SDG Bel-Air FX Saddle

-A profoundly comfortable seat, and the first I-BEAM seat with a Flex Zone: An open space between the shell and beam. 235 grams.

Doug Gage   Cross Country Rider [Jul 26, 2007]
Strength:

light and strong

uncomfortable!!! very uncomfortable

tried this saddle for almost 2000km. Still very hard and uncomfortable. My new one felt better on the first ride.
You don't have to buy a new post because they make a adapter to fit regular seats but the post sucks also!

Similar Products Used: wtb pure
A.B.   Weekend Warrior [Dec 24, 2006]
Strength:

Looks cool and is very durable.

This thing is painful. To add insult to injury, you can't just go out and buy another seat to alleviate the problem because the I-beam post is incompatible with every seat out there. That means you have to buy a new post as well.

As comfortable as sitting on a granite slab. If your bike comes with this, request that the bike dealer to put on a different seat.

Jordan   Downhiller [May 21, 2007]
Strength:

Looks,

I BEAM WILL BREAK AND YOU WILL RACK YOURSELF SO HARD!!! I set the seat back a little bit, but not all the way. I hit a small 3 foot drop and landed a little funny. When my but hit the seat, the I beam snapped and the front end of the seat shot up as I fell down and just about ruptured both of my... well, you know what i mean..

This seat blows!!! When you break it and smash your boys you will have to buy a new seat post too. (unless you are stupid and buy another I-beam seat)

Similar Products Used: SELLA, SPECIALIZED, SEVERAL OTHERS...
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Aug 20, 2006]
Strength:

Relatively lightweight. Manufacturer claims 230g. Very easy to adjust, as there is only one lateral bolt (6mm hex key) which determines both seat angle and rail length adjustment. Instead of twin rails, there is a single, central plastic rail (I don't know if this brings significant improvement in strength). It has a groove to reduce pudendal artery compression, but not as deep as on some other saddles.

Hard and unforgiving, with little flex. Can only be used with SDG I-Beam seatposts; will not fit other manufacturers' seatposts. Is it as light as it claims? My kitchen scales say 295g. I can't explain that discrepancy. It came as a package with my new bike (2006) but it's a different colour to those on retailers' websites, so maybe it's last year's model. Combined with SDG I-Beam seatpost (31.6), my scales read the weight at just over 600g. I replaced the post and saddle with a Specialized BG2 Sport saddle and a Thomson Elite (31.6x410) post and the combined weight was slightly reduced, though the comfort level was hugely increased and the combined price was slightly lower.

It's OK for short trips around town or on tarmac but if you want to go on the rough stuff or over any respectable distances, there isn't much comfort here. After one 45km ride on fairly gentle dirt track (the Thames Path and a couple of laps of Richmond Park) I was convinced that this saddle had to go. I just couldn't contemplate doing a 100km ride on it.

Similar Products Used: Specialized BG2 Sport Saddle; earlier models of Specialized BG saddles.