Saddleco Flow Saddle

Flow

Flow's seating surface is 100% open to the air, which allows moisture to be wicked away from the body. You can't do this with a conventional saddle, and anyone who tries to tell you that a "vented channel" does the same thing might consider a career at a TV shopping network. That's like saying a bike helmet is vented the same as a hairnet...not that we'd ever compare Flow to a hairnet.

Todd Taylor   Racer [Aug 30, 2003]
Strength:

The whole concept of the design is a good one, to me. After having two weeks of 90+ degree humid weather, a 100% vented seats seems nice. The mesh suspension system, like a Herman Miller Aeron chair, *seems* like a good idea, however...

Perhaps I got a bad seat, but my first ride on this seat felt like I was sitting on a cookie cutter! I'm 6'1", 167 lbs., and so I don't think I'm too heavy for this seat. However, I almost couldn't tell there was any mesh on the seat because I was pretty much sitting on the plastic frame... which I could feel everywhere (except on the very front.)

Assuming my seat wasn't defective, Saddleco either has to re-think it's design, or my *bottom* just isn't the right shape for this seat. If the latter, then I'm afraid this either I have a really unique butt, or this seat isn't going to work for a lot of people :( It probably does do a good job of providing air-flow, but I think most people would agree that ventilation means nothing if the seat isn't comfortable.

Similar Products Used: I don't think there are similar products yet, but my current seat is a Selle Italia Flite Titanium Gel.
Wheel Spoken   Weekend Warrior [Sep 03, 2003]
Strength:

Awesome, this is the one I have been looking for my whole life. Sad to admit but I had been forced into saddles that were flat out ugly but this one is by far the most comfortable one I have ever ridden.

None that I am aware of. I got one of the first ones out.

It flat out works. I come back from a ride and feel like I was never on the bike.

Similar Products Used: You name it. Anyone want to buy a garage full of saddles?
Glenn   Racer [Oct 15, 2003]
Strength:

The thing feels pretty cool, for a little while. Oooh-aaah factor.

While it's not the most uncomfortable saddle in the world, it ain't the greatest. It's hard to find the right place to sit on this thing. There's definitely a sweet spot, and if you like to slide fore and aft you're going to miss it.

This thing has promise, but I don't think it's there yet. I put mine on the week before the big local century. I had one of the first ones, and the rails were too close together. I had to cut a piece of wood and hammer it in between the rails to spread them, and when it was finally installed, it was off-center. That may have messed things up a bit.

The century went OK. My naughty bits did feel better, but the hard plastic frame of the saddle really ate my inner thighs. Not good. Then, I developed a lovely cyst. The mesh started to separate from the frame, too, and I think that it was doomed had I continued to ride it. I took it off! The search continues for a comfortable saddle.

Similar Products Used: You name it. Most everything.
Bill   Weekend Warrior [Oct 19, 2003]
Strength:

Amazing design,ventilation,lightness, looks. Comfort!

Plastic perimeter has no padding and is hard as a result. If you contact it while riding you can get saddle sores or just plain bruising. This saddle has a "fit" limit. It will work for some and not for others. Hopefully the manufacturer is working on other sizes of saddles to appeal to more riders. I also wonder how long it will last, but it does have a 1year wty, and the manufacturer really backs the product. The president emailed me with advice regarding my concerns about the rails of the Flow, which are a bit narrow, making the saddle hard to mount initially. His technical advice solved my problem.

It is a comfortable saddle for me. I am 155lbs, 5ft 10in tall. It took awhile to figure out how to set it up, but once in the proper position it is the best saddle I have ever used. Yes I rode a Brooks B17 for years too! I found that this saddle needs to be relatively flat and back on the rails enough that the hard frame did not contact my pelvis. I mounted it further back than my other saddles, but it works! I've ridden over 160 kilometers (or over 6 hours) on it with no discomfort. Previously I could only to about 100km on any other saddle I've owned. It is the Holy Grail of saddles for me!!

Similar Products Used: Brooks B17, Flite Trans Am, Terry Liberator Race, Pro Link Gel, Oktavia, Koobi Silver to name the best of the many I've owned and tried.
Stefano Fabrizi   Cross Country Rider [Aug 14, 2006]
Strength:

beautiful object, very innovative quite perfect in its idea...
light too.

I could'nt ride this saddle more than a test because of its rigid edges.

The idea is great but need more time to be developed in reliable product for everybody. The first feeling was not good and I tried several adjustments to fit a little confortable. I've also tried with different cycling shorts.

Similar Products Used: Fisik Aliante, Gobi; Selle Italia SRL; Brooks ti; Becker Carbon
Joe   Weekend Warrior [Mar 21, 2004]
Strength:

Relatively light weight, more comfortable than any other seat I've owned, unique styling.

None thus far

The saddle that my bike came with was uncomfortable and downright painful with any ride greater than 20 miles or 1+ hour. You might say I was desperate. I tried the Sella Italia and immediately found it to be similar to the Specialized. I read about this saddle and thought the concept was pretty unique. So I thought I'd take a chance and order it.
Results...........After 150+ miles and rides up to 2.5 hours I actually forgot about the saddle I was sitting on and enjoyed the ride. It does have a different feel to it, but I'm pain free while on my bike.
One point mentioned in another review....The rails were not open enough to easily fit onto my seatpost. But I let the clamp on the seat post set the appropriate spread as I tightened it down.

Similar Products Used: Sella Italia Genuine Gel, Specialized BG
Barry   Weekend Warrior [Jan 05, 2004]
Strength:

Fantastic comfort, light weight, relief of pressure on seat arteries, way cool styling

Probably a questionable fit for people with a large body frame. ie Over 200lbs.

All I can say is fantastic! I read alot of online comments at various websites about the Saddleco saddle. Some of them extremely positive and some not. If the saddle is set up properly and the bike fits your frame, there is no other saddle on the market that is this comfortable. I had an off brand saddle that I used for years on my Trek after throwing away many uncomfortable saddles. I just got a brand new Cannondale R3000 and it came with a new Selle Italia SLR 135g Ti which retails for $125. The Selle Italia is the worst saddle I have ever used as far as comfort. 25 miles into my ride I had to stand every mile to relieve the pain. I just put 40 miles on the Saddleco saddle and my buttocks feels great. And the pressure put on my arteries in my seat area, which contributes to global population decline, was nonexistent. I am a believer. I'd like to add a few comments which may help those who complained about the Saddleco. I could see how the seat could cause pain IF 1) Your bike is a compact geometry (top tube) or undersized, 2) You have a large frame or 3) You don't set the Saddleco back far enough. I had alot of people try to sell me on a smaller frame when I went looking for a replacement for my Trek. Their reasoning was that all you needed to do was extend the seatpost if it was a little small. This sizing is a common practice in bike shops. It is wrong. The top tube length isn't taken into consideration in many sizings. So if you chose to put a Saddleco on a bike that is too small, your tail bone is going to ride the back of the saddle on a very uncomfortable spot on the seat not meant to be sat on. The same holds true for those who are large framed in the seat area which is probably one of the reasons for the Saddleco weight limits posted by the company. There is no perfect saddle in the market but this is far and away the best I have ever used. And I have used alot. Plus the company stands behind the product with no questions asked. How can you beat that? It's funny but a week before I bought the Saddleco I went to the local bike shop and had a know-it-all salesman tell me how great the Selle Italia SLR TI was. Of course, he didn't know that was what I was trying to get rid of. Vote for your butt and your manliness and buy the Saddleco. It is truly different and superior than the traditional saddles. Anyone want to buy a new Selle Italia SLR?

Similar Products Used: ALOT
Lyle   [Jul 21, 2003]
Strength:

very comfortable
light
no numbness!

recommended for road use only

I bought an early productionversion of the Flow. EXCELLENT! This thing is great! it was a little different than a normal saddle, but after 10 minutes of riding, I forgot all about it: thats a good thing, 'cause this is the first ride i've been on in months where I didn't have any numbness in the willy.

Similar Products Used: Flite, Specialized
Sean   Weekend Warrior [Sep 01, 2003]
Strength:

I've been riding Flow for a little over a month, and I think it's sweet. Very comfortable, and no numbness at all. Its way better than my Flite, even on long rides.

None for me. I haven't felt the edges at all and I'm 6'2" 180lbs. I was skeptic but it works really well. Its the first saddle where I haven't gotten uncomfortable.

I would totally recommend this. I saw some reviews from some more pro level guys on roadbikereview that were pretty positive, and I'd have to say that I think it's great, too.

Similar Products Used: Italia Flite
Jeffrey   Cross Country Rider [Jan 09, 2004]
Strength:

I purchased a ‘second’ (minor blemishes) from the company before it was available to the general public after seeing the saddle at INTERBIKE and trying it on a trainer for 10 minutes.
I have never tried a saddle before that fit so well right from the start. This is by far the most comfortable saddle that I’ve ever used.
Being a weight weenie I was a little put off at the saddle’s weight of 296 grams. Not that that’s a lot, but there are sub 200 gram saddles out there.
And over the last 6 months I’ve ‘tested’ a few. But I keep coming back to the Flow. And the reason is comfort. You hardly know you’re sitting on anything.

The saddle has a hard plastic shell around the edge to hold the mesh. If you don’t position the saddle in the right place you’ll find yourself sitting on the shell. This is not a good idea as the shell doesn’t give at all.
I’m 6 foot tall and weight 175 lbs and I’ve had no problems.
It's expensive.

Get this saddle. You won't be dissappointed. I expect that this saddle would be even better on the road than it is in the woods.

Similar Products Used: Nothing is really similar, closest thing to it that I’ve used is the Terry Ti Men’s race saddle. My second favorite saddle.