San Marco Aspide Saddle

• Carbon-Fiber-Reinforced-Plastic (CFRP) shell with differentiated thicknesses to reduce weight without sacrificing strength.
  • Available with forged aluminum or titanium rails, light weight padding and Lorica® cover.

• User Reviews (30)

Will   Cross Country Rider [Feb 26, 2002]
    Strength:

It weighed out as advertised at 185gm.

Comfort Comfort Comfort!

All day comfort my arse! This thing is seriously uncomfortable. Rock hard and the logo stitching falls right under my sit bones. The carbon base just stiffens thing and there is so little padding I'm not sure it does any good. Avoid the Aspike and get a Flite. What bothers me most is how simple it is to make a great saddle. San Marco, if you are listening, copy the flite shape and flexible shell, remove a tiny(!) channel of foam down the middle, cut off the decrative nose, and add a decent amount of padding under the sit bones. I've modified my flite and it's tops.

Similar Products Used: Flite
    Stu Morrison   Weekend Warrior [May 26, 2007]
    Strength:

Amazing comfort considering the absolute no-give construction.When I opened the box I thought I may have shot myself in the foot but I persevered and I'm glad I did.The Aspide took a bit of getting used to which did NOT entail soreness,numbness or discomfort.More like a new concept of sitting.Despite the gloss finish I didn't slide about.My longest ride is,to date,60 miles on varied road surfaces at quite a brisk pace.I have described myself as a weekend warrior but I'm really an ex-racer who rides to keep in shape and because I enjoy it.The Aspide is as comfortable as most saddles I've ridden and more so than virtually all.It's a real good-looker too.On appearance alone it's worth an extra mile an hour.

I bought mine,new, at what was pretty much half price.The full price does seem a bit steep.Saddles are a very personal thing and if you buy an Aspide and it don't suit you then it could be a problem.I also get the feeling that if you dropped your bike and the saddle connected with the pavement then you might be left with some vey expensive shards.The edges,where the cantle would be,are sharp and you have to get used to them being there.Likewise the noe.Like I said,new concept.

A very good racing saddle that also fits the bill when it comes to brisk leisure riding.Not for anyone with pre-concieved ideas.Try it first if you can because I get the feeling that if it doesn't suit you then you will be in a world of hurt,physically and financially.

Similar Products Used: The hard Brook's saddles of the 1950's and '60's and the dreaded Unica-nitor,made of nylon-plastic which just didn't work for me.
    Dion   Racer [Dec 10, 2006]
    Strength:

lightweight, good looks

stiff, bloody uncomfortable!

I'd avoid buying this seat, it's lightweight but awfully uncomfortable.. to the point of causing pain and bruising after I used it in a 24 hour race (more than 20 mins on this seat hurts), I'm not stranger to lightweight & low padding seats and you can have both lightweight and good comfort (Fizik Arione / Flite Titanium) but not with this seat, I think the problem is it's too stiff, maybe for a heavier rider (i'm 82kg) then it might flex more but I suspect it would still be uncomfortable. I'm runing a carbon seatpost also which usually dampens some shock. I swapped this over to my road bike thinking it might be okay but it's still uncomfortable.. I'm selling this one and buying another Fizik Arione!! nuff said!

Similar Products Used: Flite Titanium, Fizik Arione, SDG
    Jimm   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2002]
    Strength:

Light weight; good looks; comfort

Very small "sweet spot"; high cost

My WTB/SST wore out...so, mounted the ASPide on the road machine and moved the Flite Gel to my MTB. The ASPide is NOT a good MTB saddle. It's too light and fragile. As far as I know, it was designed specifically for road use. After making one slight adjustment -- ahhhhhhh. This saddle works! It offers a VERY small "sweet spot"....if you move your butt just a tiny bit fore or aft, you're in painsville. But, once you find that one little area, you're in for a treat -- saddle? what saddle? Once I got my sitbones positioned JUST RIGHT, the comfort was amazing for such a minimalist saddle. I recommend this saddle for roadies and roadies only. It's not suited for MTB'ing.

Similar Products Used: SDG; Flite (several models); WTB
    Ivan M   Weekend Warrior [Dec 15, 2003]
    Strength:

Looks very racing. Light weight

Finish lose color very easy. It makes lot of noise if you don't put body milk on it. It's unbelieveable painfull

For short rides it's not very bad, or if you ride once a month. But forget it if you have to ride more than 3 hours, because your ass will seem the japan flag. Even the blood circulation to your legs will be seriously reduced. Buy it if you want to have a very good looking bike, but forget it if you want to preserve your ass

Similar Products Used: Selle Italia TriMatic, Vuelta, Selle Italia Max Flite TransAm
    Harold   Cross Country Rider [Sep 13, 2006]
    Strength:

Light weight, great looks, I've got the nighttrain edition, comfortable for me.

No kevlar or other protection on the side, be carefull with it when putting it against a wall.

Very nice saddle for me. Very happy with it, good looks, light weight and comforable enough for me. I don't think I should place this saddle on my roadbike. But for my xc-racer it's great.

Similar Products Used: fi'zi:k Nisene, other San Marco's, Selle Italia Flite and some more Selle Italia cheap stuff
    John   Racer [Feb 20, 2003]
    Strength:

Light, Stiff, Comfy. Had it on my hardtail race bike, and it was awsome.

I cracked it down the middle, perpendicular to the long way on the seat. It was right above the seatpost, and this is on my HARDTAIL RACE BIKE!! ZERO JUMPAGE!!. Good news is that its getting warratied, I just have to pay shipping.

Need a nice firm seat thats long, get this. Cool stripe colors too.

Similar Products Used: Flite, Era, Serfas Aria (on the road bike, its good too)
    John   [Jun 17, 2006]
    Strength:

Comfortable. Nice narrow nose. Firm, minimal padding, but with good shell flex.

Not for everyone.

Most comfortable saddle I've ridden. I bought this saddle after a century ride on my old Pave left me with ischial sores that wouldn't heal up until I took a week off of the bike. Since then they haven't returned. After 6 hours on this saddle my rear is not the sorest part of me by far. I actually have three of these saddles now - a plain Aspide, a Trek/Volvo team saddle, and an Aspide FX.

Note that I weigh under 140 lbs and I have relatively narrow hips. Other reviews seem to indicate that this isn't a good saddle if you're more heavily built.

Similar Products Used: San Marco Concor Supercorsa, Concor Light, Rolls, Selle Italia Turbo, Fizik Pave
    Guy   Weekend Warrior [Mar 13, 2008]
    Strength:

Great Seat..very comfortable. Took a couple of months of minor adjustments to get it into the correct position. After that it was the best seat I have ever used. A Nice lightweight seat

I cant see anything wrong with this saddle. Works just fine...

Great saddle for the price..lightweight, comfortable