Ergon SMC3 Saddle

Ergon SMC3 Comfort MTB Saddle Ergon's SMC3 Series was developed as an all-around mountain bike saddle, ideal for long all-day rides or those wanting more cushion. In addition to being softer and thicker than the SMR3 Series, Ergon focused on optimizing relief for the soft tissue zone. The specially designed shape and pronounced relief channel are ideal for those with sensitivity in this area. This particular model, the SMC3, features chrome molybdenum rails with a fiberglass composite shell. Orthopedic padding 6mm deep relief channel CroMo rails Approx. weight: 255g (small), 265g (med), 270g (large) If you race and are looking for something lighter, have a look at Ergon's SMR3 Series .

Uly   All Mountain Rider [Dec 27, 2017]
Strength:

Aesthetics, nose is not too long and curves down for comfort on climbs, sides flow downward and flex for comfort when pedaling.

Center channel is not quite flat. The rise causes pain in the interior region.

Had this saddle for over a year and it's great for those hour long rides, but longer rides lead to discomfort.

championp   Cross Country Rider [Jul 02, 2015]
Strength:

Well made, looks good on the bike, durable, broad nose helps facilitate multiple body positions.

Requires long break in period, not a cushy as companies description, severely uncomfortable on longer rides.

After trying the third seat on my newest bike, I thought I'd try Ergon's most comfort based model. With all their science (perhaps just marketing) I thought this might be the saddle for me, so I purchased the comp model for it's decent weight and lowest price. After the first ride I thought I'd made a huge mistake-it was the most uncomfortable seat I've ever ridden on a mountain bike. The foremost corners that were supposed to flex when pedaling were rock hard and dug into the glute/hamstring area with every turn of the cranks. I was forced to stick it out while I saved money and ponder which seat to try next. Over the course of a few weeks, the padding finally softened up and the corners began to soften up and flex. It feels invisible until the 2.5-3 hour mark where it abruptly becomes very uncomfortable again, so it's great from the beginning of the ride until fatigue sets in. I have the small width but wish it was available in an even narrower size. The build quality is great and the broad nose helps make all body positions useful. Also dropping the nose a tiny amount helps with ball comfort.

I think the padding is sufficient once broken in, but wish the plastic frame beneath was more forgiving.

sagerat   [May 13, 2015]
Strength:

looks good doesn't squeak yet seems to be well built.

Not as comfortable as I wished, slightly better than my henge.

I know saddle fit is subjective, but I had high hopes for this one. Two hours max is all I want of this saddle, although it is much better than the SME30. I will continue to adjust the fore-aft, nose up and nose down, but I feel that I will be moving to a different brand.