Brooks B17 Saddle

Brooks B17 Saddle

The B17 is our flagship model, ideal for long distance sports touring, trekking and atb use. It has been on the market for over 100 years. Brooks B-17 Standard Saddles have black painted rails with machine installed tubular rivets. The model is available for gents and ladies.

[Aug 10, 2016]
Christophe Frommelt

Strength:

COMFORT, durability, looks on a touring bike

none (even not maintenance, if treated with profite before riding the first km's)

In terms of comfort, there is nothing like a Brooks B17 once its broken in. 10h + rides and >200km aren't possible for me with another saddle.
Good tip for people who feel sore:
Among the reviews, some people seem to dislike the product as they complain about a sore bum during the first km. This maybe happens if the saddle isn't initially treated with Brooks profide greese (or some good grease for leather shoes), that renders leather saddles a lot more smooth and soft. It is then much better during the initial rides and it then also helps to break in the saddle faster. I can definitely a recommend for all those who have that problem as once broken I believe this saddle is truely the most comfortable on themarket.
It is important to read the manual of the saddle where Brooks recommend this.

Brooks B17 narrow, Brooks Pro Classic

[Aug 12, 2015]
Forster

Strength:

Comfort

Weight, newer style rivets

If the standard saddles were 100 grams lighter and used a better (low profile) rivets it would be perfect. I used the Lon Halderman Break-in method and just broke-in my newest saddle in three rides (ready for a Century ride in less than 1 week). Not sure why the non-copper rivets are the shape they are, or why the quality control in how they're installed varies, but those are minor issues. Also, the black saddles seem to break-in harder than the other colors from my experience (just broke-in my 4th B17).

Ideale (also great), Brooks Cambium (not good).

[Dec 09, 2014]
Captlink

Strength:

Comfort durability quality

I bought a Brooks B-17 Team select back in 1983.It looks much like the standard with large copper rivets.I use it on my sport touring bike and consider it one of the best purchases of my life time.I use mink oil and Johnson's paste wax on it and other than a scuff mark its still like new.I plan on buying another Brooks saddle this year for a new ride.Yes it takes a long time to break in but even new its more comfortable than the latest A** hatchet and will outlive it by decades.

[Jul 23, 2014]
Cape crusader

Strength:

Long term comfort, character, quality, longevity.

Long break in period, needs wet weather protection.

I bought a B17 standard (in honey shade) for my long distance mtb tourer. I did about 1000 km on it before it's first big trip, on daily commutes of 15 km. Still, the jury was out on its comfort credentials after a1600 km trip in rough Australian track conditions, mated to a Thudbuster suspension seat post. Was it any better than my previous vinyl and foam jobs? Only on another recent 1100 km trip did I start to appreciate that it had at last moulded itself to my nether regions. I now even regularly use it on my 29er hard tail mtb on cross country single track rides. I have just recently bought a B17 limited edition World Traveller, simply because I was smitten by its looks with its engraved world map and copper rivets. Comparing the profile of the new seat to my worn in seat shows just how much it has changed its shape over some 5000km of use. A few short rides on the World Traveller again proves that there will be a long somewhat painful break-in period ahead. Incidentally, the World Traveller was well presented in a case containing the saddle, a rain cover, spanner, tin of proofide, polishing cloth, limited edition certificate (mine is #874 of 2012) and a copy of Brooks newspaper The Bugle. A little bit of quality. Personally, I use Snoseal on my saddles, rather than Proofide (which was not supplied with the standard B17) though I think they may be similar products. When camping on long tours I cover the saddle each night with a plastic bag to keep it dry.
Yes, they are quite expensive, but good value for money as I expect them to outlast me. Weight is not important compared to comfort on long rough multiday or weeks of dirt track touring.

Various vinyl and foam cheapies as supplied on bikes.

[Jul 06, 2013]
bikegreece

Strength:

marketing

leather

Brooks make all their products out of leather. They are mass murders They are killing and skin animals for this and you .. riders, you could have settle with any other saddle made from different materials but who cares.

[Jan 24, 2013]
Kenny

Strength:

It fits.

I have 4 of the aged b17s on my 4 bikes. What is different about these is that they "hammock" your butt, they don't cushion it. I highly recommend that you get an "aged" model. Mount it with the top flat, or just a little up at the nose. Tweak it until it is right--that takes me a few rides. To break the aged model in, I wet the tail with a wet cloth, beat the area where your tailbones will make contact about 1000 times with a rubber mallet, and immediately go for a 20 mile ride. Do a couple more rides, then get some leather dye (not polish) and color it top and bottom to your choice of colors. The aged model has laces, and the key to virtually endless miles of comfort for me has been lacing up he nose of the saddle, but leaving the rear section loose/ untied. You don't want it stiff, it just needs to be taught enough to not sag. Same goes for the tensioning bolt at the front of the saddle. The dye protects the leather so care for it like a pair of boots with an occasional bit of leather conditioner (plus keep it dry). I do not believe I will ever ride on anything else!

[Jan 13, 2013]
Chad Estes

Strength:

Comfort; Impeccable Design; Quality, Hand-Made Craftsmanship; Molds to the unique shape of each individual riders sit-bones.

Heavy? Get over it - worry about losing some weight off the engine first.

I have read and researched buying a new saddle for about 4 months now, and I've read both the good and the bad about this saddle. Mine was great right out of the box. I've got mine installed on my Banshee Paradox and the old school look that it gives it is one of a kind.

I mistakenly didn't order any Proofide, so the first 4 rides were without applying any conditioner for the seat. NO PROBLEMS! It took a couple of adjustments to get the seat angle correct for me, but once dialed in, my ass was in heaven! I feel more a part of the bike (versus just sitting on top of my bike) as the suspended leather make the connection between myself and the bike more "alive" as it moves with me, not under me.

So, to me at least, it seems that:

The people that complain about the price are whiny-asses (or broke asses, I'm sure it varies);
The group that worries about a too extended break in period time for this saddle are impatient asses;
The fine folks who put the time in caring for and riding this saddle, realizing that the comfort will continue to get better with age, are the intelligent ones - or the smart asses, however you want to label them.

Bottom line: You can't go wrong with a Brooks saddle. They've been around for over a hundred years, so they must be doing something right. For a product that should last a lifetime, the value, design and functionality are unsurpassed.

[Oct 23, 2012]
Shark Boy

Strength:

Had a Selle Italia leather saddle MANY years ago, and gave it away with the bike. So kept trying to find something to match the comfort without luck. After about 30 years, bit the bullet and went back to a Brooks. Swift is too narrow, but the B17 fits well. Very well. And the B17 Imperial is as near perfect as possible. Now have 3 years on Brooks, everybody gives me heck about the "Old Style" seat with no padding and can't understand how it can be comfortable. I just smile and ask again after 10 hours in the saddle. To the guy on the Tandem on Ride the Rockies, you understand. I've done the tour 9 times now, and after 6-7 days in the saddle and 400-500+ miles in the week, am continually surprised when I get on the bike in the morning at the end of the week and have no sore spots. Incredible. Yes, they're heavy. Yes, they take care and maintenance. But what price comfort?
To those trying a new saddle, try this old racer's trick. Turn the oven on it's absolutely lowest setting (about 150*). Smear a thin coat of Proofhide on the UNDERSIDE of the saddle, and put it in the oven for about 20 minutes. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Aren't you got the large tin of Proofhide? Repeat until it doesn't soak up any more. Then go riding. Helps with break in period and with waterproofing. Still needs some care, but is a great way to start a saddle. I average 2000-5000 miles a year for the last 40 years, and won't go back to anything else. Let them laugh at the old fogie on the old saddle. I'll laugh while dancing in the park at the end of the day.
And yes, anyone who has done Ride the Rockies, I'm Shark Boy!

It's heavier than those featherweight slips of plastic. It takes some breaking in and maintenance. It's more expensive. You get funny looks from disbelievers. For the most comfortable seat out there, I'll take all that. Besides, I could lose some weight on the engine before I worry about weight of the saddle. ;-)

Not a lot to say that isn't above. Read the Strengths for a cool break in tip, but there's only one word that works here. Awesome. OK, Comfort is in there too....

[Jul 10, 2012]
Norris Minick

Strength:

We've tried many saddles for comfort on long rides and finally tried the Brooks this year a few weeks before our second Ride the Rockies tour...6 days 450 miles over some 12,000 foot passes. We found the saddles comfortable from day 1...better after a week...and felt more comfortable after 8-12 hours in the saddle on Ride the Rockes than we did with any prior saddles after 3 or 4 hours. When we got back, I ordered one for my regular road bike...versus our tandem. I don't think I'll ever ride anything else. Walingford Bikes in New Orleans will give you months to try them out and return them if you're not happy.

Heavy I guess. Who cares.

We love the Brooks saddles...after a bunch of 8-12 hour days in the saddles on our tandem going over some 12,000 foot Colorado passes.

[Jul 06, 2012]
Morej

Strength:

Very comfortable, awesome look, quality craftmanship.

Can't set it back as like other saddles.

I built my fat-bike a while ago and did a long search for a good saddle as it is probably the most important part of the bike. I'm doing mostly XC and in town riding for long hours.
You can have the nicest bike with the most expensive components if you can't sit on it for the time you desire.
I'm a 6.5 and 300lbs guy who didn't do any biking in the past few years. After reading lots of reviews my firs choice was the WTB Rocket V race. First impression was good, but after about an hour I just wished I'm back already and can jump off the bike. I give it some time but it didn't want to become any better.
After that I got the Serfas RX performance saddle. It was much better than the WTB, but still wasn't good enough for long rides. I kept the saddle and I bought the Specialized Sonoma gel 160mm saddle. tried it a few times, adjusted it back and fort, no luck, numbness...
After all this I decided to give in. OHHHHHHHH WHAT A DECISION!!!!!! I got the B17 imperial ($115 with shipping). I was a bit skeptical after reading the mixed opinions.
I agree that every one of us is defferent, so one saddle can be heaven for one and hell for someone else. For me, it was love from the first time I rode on it. I didn't have to move around for about an hour. Yesterday I took a 3 hours ride in my regular cargo shorts (no bike shorts). No pain, no numbness, just pure enjoyment. I can't even imagine how good it gets after the break in period. I'm affraid I wont get off the bike anymore! :D
So, if you do long rides, and need a really comfortable saddle, don't be afraid to spend the extra bucks.
Like I said everyone is different but I think in this case the difference will be the length of the break in period.
Awesome product! THANKS BROOKS!