Brooks Swift Saddle

A performance leather saddle for racier endeavors. Brooks finest.The handsome Swift was the youngest gentleman's racing saddle in the Brooks range. It features delicately hand skived lower sides, where a thin stripe of the leather top surface is cut back, thus exposing the lighter colored suede beneath which makes for an attractive visual accent and greater comfort when pedaling. The large copper rivets at the nose and tail are also hammered by hand, commensurate with our usual high level of attention to detail. As is the case with all of our hand manufactured saddles, the Swift proudly sports a metal nameplate at the rear, and in addition two embossed graphic details on the sides featuring the saddle name and incorporating an icon of a Swift in flight.

roy22791   Weekend Warrior [May 25, 2009]
Strength:

It's a Brooks! The looks, design and quality are unsurpassed.

This one is difficult to break in - kind of pricy too.

My first Brooks, the B17 Special, I sat on for 12,142 miles (thats 19,547 km) of flat trail cruising, mostly in dirt/gravel. Very comfortable and very quick breakin. The Swift is not quite there yet and I have over 600 miles of sitting on it. Have adjusted the tilt twice and hopefully will get where I was with comfort soon. I am an avid Brooks fan, think it is the best looking part of the bike.

Similar Products Used: Brooks B17 Special, and others not worth mentioning
Miguel G.-D.   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2003]
Strength:

Confi saddle, excellent finish, sturdy.

a bit heavy (is this really a weakness?). Better save weight somewhere else...

This is the saddle to get if you suffer from problems such as hard feeling, pain, numbness, or if your butt just gets a too warm due to limited transpiration of the saddle, even using those with gel... and especially in hot summer days. In my case, breaking-in process of the brooks has been fast; probably because I just felt good with it from the start (good for me). But this thing just gets even more confi with miles since the leather progressively adapts to your anatomy. Also, since the leather is porous and this saddle does not have any plastic hardshell in the bottom, it actually "breaths", avoiding that excess of heat mentioned above. If you consider the average lifespan of a brooks, the excessive price of a brooks swift may be questioned. I highly recommend this saddle to any cross country rider looking for a confortable, finely made and sturdy great-looking item period.
Happy trails.

Similar Products Used: Avocets, Selle Italia (Turbo, Flite, Trans Am), San Marco (Concor, Regal Girardi), WTB, Specialized.
Fatman   Cross Country Rider [Jun 21, 2003]
Strength:

saddle

looks very retro (might be an advantage for some), a tiny bit heavier than most expensive saddles, a bit bulky behind

Had saddle problems for an endless time and have tried a fast selection of mtb saddles. So, after having stumbled across these review, I bit the bullet and bought a Brooks (this Swift)for a really tough amount of money. When I looked at it the first time, I was terribly dissappointed: this suposed to be a comfortable saddle? Ridiculous! Just some Ti Rails an' some thick leather. After one month of breaking in this saddle is a revelation. Instead of getting nasty after the usual hour of riding, this thing gets the more comfortable the longer you ride. I don't know how it is done. But it works. THIS SADDLE HAS TERMINATED A 15 YEARS' TIME OF SADDLE PORBLEMs. period.

Similar Products Used: practically everything
kz   [Mar 02, 2006]

As soon as I got into mtbkng in 03 I had numbness issues in my toes and thigh. I eventually figured out that my saddle and my sit bones were not in tune. I tried the WTB Laser Stealth, and it was an improvement, but not enough better. I went to the Brooks, as so many reviewers rave about them and my issue led me to think that this was my best hope.

I labored over which Brooks to get, but I settled on the Ti Swift.

I'm happy with this saddle. My problem is not completely solved, but it is far better than with the other saddles I rode. Break in was not a big deal, but after about 100 miles the saddle was noticably more comfy. At 200 miles I felt that it was there. I regularly do 20+ miles on rocky terrain, and while I still have a little numbness that comes and goes, I never have that "I gotta get off this frickin saddle" thing.

I'm glad I got the Swift vs the B-17 or Team. It just seems like the right call for mtbkng. I can get behind it easily, it isn't horribly heavy, and it looks the part. It has the doofy bag loops, but I haven't gotten caught in them and I ride in baggies. One thing to be aware of is that the rails on this saddle restrict your seatpost choices. You need a post that clamps a little farther to the rear. I use a Ritchey WCS post and it barely permits the saddle to be far enough back.

Similar Products Used: WTB Laser Stealth, horrible stock Body Geometry (2003)
chuck cypert   Cross Country Rider [Dec 24, 2003]
Strength:

Classic beauty, timeless design.

Heavier than your average high-dollar saddle. Limited fore/aft adjustability because of short ramps on the rails.

Yeah, you gotta have a certain butt to really appreciate one of these saddles, but if you have that butt there is nothing that makes it more comfy on a long ride. The leather is thinner than many Brooks to keep the weight down so it may not be ideal for a heavy rider, but for me (185 lbs) I will never need to replace another saddle on this bike I expect.

Goop it up good with Proofide (bottom too) and set it in the sun for several days in a row and it is ready to start breaking in your butt. Once the two grow together you will understand why goofy old guys like me love these things. Or you will think you have found the ultimate torture device, there seems to be no middle ground on whether these are comfortable or not.

Similar Products Used: Ti Flites.
Amman Verzosa   Weekend Warrior [Jan 06, 2002]
Strength:

Comfort & great looks

A tad on the heavy side, but who cares. Loose weight somewhere else like around the belt.

Best saddle I ever had. Got confortable on it right off the bat... no break-in phase. Great looks!

The only problem I have with it is myself. I got talked into selling it by some weight winnie biker friends, that it weighed a ton. Man! What a fool am I for listening to them. Anyway, I blame myself for letting it go, and I'm buying another.

Personnaly I think it's great looking saddle, and I can ride a double century with no sore spots on my buttocks.

Similar Products Used: Selle Italia Flite, Flite Gel, Prolink Gel and Prolink Trans Am.
John   [Jan 05, 2002]
Strength:

comfort, looks & retro factor

price, but worth every penny

Although Brooks fans don't like it's titanium chassis, it's a thoroughbred Brooks saddle all the way. Contrary to what you've heard or read, this saddle is not uncomfortable brand new. Actually mine fit well right away & I rode a 24-hour race the week after I bought it. If you have a thin hip structure this one should work well for you. Heavier, guys with a stocky body style probably won't like it. I did do some leather prep for the 1st week working Proofide treatment in with my thumbs, especially where your sit bones rest. It's expensive, but I had a major problem with my legs & crotch numbing up and my wife gave me the go ahead. More of you should try this approach! Buy one from Bill at Wallingford. If you don't like it, you have 6 months to return it in used condition for your money back.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager,San Marco, Avocet 02 etc.
chris foller   Weekend Warrior [Oct 31, 2003]

Awesome saddle ... but it finally broke. I have had this saddle for about 6-7 years. Unfortunately the welds that attach the frame of the saddle to the rails fractured on a pretty technical MTB ride.

I am not sure if someone can fix this but I'll try.

Similar Products Used: I have had Brooks saddles for the last 20 years.
Ken   Weekend Warrior [Aug 03, 2002]
Strength:

"Old world" craftsmanship and unsurpassed build quality distinguishes this top of the range Brooks from anything else on the market. Individual and distintive looks with best quality leather and copper rivets only add to it's appeal.

The construction is unique; with the best quality saddle leather moulded over a titanium frame. This ensures that it will last forever and allows the leather to breathe naturally i.e. no padding to absorb sweat and distort.

After a short "breaking in" period the saddle moulds itself to your body's individual contours in much the same way as your favourite pair of walking boots did.This is truely nature's answer to anatomical fitting.

In summation quite simply the best bike saddle in the world for anybody cycling over 100 miles per week, or anyone who can afford the best.

None.

If you've got a bike that deserves the best and you can afford it get one; there's nothing more comfortable.

Similar Products Used: I still have a Brooks Colt and a Brooks Conquest.
john   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2005]
Strength:

nice looking, very confortable

can't find one so far

the nicest loking saddle I ever seen, everybody will ask you for the saddle of your bike. little expensive, but you pay for what you get. very confortable so far you get use of it.