Brooks Champion Flyer Saddle

Brooks Champion Flyer Saddle

• Brooks B.17 cover with a single-rails sprung frame
  • Black or honey colored leather w/ black frame

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 29, 2011]
    Marrz

Strength:

Uber-Comfort, Break in not as bad as other Brooks

Water Anxiety.

I got this saddle ~10k miles ago and love it more each day. The break in was no where near as bad as the other brooks I own and for a ridged frame bike springs made a huge difference.

The Last saddle I'll ever need.

Brooks Colt

[May 30, 2011]
    Houlie

Strength:

The Brooks Champion Flyer is a traditional sprung leather saddle that is made in Birmingham, England. The saddle will shape itself to your contours over time. How long that time is can be variable. If you use the bike every day, it can be a fairly short period, but if you use it once a month, it will take forever. As I am a daily user, it took about a fortnight (approx 200 miles). Once it has formed the correct shape, that's it. All you have to do is give it some TLC with a dab of Brooks Proofride to keep the leather in tip top condition now and again. The saddle comes with an adjustment spanner to retension the leather, but it usually causes more problems that it solves, as users seem to overtighten the leather and it will tear, which is a bad thing to do. It must be a measure of my happiness with the saddle in that I may buy a new bike, but I keep to the saddle, which has been on a few over the years :o)

Doesn't like to get wet, but neither do I

A saddle that should last a lifetime, even if the bikes don't!

Vetta, Selle and a few others

[Jan 23, 2010]
    priory

Strength:

the most comfortable long distance saddle, instantly for me, gets better with age or get a pre-aged one.Now I can sit on it all day no problems and eventually I will get there in a good mood.

not as heavy as it looks but not featherweight.

If you go out for the whole day get one. If you are going to do 500miles tour in a week get one.

brooks team pro and b17comp, flite-max, rolls , etc etc

[Jul 23, 2008]
    Holmes

Strength:

Comfort, durability, retro looks

Weight, might be too wide for some, needs to be kept reasonably dry.

By far the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden on. I've got about 1,300 miles on it and it's been fantastic. My current bike is a Surly touring rig, but I have ridden some mild single track and a fair bit of forest service roads and jeep trails with it. I'd say this is where a sprung saddle really shines - long days on rough roads or non-technical trails where you just want to sit up and take in the scenery. A typical weekend ride for me might be 50 - 70 miles on pavement or 20-35 miles on dirt roads and trails.

This was my first leather saddle, and I read quite a few reviews before I took the plunge. There seems to be a fairly even number of people that love or hate them. For myself it was very comfortable out of the box (after a bit of tweaking the angle and position). No break-in misery.

A leather saddle does require a bit more care than a synthetic (mostly keeping it from getting totally soaked and rubbing a little leather conditioner on it ever once in awhile). But after taking a fairly good spill on some gravel double track doing 20mph or so I can say that they are definitely rugged - a few minor scuffs that are barely visible is all it suffered (if only I had been so lucky). I am certain a synthetic saddle would have gotten chewed up a lot worse.

[Jun 05, 2003]
    John

Strength:

Perfect anatomical shape. Leather seems hard to the touch, but however it gives the perfect amount of cushion (when combined with your existing body weight and built in cushion - even for thinnest riders). Hard leather is also the absolute coolest material I've ever used. The springs on the champion flyer are extremely firm and do not bounce while riding (at least for me). The springs offer just the right amount of cushion for hard jolts and jumping up and down in the saddle. Absolutely you must get this saddle from wallbike.com. Best service and no questions asked 6 month warantee. If for any reason you don't like the saddle, you can return it no questions asked!

You have to treat it annually with proofride - but this takes 15 minutes. It's heavy at about 2 lbs - not for weight weenies. It is too wide to get behind on steep descents, and is not likely the perfect MTB saddle, but it's still very good for xc.

Most comfortable saddle you can buy, handmade in england and not from china or taiwan, but weighs 2 pounds.

Selle italia flite Ti gel, Serfas dual density, Avocet (old school), Trek no name saddles.

[Dec 09, 2001]
    Alec

Strength:

perfect commuter saddle, absorbs shocks and potholes, extremely comfortable - like sitting on a plush sofa from heals

well you have to proofide it, and it's kinda heavy

oh man, in utter misery, i've gone through so many saddles, and experienced every kind of pain to every part of my azz as well as *that pain* that only male riders could know....

...i checked up on brooks here on this very site and read the testimonials on the web, before e-mailing brooks themselves and asked them which model would be best for me

...i got a very thorough and helpful reply from nick, who pointed me towards brooks expert ninon, who runs bicycle workshop in westbourne park...she knows every darned thing about brooks!

...well she helped me choose this lovely retro-looking champion flyer (less wide than the conquest and not embossed like the b67) and although it's only been a short time, let me tell ya, my azz is in heaven!! i can ride all over this town without fear of potholes and speed bumps anymore, lol, cause the spring suspension in my damned saddle will take care of it ;)

...i'll post again in a few months after it's run-in, oh man, can you believe it's going to get even more comfortable over time?!! as the english say, that's bloody marvellous, that is

viscount vt2, specialized body geometry, terrys liberator, wtb speed v

[Feb 18, 2002]
    Alec

Strength:

quality design - a big comfy thing for my big ass

a bit heavy - whaddaya expect, look at it, lol

oh man, still the bee's knees, i'm luvin it luvin luvin it...

as previous

[May 29, 2007]
    John Harmon

Strength:

Simply the best quality saddle made. Conforms to you over time.

Pricier than lightweight disposable saddles, that is, until you factor in the lifespan of the saddle which is rumored to sometimes be decades.

For the first few rides, you may wonder if you made a mistake. Then, instead of making peace with the pain, you'll notice the saddle will breakdown a bit on top as it shapes to you. The other thing I've noticed is, not only do the springs absorb the bumps, but the leather itself seems to flex a bit when needed (think of a hammock type flex).
    This saddle makes me wonder if all that padding, gel, etc. on all the other saddles really does much.
    It might be a bit heavy but, now due to the comfort, I ride more and have more than made up the difference in my own weight.

Specialized, flite, SanMarco Rolls(second best).

[Nov 05, 2001]
    The Right Reverend Dick

Strength:

Stylee COMFORT FO YO ASHE. Shock absorption fo yo ashe.

Are you a weight weenie? It is a boat anchor. Okay, it is wide for getting behind the saddle on steep stuff, but you get used to it.

Forget the marketing and mass hysteria. Get this saddle and put it on yer bike. It is springy like we like when we are spun out on a bumpy descent and are literally unable to stand on the pedals or use our legs like "steel springs, boy" for anything other than windmilling. This saddle is made from a natural, renwable resource. It will last a looooong time. During this time, it will not fray or tear or suddenly not be cool. I like it, and to hell with the weight.

Allubdem.

[Jun 15, 2006]
    Matt

Strength:

Classic style; supposedly lasts forever; disappears beneath you on long rides

Costly. Requires some break-in, maintenance and care that a vinyl saddle doesn't. Saddle is finicky about its and your position.

At the advice of Sheldon Brown I ditched my suspension post and went with this sprung saddle. Based on my results after two weeks of riding, about 80 miles total, I think this is going to be a great saddle. The first ride was the most uncomfortable but the discomfort only lasted about five minutes. Once I got settled into a comfortable position it sort of disappeared. For the next few rides it was uncomfortable for a couple of minutes at the start and then did the disappearing act. Now after about 80 miles of break in there really isn't any discomfort at all. The key is finding the exact saddle angle and fore/aft position and then getting into your own stable riding position. One interesting thing is that the saddle bounces when I peddle at too high a cadence. Originally I found that annoying but now I use the bounce as sort of a gear selector advisor. No problem sliding back on steep descents or to get extra leverage. The saddle stays cool even on hot days. In another month this should feel like my couch. Defintely worth giving it a try.

Last saddle was a Selle Royal Lookin mid-cruiser