Koobi Xenon Saddle

Xenon

Lightweight, high performance saddle with exquisite styling. Available in black Italian leather. Ti Alloy rails.

ABQ Clydesdale   [Mar 22, 2013]
Strength:

durable
comfortable
keeps pressure off sensitive regions

can wear on sit bones on longer rides

I've had this saddle for about 8 months, and it has performed great! It has worn well, and it serves the intended purpose of keeping pressure off my sensitive areas.

I had tried several other saddles including WTB Speed V Pro Gel and Fizzik Gobi. The Koobi fits me better and does a better job of protecting those private areas. I would definitely buy another one.

Nate Schweiz   Cross Country Rider [Dec 27, 2010]
Strength:

Lite weight & very comfortable

I have been using this Xenon on my old full suspention Trek for years . I have been very happy with it . For long rides it works very well . At first it seemed rather hard but after the leather broke in it was very compfortble .I bought it off there website .

Similar Products Used: WTB
WACX   [Feb 11, 2003]
Strength:

Material, design, Quality, Made by Sella Italia, created by dudes that really care about R-Backsides proper

None if you go back to the basics and make small ajustments until the height and angle match your tushhhy

A Brooks it ain't but so far it's most cumfy especially when hard set on the rollers for the balance of the winter. the real test will come on the road. the materials and quality are there and the story of the Ladds that designed the things are worthy of an open mind and break-in period. I would say go for the Koobi if your current chair ain't gett'in it for you. BY the By, Jenson USA has earned their reputation for a great place to do business.

Similar Products Used: Flites (Gel and non-jelly versions), Specialized (Bunn Braker machine), Brooks: Swift, B72, Profesional (all are great saddles and remain my favorites), Vetta (so-so), San Marco (hole in the middle thing-a-ma-jigg) and many, many others too painful to remember.
Andy Cox   Cross Country Rider [Sep 14, 2003]
Strength:

Very light and dead comfy. At first sight workmanship is excellent.

However, the plastic in which the rails sit has failed (cracked) during moderate use ensuring a long hack back home!

Great saddle - shame it broke

Similar Products Used: Flite Ti
Jon Crane   Cross Country Rider [Mar 18, 2004]
Strength:

it light, and it looks great.

the plastic and ti rails broke on a long ride. pedaling with out a seat sucks! there customer service will treat you like a jerk.

there are no special instructions included with this saddle, but koobi told me that that bolts had to be costom fit when using it with a thompson seat post, and that it was my fault for it breaking. i mailed it to them to warranty and they sent it back with used rails replaced on it! now it just sits on the shelf because it will eventually leave me walking again!

purple paul   [Oct 28, 2002]
Strength:

Fairly Comfortable. Beautifully made.

Thick seams. Damn expensive.

I don't know what Koobi were thinking when they sewed really thick seams across this saddle. It took a lot of work to get it to be comfortable enough to ride for a few hours at a time. The secret for me was to tilt it down in front quite a bit more than I ever had before. That way, the seams aren't hitting pressure points as much. Until I did that, I was actually developing a really painful bump where the seam and my inner thigh met. Since it's gotten colder here, I haven't gone on a really long ride to see if the saddle would remain comfortable longer. But it is more comfortable on the shorter rides than it used to be.

Matt   [Dec 13, 2002]
Strength:

Sweet looking. Groove seems to work. Very light.

Kind of hard.

This one is staying on my road bike. It is great for riding along on smooth roads. I think it would be way too hard for bumpy offroad rides. Everytime I hit a bump on the road, it gives me a jolt. On the other hand, for cruising along, it's great. I can't decide if it's better than the Flite Gel I used to have, but it's definitely not worse. (I loved that Flite). One thing about it that's different than anything I've tried: it's FLAT. Kind of like sitting on a pancake. Seems to work, but feels weird at first. I'm getting used to it though. No complaints. I'll stick with my Speed V for my mountain bike. (I've got a weird Speed V that only weighs 275g!) I just couldn't pass this one up for the price! ($26 on eBAY. Mint condition. Sometimes you just get lucky). I'll give it 4 chilis for value though because I don't think it's worth the $100 that most places charge.

Similar Products Used: Speed V, Flight Gel Ti, Slim Jim
Carl Mega   Cross Country Rider [Nov 03, 2004]
Strength:

fit, fit, fit - very comfortable

if you sneeze on it, the rails will break

I have to echo Jon's review below. I purchased this saddle and instantly loved it. Fits great. The only problem was it broke in under 20 rides (maybe as few as 10). Rails and plastic bits cracked 1/2 through a 35mi ride. I had already purchased another one before the failure so when I called their customer service I wanted to know if this failure was common. Pretty unhelpful and rude customer service. I was told that even if it was a manufacturing defect the best they could do was put in new rails. Well too late for that - the plastic broke too. They also told me it was most likely my fault (mounted wrong - ha! I'm a wrench and have mounted 1000s of saddles - never incorrectly) but interestingly and contrary to what Jon wrote - they said they normally don't have problem with Thomson posts. They can't even get their story straight. If you own this saddle, look at the rails - it's pretty obvious that the method they (Koobi does not do the manufacturing btw) use to bend the rails into shape causes the thin walled Ti to 'pinch' in areas and causes weak spots - right where you need the most strength. In their defense, my second one has lasted longer but it's still suspect. If reliability and durability is important to you look elsewhere. Fine for around town but this saddle will not be going on any long epic rides with me. Here's a link to a thread and photo of the failure: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=479117#post479117

$100 retail for a saddle that has a tendancy to fail is insane.

Rey   Weekend Warrior [May 28, 2004]
Strength:

Very comportable(no pain), cooling ventilation inbetween you legs, great looks(color match my bike), strenght, lite weight.

Non so far except it would be nice if it has kevlar on the seat side for added strenght.

This is my 3rd year on this saddle(I weight 160lbs) and so far I haven't have any problem (no pain and very comportable) and still looks good compare to the other reviewer before me.
I highly recommend this product to anyone who want comport, style, and cooling effect on you bottom.

Similar Products Used: WTB speed V comp(pain in my @$$). Koobi SI.
Ian Mitchell   Cross Country Rider [Apr 09, 2008]
Strength:

Great support and extremely comfortable.

Durability of the rails and plastic

I was loving this saddle for a bout 3 weeks until I had a minor wreck at Hamilton Creek (going down hill had a moderate pace, hit a grouping of rocks and went over the handle bars - no, no, it's okay. I'm fine!). The right-rear rail bent and the plastic at the nose that wraps around the front rail broke. I could easily bend back the rail (not sure if it would be weaker now) but I'm not sure how to fix the plastic. The leather seat didn't even sustain a scratch. I'm very disappointed in the quality of the rails and plastic but I'm very satisfied with the actual saddle. I've sent mine back to Koobi for repair and am waiting for a an estimate. If the durability of the rails and plastic could have withstood the crash, it'd still be lovin' my saddle and would have given it more flaming chili's.