03, 2000]
Strength:

Can you say vinyl??? I didn't even put it on my bike. I can't have a vinyl seat in hot, humid, nj summers - you can figure it out. Not worth the money... I saw in a previous review that Price Point says its a leather saddle. They admitted to me that it is synthetic leather, but won't re-imburse my shipping. I feel ripped off. Gonna by a saddle from Speed Goat - not sure which one yet - perhaps the real leather flite trans am. :)

Fake, artificial, cheapo, synthetic, stick to your buns leather.

I give it only 1 chili for not being open about the synthetic leather. 1 chili to Price Point also.

Similar Products Used: WTB "fake" leather seat that came on my bike
Brian   Cross-Country Rider [Sep 02, 1999]
Strength:

Light

weak rails
synthetic leather cover

I paid $40 for this saddle from Price Point who assured me that it was a leather cover. When I received it, the contrary was true. I called Price Point and they argued with me assuring me that it was indeed a leather cover....NOT. I also ordered 5 other saddles from them and picked the best one, which in my opinion is the Flight. Flight Gel is OK, but not worth the money. Flight is also lightest by over 25 grams.

Similar Products Used: Flight
Flight Gel
Vetta SL
WTB SST
Tony   Cross-Country Rider [May 17, 1999]
Strength:

Strong as hell.
Looks spectacular.
Top notch workmanship.
***Customer service is second to none:)***

Takes a while to break in.

This saddle was a gift it was the sky blue one with the gel spots (very nice, very expensive), it's only weakness is that you have to break it in. On the up side it is one of the strongest saddles out, the Vanadium rails never bend and the leather never comes off. The kevlar edges hold up to all types of mountain abuse and never ripped except... I was cycling on the New York bike tour and on a downhill doing 30 and somebody up front crashed, thus sending me into someone else. I proceded to smash into a rather large pothole with two other cyclists and on impact I came off my cleats and was thus sent flying. Going back to my bike aside from some bloody scratches and a bent front rim I thought my bike was fine, I found my loved sella saddle had snapped off from it's rails. Sending it back to Mike from Pronet he said he'd never something like it and he sent out a replacement free of charge. with customer service like that I will never buy a saddle from another company again, I recommend these to anybody not only for great customer service but because of thier quality and style.

Similar Products Used: Various Trek saddles.
Bontrager saddles.
Specialized saddles.
Tim Crabbe   cross-country rider [Oct 18, 1998]

I'm 6'4 and 260lbs, and I bent my stock seat like a pretzel. I found the Flight Max on sale at CBO for forty dollars while looking for something a little stronger. The Flight Max was cheaper than just about everything else in its class, so I bought it. At first, I found it hard and too narrow, but after a week or two, we became better acquainted, and we've been good friends ever since. I've put 500 miles on it, and it hasn't bent, hasn't creaked, hasn't misbehaved in the slightest. The suspension aspect of the seat is nice, absorbing more impact than a seat should be asked to. The only thing I'm worried about is how the suspended structure has started to sag. Perhaps my mass is slowly destroying it, or perhaps it's just slowly breaking in. This is a solid piece of hardware that has demonstrated an ability to endure serious punishment. I recommend it to anyone looking for a reasonably comfortable, rather light seat.

Glen Leis   [Sep 30, 1998]

My butt feels much better thank you very much! An excellent product. I've raced with it, done long rides, rough technical rides etc . . . under all conditions it has been very comfortable. Furthermore it's thin, making it easy to get over your back wheel for steep downhills. An excellent product.

Drew   cross-country rider [Jun 16, 1997]

Been thru LOTS of saddles -- Velo, Vetta (neither were comfy), SDG (good shape but too rigid and stiff for my hardtail). Avocet O2 was great on my old bike but the rails are too short and far back for proper placement on my current bike. Thought I was outta luck until the Max Flite arrived -- very comfy! I've only been riding it a week or so but I think this saddle will become even sweeter as it breaks in. I got mine new for $57.00 so it was a good deal. We'll give it a 5 chili rating.