San Marco Era K Saddle

Kevlar® in the rear part of the saddle; smooth leather on the sides to facilitate frictionless pedaling; and suede Lorica® for better grip and strength on the top.

Fyut   Cross Country Rider [Jul 25, 2008]
Strength:

very durable, good looking, comfortable for me.

none after 2+ years of use

this is a nice durable saddle that will get you through many, many rides. My primary reason for buying the era-k was not wight, but primarily comfort. As an added bonus, I also got durability ;)

Ride on!

Jim C   Racer [Aug 26, 2003]
Strength:

Good looks, kevlar reinforced, cutout in shell ("Flexible Feathered Tongue") beneath nose section to reduce perennium pressure

Too narrow for me

Used for about 4 x 2-hour road rides. Rear portion designed to support ischael (sp?) bones was arched down & a little too narrow for me, causing weight to be supported by perennium along the nose of the saddle - not healthy. Terry Zero doesn't look as cool, but has a flatter, wider rear portion, & is just as light. Didn't have a problem with the seam mentioned in previous review.

Similar Products Used: Terry Zero, Trico Split Rail, Trico Prima EX
Pedro   Cross Country Rider [Mar 04, 2002]
Strength:

Lightweight and forgiving. I have this on my XC and my road bikes and it is an investment that your children will thank you for down the road. Has got to be the mos comfortable saddle that I have ridden, especially for the road. It is the same one that Lance uses for cryin' out loud and well, he has more concerns in that region than most of us.

Its expensive if you don't have connections. Upwards of $100 for some of the newest models. It is durable though, so you will have it a while.

Good seat. Buy it. Ride it. Be able to walk after you ride. Good seat.

Similar Products Used: Italia gel, Bontrager race, WTB - will make you impotent.
Peter Rhodes   Racer [Feb 11, 2002]
Strength:

Lightweight, comfortable, extremely long wearing

I switched from the flite to this saddle about two years ago now. I used to go through a flite a season. The leather on these ERA saddles lasts a long long time. I even crashed in a criterium and my saddle didn't even rip even though it slid about 10 feet at 30 mph before hitting the bales.
I know that saddles are a very personal choice, but if you are not happy with what you have, I would recommend giving this one a try.
it only weighs 1 ounce more then a flite, so weight is nice and low. Padding and rubber insert mean all day comfort.
So even though it costs about $25 more then a flite, it is going into its 3rd year when I would in the past I would have been on my 3rd flite, this one is still going strong.

Similar Products Used: Selle Italia Flite
Shawn   Racer [Mar 17, 2002]
Strength:

Good vibration dampening, no numbness after 5+ hours in the saddle, appeared to be very durable

Personally I loved this saddle except there seems to be a major design flaw with the two different types of materials used in the center of the saddle vs. the leather on the outside. I put in a lot of hours and I don't typically get saddle sores but due to the seam between these materials it caused me major sores due to the friction of the seam that's more like a welt. I tried to work my ass into this saddle but after a month I gave up.

I believe this is a great saddle with the exception of the two different materials and resulting seam on the Era K. I plan on buying a couple of the Era Pro's that don't have the different materials.

Similar Products Used: Fizik Nisene, Specialized Body Geom. Comp and Pro
Joe   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2005]
Strength:

Tough as Nails, Relatively Light, Fits ME like a glove

While it's not a heavy weight at 230g, there are lighter saddles out there.

I have been riding this saddle for 3 years now and I cannot speak highly enough about it! I have a reputation for shredding saddles in crashes, but try as I may, I can't seem to put so much as a scratch on this one! It fits me like a glove (although that's like trying to get one pair of shoes to fit everyone).

Russell Ruggiero   Weekend Warrior [Feb 09, 2003]
Strength:

Weight

Support

Dear
Reader

I "had" to get my Trek STP 200 down to 24 pounds, and this product was able to get me there. It weighs 130g less than the stock FS 2000. The San Marco Era is a great looking product that gives me a decent ride, while reducing overall weight. However, it could use a little more support at the ears. In a nutshell, the San Marco Era pleasing to the eye, and well built. A solid value in every aspect.

Russ