Fizik Aliante Carbon Saddle

The Twin Flex shell technology offers full-length pressure relief from the saddle's nose through the flank.

hookooekoorider   Cross Country Rider [Sep 15, 2010]
Strength:

Very comfortable. Carbon shell and rails flex just enough to conform to your shape.

Expensive.

I'm a 180 lb. cross country rider, and the Aliante carbon is the most comfortable seat I've ridden on (incl. WTB speed, which is also a comfy saddle, and WTB rocket). Perfect fit for me, just the right shape for the sit bones, just right cushioning, but the main advantage is the added flex from the carbon shell and rails that help the seat conform to the shape of your arse and flex just the right amount under load. To be honest, I had some numbness when I first switched to the Aliante Carbon, but that went away as I got used to it. Perhaps the saddle broke in a little and perhaps I adjusted my sitting position. IMHO, this is a saddle where you have to adjust the position just right for it to be comfortable; and b/c there isn't a cutout, you don't want to sit too far forward on the saddle. To the reviewers below who broke their Aliante Carbons...come on, this is a road bike saddle. Don't get the carbon railed version if you are going to downhill, crash, jump, etc.; get the K:ium (carbon shell, kium rails), gamma, sport, or XM (mtn bike specific) versions instead. BTW, I also have the gamma and sport versions, and neither are as comfortable as the carbon. And to the reviewer whose rails "melted," but didn't try customer service...you should have...their customer service is excellent and they do replace defective saddles. 5 chilis overall for comfort, 4 chilis for value b/c it's so expensive.

Similar Products Used: WTB Speed, WTB Rocket, Bontrager, Nashbar
Joe Biggen   Weekend Warrior [May 01, 2008]
Strength:

comfy, looks great, light

not the strongest, but hey, its a ROAD saddle

Super comfy ride, and light, but not the burliest out there. However, this is a ROAD saddle that I've switched over to a trailbike so take that into consideration. Obviously some other folks didn't read the catalog and don't know the difference.

Similar Products Used: Spec's, V's, etc.
scott   Weekend Warrior [Jun 09, 2007]
Strength:

reasonably comfortable, easy to move fore and aft, light

popped off rails on third ride

I was just riding small circles while my wife rested. I didn't realize I was clipped in and just did a drop on my side - dumb, but still getting used to the clipless thing...

Anyway to my great surprise the seat popped off its rails - the thing is like brand new... the plastic base is not sufficiently well designed to prevent this from happening - unfortunately was not able to get the seat back on the rails while on the trail. Used the rubber band/casing from a Crank Brothers multi tool to hold the nose of the seat to the front of the rails to get me home...

There is a small plastic plate under the nose of the seat which also popped off - held on by one tiny wood screw ??

It might be fine in a road application, but doesn't seem rugged enough for off-road usage...

Based on this experience I can't recommend this product, and thought others should know.

Similar Products Used: bontrager, ritchey
Kent   Cross Country Rider [Mar 24, 2007]
Strength:

Comfort and weight. This review is for the Aliante Gamma Ti.

Price is about twice as much as a WTB Rocket V SLT saddle.

My last saddle (wtb rocket v slt) was very light but was not comfortable at all. The Fizik Aliante Gamma Ti has both covered, it is light (256 grams) and without all the seams on the WTB saddles, the Fizik is very comfortable.

Similar Products Used: WTB Rocket V SLT, WTB Pure V, WTB Speed V.
John Dovine   Racer [Oct 12, 2006]
Strength:

Fairly comfortable after a short break in.
Looks good to me.

Durability is not a quality of this saddle.

I hate to lay a review out like this considering some folks really liked this saddle, but the truth speaks for itself.
Had an older Fizik that this one replaced. It lasted almost 4 years.
This Aliante Carbon was expensive and was expecting great things.
Won't go into too much detail on the comfort because that is subjective, but this thing has way too much padding for me. It felt like I was wearing diapers at first. After a couple of weeks break in it felt pretty good and I could have lived with it.
Within 6 months this saddle was destroyed. I was worried about the thigh glides on the front sides of the saddle, and sure enough the material began to tear along the stitching. I wear a baggy style short and do up to 70 mile or so rides on the weekend, but this tear can not be reasonably repaired. Got it superglued together until I get another one. I was hoping this thigh glide was sewed over the top of a more durable material, but that is not the case. Just foam rubber underneath. Bummer!!!
Also, just leaning it against a tree or wall on the saddle side badly scuffs the material. It had not formed another tear there yet, but I could see it coming. Many others complain about this saddle coming apart. Should have listened.
This saddle did not even make it through a single season so Fizik never again, unless it's free.

Similar Products Used: Another cheaper Fizik that lasted forever - hence the reason I paid the big bucks for this one.
Had a Brooks saddle previous to that.
Logan   Racer [Jul 24, 2006]
Strength:

Comfortable, good looking; durable

none yet; price?

This is the beautiful (silver) C-dale Team Replica Model w/yellow carbon weave underneath: Very comfortable saddle! I can race a 12-hour mtb. race on this and feel fine (and look great while doing it!) Saddle seems quite durable too. Definately a good indicator for me purchasing another Fizik saddle in the future for any of my other bikes.

Similar Products Used: Fizik Plateau, WTB Laser V Pro; multiple Italian leathers on road bikes
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Feb 28, 2008]
Strength:

Pretty comfortable, soft padding, light

Soft padding, weak rails that break, uncomfortable in long run, too soft

I used the saddle for a little less than a year and the carbon rails turned to pasta. They didn't snap, but rather slowly got soft until they came out of the saddle. Not a good saddle for MTB. I only ride once a week on average and I am very kind to my equipment. Never dropped it hard on the saddle or anything. This is a clear case of defective materials and craftsmanship. I haven't tried to get Fizik to cover it because I have doubts they would and don't have time to chase them down. But I would try another one if they offerred. Maybe it was just a bad unit.